Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Fever

HS2

10 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Then those people will just upsticks and move to another country. 300k individuals in this country pay 30% of all income tax paid to the Government. If they left the UK then that tax would be paid by the rest of us. You want to pay another 10% income tax or whatever?

That is the daftest reason I have heard to defend iniquitous taxation.

• Like 2

On 08/10/2023 at 02:00, Rock The Boat said:

What happens if I don't have sufficient social credit score to be able to call for an Uber? Then I won't be able to travel at all. If having my own personal vehicle that gives me the freedom to travel where and when I want and with whom I want then I don't mind being labelled a backwater.

If you can afford to run a car, you can afford a taxi. 

On 09/10/2023 at 01:23, Rock The Boat said:

Then those people will just upsticks and move to another country. 300k individuals in this country pay 30% of all income tax paid to the Government. If they left the UK then that tax would be paid by the rest of us. You want to pay another 10% income tax or whatever?

If they are only paying the £30k non dom tax then good riddance to them. I doubt the UK will miss them. I don’t want those sort of scroungers here because that’s what they are. 

I bet they expect a fire engine to turn up when their multi million pound apartment is ablaze. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Errmmm...what?

Read his post. He would rather have his own car but argues his finances are not in decent shape to order an Uber cab. The two arguments don’t correspond. 

Edited by duke63

11 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Read his post. He would rather have his own car but argues his finances are not in decent shape to order an Uber cab. The two arguments don’t correspond. 

Are we talking in the current day? In which case, it is much cheaper to run a car than to pay for taxi's/ubers for every journey.

6 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Firstly, you are suggesting it is quite OK if the people who pay 30% of income tax stop doing so and you think there will be no consequences to you personally and the country in general. 

Secondly you misunderstood the part where I said what if I do not have the social credit score to use one of the state owned vehicles. I wasn't referring to the lack of money. I was referring to the brave new world that already exists in China where the state can deem you a person not worthy of privileges such as travel, entertainment, housing and so on if you do not have the right thinking. These are the consequences of giving up our freedoms. It begins with giving up the freedom to own your own vehicle. 

On 06/10/2023 at 14:58, duke63 said:

Nor has he said what jobs all these elderly people will be doing. 

The best thing this country could do is make offshore tax havens illegal, taxing all the assets in the Crown dependency ones at 40% and using the cash raised to make Britain a better place for the majority who live here and not for the richest minority. 

Im not holding my breath though when the idiots in charge are sill advocating tax cuts when the Country is declining and decaying at a rapid rate and badly in need on infrastructure investment. 

Spot on. Speaking as someone with 40 years experience in the industry, I can confirm that Britain is the world champion of tax avoidance (although much of it is actually evasion). One in 3 bank accounts in tax havens is controlled by a UK resident. Unfortunately the Labour Party is saying nothing about it, quite possibly because they don't understand it. 

Try reading this

Treasure Islands:Tax Havens and the Men who Stole the World https://amzn.eu/d/hlDptme

As for domicile, it is clear there will be some high profile departures from the UK but the Russians will probably have to stay because no one else will take them. 

But how on earth Labour knows how much these people have invested elsewhere in the world I don't know. They must simply be guessing. All you need to do is hide the money offshore with a linked bank card and spend away quite happily. You'd have to be very unlucky to be caught. 

5 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Firstly, you are suggesting it is quite OK if the people who pay 30% of income tax stop doing so and you think there will be no consequences to you personally and the country in general. 

Secondly you misunderstood the part where I said what if I do not have the social credit score to use one of the state owned vehicles. I wasn't referring to the lack of money. I was referring to the brave new world that already exists in China where the state can deem you a person not worthy of privileges such as travel, entertainment, housing and so on if you do not have the right thinking. These are the consequences of giving up our freedoms. It begins with giving up the freedom to own your own vehicle. 

Non doms don’t pay 30% tax. They pay £30,000 and absolve themselves of having to declare their income here. 

5 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Spot on. Speaking as someone with 40 years experience in the industry, I can confirm that Britain is the world champion of tax avoidance (although much of it is actually evasion). One in 3 bank accounts in tax havens is controlled by a UK resident. Unfortunately the Labour Party is saying nothing about it, quite possibly because they don't understand it. 

Try reading this

Treasure Islands:Tax Havens and the Men who Stole the World https://amzn.eu/d/hlDptme

As for domicile, it is clear there will be some high profile departures from the UK but the Russians will probably have to stay because no one else will take them. 

But how on earth Labour knows how much these people have invested elsewhere in the world I don't know. They must simply be guessing. All you need to do is hide the money offshore with a linked bank card and spend away quite happily. You'd have to be very unlucky to be caught. 

Have a watch if the Spiders Web on YouTube re offshore tax havens. 
Half the wealth of the World is believed to be hidden in them but because most have no obligation to companies based there to produce accounts then no one has any idea of the true figure. It’s bound to be even greater. 
It’s  a closed shop arrangement amongst top public school educated idiots who are effectively saying one rule for us and another for everyone else. The UK could easily solve its financial problems by closing the loopholes especially as some are Crown dependencies. 

12 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Non doms don’t pay 30% tax. They pay £30,000 and absolve themselves of having to declare their income here. 

I ďidnt say that non doms paid 30% tax. You seem to misunderstand my posts. I said there are approximately 300,000 individuals who pay 30% of the government's income tax revenues. Ìf you have worked in the industry for 40 years you probably know this already. What you should also know is that those individuals are likely to be highly mobile and can domicile anywhere. They are likely to be business owners and employers. So putting up income tax is not the simple matter you allude to.  When those people unstick and leave the tax burden falls on the poorer people. 

17 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Have a watch if the Spiders Web on YouTube re offshore tax havens. 
Half the wealth of the World is believed to be hidden in them but because most have no obligation to companies based there to produce accounts then no one has any idea of the true figure. It’s bound to be even greater. 
It’s  a closed shop arrangement amongst top public school educated idiots who are effectively saying one rule for us and another for everyone else. The UK could easily solve its financial problems by closing the loopholes especially as some are Crown dependencies. 

A great way for the poor to become poorer.  You also misunderstand how the rich operate. While some wealth may be stashed away in secret bank accounts and strong boxes most wealth is put to work investing in enterprises. The rich get rich and remain rich through investing. Inflation makes sure that idle assets depreciate. Secondly the UK banning private banking accounts is a bit like the UK achieving net zero carbon emissions. If no one else does it, it makes not one bit of difference 

4 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

A great way for the poor to become poorer.  You also misunderstand how the rich operate. While some wealth may be stashed away in secret bank accounts and strong boxes most wealth is put to work investing in enterprises. The rich get rich and remain rich through investing. Inflation makes sure that idle assets depreciate. Secondly the UK banning private banking accounts is a bit like the UK achieving net zero carbon emissions. If no one else does it, it makes not one bit of difference 

No that's not so. Money offshore is not to avoid tax on interest, it's there so the authorities don't know about it at all. For example, Chinese companies generally offer volume discounts to their customers. If you buy 1 million widgets you get, say, a 3% discount which is paid retrospectively. The discount is often paid straight to a BVI company so the tax authority knows nothing about it. Quite often the Chinese supplier gets a kick back as well. Once the customer has their refund it can be spent by using a bank card linked to the BVI company's bank account. A friend who has a dog collar business went to China recently to get quotes from 3 suppliers and this arrangement was offered by all of them. Two of them insisted on it. 

To say it won't make any difference if only the UK attacks these arrangements isn't true. The EU has recently introduced anti corruption legislation which is one of the reasons that Rees Mogg, Farage and Banks were so keen to leave. And in any case, Germany for example is nowhere near as bad as us. 

As I said in an earlier post, the British control 1 in 3 bank accounts in tax havens worldwide. We are world champions. 

As for footballers and image rights, don't get me started. The Spanish caught Ronaldo, Messi and Mourinho but I'm sure our lot are sqeeky clean....