Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

Andy Rourke RIP

Haven't seen any post about Andy Rourke's death so posting one here. He was someone absolutely of my era and I used to like his bold bass lines.

• Sad 1

My daughter alerted me to this news early morning. She was brought up listening to the Smiths etc on the way to swimming lessons in the car. Probably my favourite band of all time and I recommend ‘The Queen Is Dead’ album to anyone for pure poetry and genius for personal music moments. 

Oh dear, still one of my favourite bands, saw them just after their second single came out and before the first album.

RIP

C4DDE838-F384-49D8-8C5D-96AE0C6EF3D5.jpeg

A252278E-ACF2-4C9A-AF36-961AA79DAC67.jpeg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Oh dear, still one of my favourite bands, saw them just after their second single came out and before the first album.

RIP

C4DDE838-F384-49D8-8C5D-96AE0C6EF3D5.jpeg

A252278E-ACF2-4C9A-AF36-961AA79DAC67.jpeg

Was that the first time he’d held a pen ?

• Haha 1

I nodded off to this bassline on loop earlier. RIP Andy. (I didn't get The Smiths until well after they had gone.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Herman said:

I nodded off to this bassline on loop earlier. RIP Andy. (I didn't get The Smiths until well after they had gone.)

There was an article (can't recall which one now) of the view that he was the third musical 'force' in The Smiths - who was however less recognised, because of the sheer personality of Mozza and quite obviously, the song writing genius of Marr. Such seems the lot of many bassists (occasionally, some are revered of course).

• Like 1

Put him alongside John Entwistle, John Paul Jones and John Deacon.

On 19/05/2023 at 21:47, Midlands Yellow said:

My daughter alerted me to this news early morning. She was brought up listening to the Smiths etc on the way to swimming lessons in the car. Probably my favourite band of all time and I recommend ‘The Queen Is Dead’ album to anyone for pure poetry and genius for personal music moments. 

Quite poignant that a guy who wrote the Queen is dead died less than a year after the Queen died.

On 20/05/2023 at 18:01, FenwayFrank said:

Was that the first time he’d held a pen ?

Well, by this time he had submitted several scripts for Coronation Street, written booklets about the New York Dolls and James Dean, worked for Record Mirror and had written amazing lyrics for The Smiths’ first album so I’m guessing no, it wasn’t the first time.

3 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Well, by this time he had submitted several scripts for Coronation Street, written booklets about the New York Dolls and James Dean, worked for Record Mirror and had written amazing lyrics for The Smiths’ first album so I’m guessing no, it wasn’t the first time.

Thanks for clearing that up 👍