TIL 1010

Southend United On The Brink.

10 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Who is your “first” team, it’s confusing.

You have a free season ticket at Norwich but pay for one (some?) at Cambridge and Southend used to be (?) your second team.

But it seems that you’ve promoted Cambridge to position 1, you happily spend your groats and oats there. But they usurped Southend. So are Southend now 2? Or did Cambridge jump from 3 to 1. (We did that under Lambert).

You also rate Burnley. It’s all very confusing. Maybe you should take up golf? I think you can have 14 in your bag and if you put your Norwich City one in the middle, all the others could knock it with minimal effort from you. 

My golf is coming on quite nicely. Have had a couple of birdies lately. Quite fond of the 4 wood and 6 iron at the moment. Nice of you to ask.

11 hours ago, essex canary said:

What assessment did you arrive at with Burnley? They have positive shareholder funds of over £100 million on account of earning more than £250 million per year than NCFC during continuous top 22 finishes in the past 10 years whilst having a similar wage bill to ourselves offset partially by typically a net £15 million a season in transfers. In the Sky documentary relating to last season, Vincent Kompany refers to them as the only profitable club in the Championship.

I dont think Burnley was one i got to look at but, looking now, yes they are in a healthy position.

They alos somehow managed to refinance their external debt at Libor + 8% to a fixed rate of 7.5% which is a remarkable piece of business looking at interest rates now.

That said their immediate parent company has not filed accounts since October 2021 and are now overdue which tends to mean there is something wrong that they dont want dsiclosed at this point in time.

2 minutes ago, duke63 said:

I dont think Burnley was one i got to look at but, looking now, yes they are in a healthy position.

They alos somehow managed to refinance their external debt at Libor + 8% to a fixed rate of 7.5% which is a remarkable piece of business looking at interest rates now.

That said their immediate parent company has not filed accounts since October 2021 and are now overdue which tends to mean there is something wrong that they dont want dsiclosed at this point in time.

But just to add Burnley FC is owed £114 million by its parent company, the one that has overdue accounts and Companies House have attempted to strike off at least once.

I have a soft spot for Southend F.C. I used to visit Rootes Hall when I worked in the Basildon area for a year and a colleague was a fan. Games were always Friday nights then as I believe they suffered from competition from the London Clubs (especially West Ham) with the 3pm Saturday spot.

The Southenders deserve better, but size-wise the town has probably been overtaken by Basildon nowadays.

Perhaps Basildon will do a Milton Keynes and usurp the club.

The Basildon Shrimpers? .... Nah!

Listening to BBC Essex on the way home and they covered the point that Ron Martin gave a different version of events about his ability to pay the amount owed to HMRC the day after the court ruling. The staff's wages are due to be paid next week and if they aren't paid then there is a further points deduction by the National League. The account about a buyer and a deal done by the end of September also lacks credibility. There apparently is a protest tonight in their game v Eastleigh in the 10th minute but I doubt Martin will be anywhere near the ground to hear it. 

On 24/08/2023 at 10:10, Bert said:

Like our owners Ron Martin is a basket case of an owner, his ownership of the club has seen terminal decline 

We've declined terminally, have we?

Good to see that they seem to be making progress with someone who is genuinely keen and the Club staying at Roots Hall. The new owners statement seems a bit warmer than anything we have heard.

Edited by essex canary