cambridgeshire canary

Not the top 20 podcasts final table prediction

32 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'd be interested to know where people predicted Sheffield United to finish last year- they are the team we're most similar to in my view, disapointing first season after relegation, making changes to the squad but not hugely fancied.

We probably need to loan in someone of McAtee's quality, or if we don't then have to pray the gods are with us as far as injuries are concerned. Without him Ndiaye would not have fired and their season would have petered out as their injuries bit deep ito their squad. If you think Idah is bad, wait till you see Jebberson! 

But yes, I think we now have the makings of a good hard working if unspectacular team (barring Sara). We could just emulate them.

1 minute ago, shefcanary said:

We probably need to loan in someone of McAtee's quality, or if we don't then have to pray the gods are with us as far as injuries are concerned. Without him Ndiaye would not have fired and their season would have petered out as their injuries bit deep ito their squad. If you think Idah is bad, wait till you see Jebberson! 

But yes, I think we now have the makings of a good hard working if unspectacular team (barring Sara). We could just emulate them.

Yeah I'd love to see us get an exciting loanee in to give us some extra impetus in the attacking 3rd. 

Jebbison is fantastic on Football Manager randomly.

• Like 1

Ok, here's my 1-24 predictions. 

1. Southampton - Led by a manager who knows this division well and had a far poorer Swansea side playing some of the best football in the league at the end of last season, even assuming they will lose Ward Prowse, Walker Peters, Livramento and Lavia, I still think Southampton have players like Nathan Tella, Adam Armstrong and Stuart Armstrong and have got Ryan Manning (who I think is a phenomenal player) and William Smallbone, back from having a breakthrough season with Stoke on loan last year. With this breadth of talent, I think they will comfortably win the league this year.
  2. Leicester - Like last year I see a run away top two with Leicester being the other side to run away with the league. Even with the players they've lost, they have a core of players too good for this league and led by the likes of Ihenacho, Daka and Vardy I think they'll score plenty. One concern for them is going from Dean Smith to their current manager may see them have a hangover while they adjust to a new style.
  3. Millwall - Another side who have done well this close season with Kevin Nisbet a player I fancy to score well, Joe Bryan for me, one of the best signings this summer and Wes Harding an underrated signing. A lot depends on Zian Flemming. If they keep him, a front three of Nisbet, Bradshaw and Flemming could be absolute dynamite and the reason I tip them to break into the top six. With the experience of last season, I'm predicting Millwall to be the Luton of this year.
  4. Swansea - A manager I really rate, at present seemingly keeping Joel Piroe (news breaking literally as I type suggesting he has committed to staying with them) and have bought for just £2.5m Jerry Yates from Blackpool, who if you look into on a statistical level was absolutely unbelievable last season and a player I would have moved mountains to sign if I were a Championship manager myself. The loss of Manning is a big blow, but Matt Grimes still being there is a massive boost for them and I think they will take the end of season form from last year into this year to surprise a few and just sneak into the top six.
  5. Middlesbrough - With injuries to Chuba Akpom and the loss of key playmaker Ryan Giles and loanee Cameron Archer and most of their new signings likely going to need time to bed in having been brought in from some far flung places, I can see a slow start for Boro turning into a far stronger finish as a squad gels together and finds it’s rhythm. I suspect they’ll just get in, however, they may miss out on the top six given these early season issues. I am a big Michael Carrick fan though, and I think the battle between Boro, Leeds and Sunderland this season for the final top six spaces could be one of the key battles in this year’s league. 
  6. Leeds - I think will suffer a poor start, have lost considerable numbers of players and still for me have a question mark over them about a consistent goal scorer and goal creator. Said to be in for Joel Piroe which will help them but also still in the middle of a fire sale which may see more players leave. I also think Farke will not survive the season and their turn around will come after he's replaced. 
  7. Sunderland - Probably my favourite side in the Championship except Norwich, young players that play a progressive brand of football who have brought well (Bradley Dack is an astute signing, Jobe Bellingham has great potential and the lad from PSV is said to be very good) while resisting offers for Jack Clarke makes this a team who I think will do well this season. But there’s talk of them losing Ross Stewart and the loss of Amad Diallo, who was my player of the season last year for the whole league, makes replicating their sixth place finish tough. 
  8. Cardiff - Another side I expect to surprise a few, I think Aaron Ramsey will galvanise a side which isn’t devoid of talent (Callum Robinson and Callum O’Dowda are underrated, IMO) and I expect signings of Karlan Grant and Yakou Meite to prove pretty shrewd acquisitions. A solid championship side with a single stand out player in Aaron Ramsey who I think will just be off the pace to sneak into the top six. 
  9. Birmingham - Since their take over, they’ve been buying really well - Dion Sanderson is a good player at this level and knows the club following his loan last year, Lee Buchanan and Ethan Laird represent quality attacking full backs at this level and in Krystian Bielik they have a genuine Premier League talent - if they can keep fit. I also rate John Eustace as a manager and can see this being a season of some progress given the greater stability, the young team they’re building and signings made. With a season of bedding in this young side and some more improvement, Birmingham might be the team to watch for next season. But I expect this season to be just a bit early for them.  
  10. Stoke - I like the cut of Stoke’s gib. Jacob Brown and Tyrese Campbell have been improving year on year and at least one of them is now due a real breakthrough year. Enda Stevens is a shrewd signing at left back, Ki-Jana Hoever a smart signing at right back and Mark Travers a vast improvement on what they had before. With Ben Pearson to shore them up in defensive midfield and the likes of Lewis Baker likely to bring his exceptional performance from last season into this, I think Stoke could be up there, I really do. Alex Neil is a great manager at this level too, who I think is due a good season. 
  11. Hull - A bit like Stoke, Hull are a team I predict to do well every year and a team that usually just peters out to nothing despite getting a couple of attention grabbing wins in the process. But they have some players I really like - Ruben Vinagre could be the loan deal of the summer, IMO and Liam Delap has the capability of scoring shed loads, as well as existing players like Ozan Tufan, Regan Slater and Jacob Greaves who are among the better players in this league. If they can find a creative player who can unlock this side, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them competing around the playoffs. 
  12. Ipswich - If I detach and look at this league and Ipswich dispassionately and without bias, I still see a side that doesn’t have a clear candidate to score consistently (Conor Chaplin had a real stand out season last year - but has struggled at Championship level when played with Barnsley) and also think that assists this year will be more difficult to come by, with Leif Davies likely going to be more pressed into defensive duties this season leaving Wes Burns with a big responsibility. I also think they haven’t bought that great. Jack Taylor is a player I like but questions remain on whether he can step up. Omari Hutchinson is a player lots are getting excited about - but plays in the same position as Wes Burns. I still see a team on the up, with considerable momentum, led by a manager who I think has all the hallmarks of being a top, top manager one day and a team with a lot to like, but I don’t see the top six side that everyone else is crowing over. I can easily see Norwich and Ipswich being involved in their own little tussle to see who gets a slightly higher in a battle for mid table mediocrity. 
  13. Norwich - You already know my thinking - strong defence, weak in offence, good first eleven, poor squad depth. I think a lot of 0-0s or 1-1s will be on the card. I think Wagner will be gone at some point during the season to let the new Sporting Director bring his own man in, or even to allow Narcis Pelach to take the top spot. You heard it here first. Maybe.
  14. Coventry - I think anyone who loses a player of the abilities of Gyorkeres is going to suffer the season after. And in Elis Simms - the player they’ve spent £7m on as his replacement - I think they have a player who I don’t see being able to score the goals. However, they still have Gustavo Hamer (one of my favourite players in this league) and in Tatsuhiro Sakamoto they’ve signed a player capable of being a real creative force, if he can settle and produce some of his best football. 
  15. Bristol City - Alot of people rate Bristol’s chances highly this year. I’m not buying it. I think they have some great young players - I’m a big fan of Tommy Conway who impressed me massively at Carrow Road last season - but I think the loss of Alex Scott, the continued difficulties they’re suffering having lost Antoine Semenyo and the decline of Nahki Wells and Andreas Weimann towards the end of last season will likely continue, and I don’t see they’ve bought all that well (people on here raved about Rob Dickie - but QPR fans were absolutely fine with him leaving). I’m not a fan of Nigel Pearson either and I see a season of mid table mediocrity for them. The one thing that may need to be factored in is how they spend the money from Alex Scott. 
  16. Watford - On the slide, managed by a manager I think was a one season wonder at Barnsley and have lost Joao Pedro, Ismaila Sarr and Keinan Davies which together accounts for 41 goals and assists from last year? Their replacements - Tom Ince, who we’ve all discussed enough until the cows come home, Rhys Healey who has returned from injury after being a key figure in Toulouse’s promotion from Ligue 2, Jamal Lewis who will need time after being a forgotten figure at Newcastle and a Georgian lad who is seemingly highly thought of but has typically drifted around poorer European leagues only. I don’t see much from Watford but think they have enough about them to remain out of the relegation picture. 
  17. WBA - I can’t shake the feeling WBA is a side on a sharp decline. Undeniably a club with no shortage of talented players like Brandon Thomas-Asante, John Swift, Jed Wallace and Daryl Dike, but they have only signed Sarmiento on loan from Brighton, have sold key players like Dara O’Shea, have players (including their first choice and sub goalkeeper) under offer from Luton and Southampton respectively with suggestion that more sales will happen given the financial limitations they have. I also am not convinced by Carlos Corberan. Maybe a controversial opinion.  
  18. Blackburn - I’m a big fan of Jon Dahl Tommasson and Gregg Broughton and would be absolutely over the moon if they end up at Carrow Road the pair of them; but I continue to think Blackburn is one of the most difficult jobs out there. The loss of key player Breton Diaz accounts for 20 goals and assists lost and Bradley Dack 10 goals and assists lost. The question remains - how are they going to make up those numbers? Incoming is Niall Enis on a free from Plymouth, who has done okay at best at League One level in the past, and Sondre Tronstad who sounds to be more of a defensive minded player. Further incomings seem to be in the works, but with stories of funding from the Venkys drying up, I suspect a tough season is ahead for Blackburn. 
  19. Plymouth - You absolutely could swap Ipswich and Plymouth around and make a good case for it. Both led by young, progressive managers, both have done amazing things for their clubs and Plymouth have bought well, with young Morgan Whittaker and Lewis Gibson being fabulous signings. What I do think they lack which Ipswich have more of is Championship experience. Plymouth have a young team, a great atmosphere at the club and a real belief they’re going places - and I can’t see them troubled by relegation next season 
  20. Preston - It is from here down that I would predict the teams who are involved in the relegation picture. Starting with Preston. Ryan Lowe is a manager who I think isn’t bad at all, but is facing some of the most difficult circumstances in Championship football. However, he’s signed some decent players particularly from Liverpool in Calvin Ramsay on loan and Layton Stewart. If those two actually meet their potential, they might be able to cause a few shocks. Will Keane is a player who also quietly performs season in, season out and could be shrewd. But last season not a single player achieved more than 3 assists. Not a single player scored more than 9 goals (the second highest goalscorer being a loanee who has not returned). It feels a big gamble on three players picked up who could just as easily struggle as succeed. 
  21. Rotherham - I like Rotherham’s manager, Matt Taylor, very, very much. So much so if Wagner were to go, Taylor would be one I’d be suggesting we have a look at. His performance first at Exeter was fantastic and leading Rotherham to Championship survival last season was incredible. I’m hopeful he can do it again - but he’s up against it having lost key players like Wes Harding and Chiedozie Ogbene. I still think they can keep their heads just above water though.  
  22. Huddersfield - Just two new signings being Blackpool’s keeper and Tom Edwards on loan from Stoke while having lost Etienne Camara and having gone through a bit of a rollercoaster 12m, Huddersfield are relying on Neil Warnock carrying his magic from last season into this. I can’t see that happening and if Warnock finds his magic touch missing, I can see Huddersfield going down. 
  23. QPR - Feels like a club in a real death spiral at the moment. Poor form last season, little to tell they have halted the slide, signings made which have not galvanised the support and a manager who has struggled at this level consistently. Illias Chair is a player who is absolutely essential to them and if he finds form he can make this team tick - but I have doubts over a manager who I don’t think has it in his locker to succeed at this level and a squad with only one way to play - namely hoof it to Lyndon Dykes. 
  24. Sheffield Wednesday - I can’t see anything beyond Wednesday going straight back down, given they have lost inspirational manager Darren Moore, have a very small squad of players that needs urgent attention and the appointment of a manager in Xiscoe Munoz who has succeeded at Watford, but not really done too much elsewhere. The Chairman seems intent on making Hillsborough a morgue this year with comfortably the most expensive ticket prices around and a team with little to get excited about. 
Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

I don't agree. All three sides coming down have much stronger squads than us, watford and Burnley did.

Then on top of that, us, Watford, WBA, Middlesbrough are all still in the division.

It's much, much stronger than last year on paper.

Watford - Equally as mediocre squad as ourselves. Lost Sarr and Pedro and signed Jake Livermore and Tom Ince. Behind the scenes the club is a mess to boot.

West Brom - See Watford.

Middlesbrough - Decent side with a decent manager, expect them to be challenging as they were last year. 

People tend to overate the three teams coming down from the Premier League. Yes, they have more money to spend than most of the other teams in the league but that's largely as a result of selling their crown jewels. Not forgetting, even with their respective 'crown jewels' they were still the three worst sides in their league the year before. 

Leeds - Have you seen how many players they have lost? and not to decent fees either, alot of loans out to cover the wages and that's with a squad that was incredibly porous last year. Farke was a decent appointment but has a job on his hands.

Leicester - Perhaps the best equipped for me but have gambled on their manager and the signing of Harry Winks is poor for me. I like the Coady buy but he'll be injured at the start. Lost Maddison, Barnes, Tielemans amongst others. 

Southampton - The worst side in the league last year. Likely to lose their two best players, i.e. Lavia and JWP. Russel Martin is an understandable appointment and I think they'll be up there but certainly nothing to fear. 

Whilst I do agree the league will be stronger this year than last, there are two major caveats to that:

1) The Championship last year was the worst I can ever remember in terms of team quality and individual player quality. It was impossible to get weaker.

2) As stated above, make no mistake, this league is wide open for a Sunderland, 'Boro, etc. to take and why not Ipswich? Look at Sunderland last year as I said, look at Luton last year. 

I obviously don't want Ipswich to go up and the expense of us (I appreciate I'm one of the very few that would like to see both clubs in the top league competing for the derby each year). 

In this league any squad with hungry bought into the coaches approach and able to consistently deliver that style beyond the starting xi will gain confidence can do very well, that could be any of 16 or so clubs, with the odds in the relegated clubs favour.

Hmm do I detect a formula they have the 3 relegated teams in the same places as last year. Predictions are rather pointless when 6 points can separate half the table but yes we should have made the playoffs last year. 

Opta ran 10,000 seperate forecasts and they have us mid tyable and Ipswich at 18th -

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/08/championship-2023-24-season-predictions-opta/