RobJames

Nine subs next season

1970's we had just the one sub, before that none at all.  Now we have gone rapidly from 7 to 9.  Why stop there, 25 man squad why not 14 men on the bench.  This is getting ridiculous I yearn for those days of 7 subs one keeper, 2 defenders, midfield and striking options seemed sensible.  Can we fill the quota with enough quality? 

On 29/06/2023 at 22:03, cambridgeshire canary said:

Can't wait for all the time wasting subs as soon as any team is in the lead during extra time

Luckily that's not something we'll have to concern ourselves with.

Not sure why everyone is crying as if this is new to us, we had 9 subs in our latest recent spells in the Premier. 

Seems excessive, but the real debate should be about how it affects City.

The wealthier, larger squads will be given more flexibility during the game and so it should make them even more of a force.

I suppose NCFC are around middle-range as far as this goes, but should still have enough players with recent PL experience to gain in some way.

With our emphasis on youth production, then even more of our youngster might get a look in, even if it's a few minutes pitch time at the very end of a game.

I cannot think of other benefits, except that Wagner is less reluctant to use his subs than many and is not afraid go all out when chasing a game.

We retain some decent strength in depth from our PL days.

5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Seems excessive, but the real debate should be about how it affects City.

The wealthier, larger squads will be given more flexibility during the game and so it should make them even more of a force.

I suppose NCFC are around middle-range as far as this goes, but should still have enough players with recent PL experience to gain in some way.

With our emphasis on youth production, then even more of our youngster might get a look in, even if it's a few minutes pitch time at the very end of a game.

I cannot think of other benefits, except that Wagner is less reluctant to use his subs than many and is not afraid go all out when chasing a game.

We retain some decent strength in depth from our PL days.

This is definitely 💯 👌 where it could be very useful. The youngsters get to actually play even for a few minutes with the big boys. Can only be a good thing for confidence and development. 

Good ideas are always simple.