Sign in to follow this  
Don’t be Krul

Ivan Toney banned 8 months

If he wasn’t betting on matches involving Brentford then so what. If he was betting on matches involving Brentford then we’re looking at potential match fixing and a lifetime ban. 

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

To make it semi NCFC relevant - Brentford likely to now need a striker who has proven he can score goals in the top flight, is inexpensive and won't mind playing second fiddle once Toney is back and suits a side built around possession based, clever football. 

Sound like a certain Finnish legend just released from here, maybe?

You watched much of Brentford? Like most PL teams their football is about counter attacking, set pieces, pace, ball carrying and stopping the opposition playing. I don't think they'd want Pukki because he isn't quick enough and isn't great at ball carrying. 

I know it sounds like I'm pulling you up for a small, insignificant point but there's a bit of a myth about Brentford because of how they played in the Championship but in the top flight they don't play like that and have averaged 43% possession in games this year. 

3 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

their football is about counter attacking, set pieces, pace, ball carrying and stopping the opposition playing.

not much else left after that

1 hour ago, PockthorpePete said:

I would think the authorities are well aware of that, hence it being 10 months.

It does smack of 'pour encourage les autres'.  Football must be seen to be taking this stuff seriously, can't have the game being brought into disrepute. It will be interesting to see what he actually did. Any suggestion of match fixing in any shape or form will see his career over. Any game he plays in will be subject to cries of 'fix'.

It isn’t 10 months it’s 8

11 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

not much else left after that

If you want to survive as a newly promoted team there isn't really much else you need to focus on. Patient, short sideways passing is for teams who are technically superior for the league they're in. It's no mystery to me why they did well and we got battered every week. 

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Yes, it does. He can start training with Brentford again in four months, on September 17, and can play from January 17 next year.

Knowing Webber we will agree to loan Toney till January 

Edited by norfolkngood
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

You watched much of Brentford? Like most PL teams their football is about counter attacking, set pieces, pace, ball carrying and stopping the opposition playing. I don't think they'd want Pukki because he isn't quick enough and isn't great at ball carrying. 

I know it sounds like I'm pulling you up for a small, insignificant point but there's a bit of a myth about Brentford because of how they played in the Championship but in the top flight they don't play like that and have averaged 43% possession in games this year. 

Although we’ve played somewhat differently in the last couple of months, likely in part as a development to make us able to cope without having Toney whose skill set is not immediately replaceable at anything like an affordable price. So we’ve reverted to 433 and getting the newer players acclimatised to doing more with possession. For instance, back in January we had 27% possession beating Liverpool at home 3-1 whereas a couple of weeks ago we had 46% in our 1-0 defeat at Anfield. 

But either way I can’t really see Pukki fitting either in the low block/fast break 532 or the more possession based 433 due to a lack of pace.