Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

Wrexham V Norwich

As I don't have the channel that shows the Wrexham documentary about the takeover I've just watched the programme on the BBC last night. During a chat with Dixie McNeil (about 8 minutes in) they show a goal he scored against us and quite frankly it's appalling the defenders are terrible and the lack of effort from Keelan to save the shot is laughable.

Whoever the manager was at the time (Saunders?) should've fined them all a weeks wages and given the total (probably about £400 in those days) to charity.

18 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

As I don't have the channel that shows the Wrexham documentary about the takeover I've just watched the programme on the BBC last night. During a chat with Dixie McNeil (about 8 minutes in) they show a goal he scored against us and quite frankly it's appalling the defenders are terrible and the lack of effort from Keelan to save the shot is laughable.

Whoever the manager was at the time (Saunders?) should've fined them all a weeks wages and given the total (probably about £400 in those days) to charity.

I went to a League Cup tie there in the late 70's. We won 3-2. Keelan got a lovely reception from the crowd who remembered him from his time there. 

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

That may have been the FA Cup match which we lost and we had really hit rock bottom. But it was very similar to DFs first season. It was building something.

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

That may have been the FA Cup match which we lost and we had really hit rock bottom. But it was very similar to DFs first season. It was building something.

I was at that game. It was back in the days where thr FA Cup was the highlight of the season. We still expected to cause upsets not be on the wrong end of one. Saunders and especially Watling were pariahs. Many of those square frisbees were thrown in disgust.

Apart from the promotion under Worthington and a brief few months when Hughton was in charge when has a Norwich side ever been able to defend? I feel like it's on our DNA to give away cheap and easy goals. Whenever (and it happens rarely) I see another side hit a suicidal pass across their box that goes to another player, their CB's lose the ball carelessly or just allow a team to run through them while standing off I always think that's such a Norwich thing to do. I rarely see other clubs have as many calamitous incidents at the back watching the highlights most weeks. Obviously every fan think's that their club is unique in some way and often it's just confirmation bias because they watch their club more than others but I swear we must be one of the worst professional clubs for giving away easy goals going back years now. 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

Slightly ironically I was watching an old BIG Match on TV at lunchtime, City were at home to Arsenal and beat them 1-0 in a pretty one sided game to Arsenal, but, Keelan was inspired, pulling off about three worldies and one save from Malcolm Macdonald that left the striker with a few "kind" words to say to him.

3 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Apart from the promotion under Worthington and a brief few months when Hughton was in charge when has a Norwich side ever been able to defend? I feel like it's on our DNA to give away cheap and easy goals. Whenever (and it happens rarely) I see another side hit a suicidal pass across their box that goes to another player, their CB's lose the ball carelessly or just allow a team to run through them while standing off I always think that's such a Norwich thing to do. I rarely see other clubs have as many calamitous incidents at the back watching the highlights most weeks. Obviously every fan think's that their club is unique in some way and often it's just confirmation bias because they watch their club more than others but I swear we must be one of the worst professional clubs for giving away easy goals going back years now. 

When we had Bruce and Watson in central defence.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Went to the Racecourse Ground in 1981, we won 3-2, I remember Greg Shepherd scoring, cannot remember who got the other two for us.........

Did a bit of research, Mark Barham and Ross Jack were the other scorers. McNeil scored a pen for Wrexham........

10 hours ago, Miss Demeanor said:

Slightly ironically I was watching an old BIG Match on TV at lunchtime, City were at home to Arsenal and beat them 1-0 in a pretty one sided game to Arsenal, but, Keelan was inspired, pulling off about three worldies and one save from Malcolm Macdonald that left the striker with a few "kind" words to say to him.

I was standing behind that incident. Mcdonald couldn't believe Keelan had saved it and gave him a complimentary mouthful.