Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

On A Positive Note

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Really? Ignoring the conjecture about the Webbers, which may or may not come to pass, do you not think that Attanasio might bide his time on the takeover? In a couple of weeks, the overall value of the club could be drastically different based on whether or not we have a chance of factoring in the PL riches to the club's valuation?

I add the caveat that I know nothing of matters fiscal, but surely our league status would have an impact upon the value of S&J's shareholding?

FtW, Attanasio knows we have been yo-young between the top two divisions. Being in the Championship for one season might alter the price a bit, but not his overall plans, which will not have been based on the assumption we would be in the Premier League. If we looked like having a prolonged spell in the  Championship it might be different, but I suspect he will have made a decisive move before then.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Anyone actually think our owners want to sell up?

Yes.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 1

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

FtW, Attanasio knows we have been yo-young between the top two divisions. Being in the Championship for one season might alter the price a bit, but not his overall plans, which will not have been based on the assumption we would be in the Premier League. If we looked like having a prolonged spell in the  Championship it might be different, but I suspect he will have made a decisive move before then.

That makes sense, thanks. A prolonged spell in the Championship does look likely without his interjection, though, so fingers crossed this all gets resolved satisfactorily over the coming months.

If the league we're playing in next season isn't that much of a factor, though, what do you think is causing this delay? We're two months on from the extra shares being released, after all?

The Webbers are milking it and who really can blame them given the opportunity. 
We are a joke club. 
Go and borrow and use others money just as all other clubs do. 
No team in Prem or Champs has ever been forced to go skint. 
Sod it just grt on with it

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

That makes sense, thanks. A prolonged spell in the Championship does look likely without his interjection, though, so fingers crossed this all gets resolved satisfactorily over the coming months.

If the league we're playing in next season isn't that much of a factor, though, what do you think is causing this delay? We're two months on from the extra shares being released, after all?

That is a good question. I don’t have the answer, but I might look at some possibilities over the weekend. Now I had better stop posting before I cause more apoplexy among the humorless…

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

That is a good question. I don’t have the answer, but I might look at some possibilities over the weekend. Now I had better stop posting before I cause more apoplexy among the humorless…

Probably a good time for me to sign off for the night too. Plus it's much later in Norwich than it is in your Caribbean tax haven...

47 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Well nothing is going to be announced 45 minutes after the end of a match, is it?

We're not talking about someone buying a used car. If Attanasio walks away then we all know what the atmosphere will be like around the club.

Now we're pretty much guaranteed to be playing Championship football next season, the cogs have turned in Attanasio's favour.

Personally I think I wouldn't read too much into league position. Attanasio came knowing we were relegated. He knew we were always facing an uphill challenge in the premier league because of a lack of financial backing and possibly also not having as big an international market as we possibly could have - after all, growth is as much importance as a quick flip. And on evidence, Attanasio isn't about a quick flip.

Not only that, if it was purely about money, Delia and Michael could have loaned the club money to spend on players knowing that promotion would make great return on that investment if they were to sell.

And again, the way the new shares have been created and sold as part of this, smacks of people who are not seeking top dollar but who want demonstration of investment in the club before they are happy and confident that the new owner is true to their word.

In addition to all of that, it is a matter of when, not if. Attanasio will be taking over, it's also arguably a bit of how. I don't think where we are, will or has, made any great impact in the grand scheme of things. Again, if it were, then why create more shares then rather than this summer when they could be worth more.

Also, people probably need to realise that Webber is likely to at least be staying initially. The club will have a period of transition. Just as our squad is going through a period of transition. 

10 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I don't think it is a 'delay' - this will all be part of a plan I suspect. I am sure there are ways and means of delaying things deliberately if needed - as others have said, has there even been confirmation of Foulger's shares being sold yet? I sort of see this all as smoke signals and it'll be the end of the season or summer when it's all aired properly.

I still think some of it could be down to being in negotiations with other clubs, players and players in our own squad about transfers and contracts. At least an element of it could be. We know Webber traditionally likes to have signings sorted out in advance - the exception being two summers ago now, when we signed a lot of players pretty much last minute.

At the very least it will have something to do with the summer plans etc.

I also think our rocky season has played it's part. PR wise, Smith and Jones aren't daft. If, as it looks to be at the moment, and we don't go up, they hold back on announcing anything and essentially it'll be on them - they know that. Announce anything before then and Attanasio sort of gets dragged into it. Eg; instant calls for him to sack Webber - which may not be in his initial plans.

Better for the summer, clean slate, gets signings through the door without announcing his money is now backing the club etc. He can sweep the broom if he so wills, the change is his then, he owns it. And not in a see-saw season. 

3 minutes ago, chicken said:

Personally I think I wouldn't read too much into league position. Attanasio came knowing we were relegated. He knew we were always facing an uphill challenge in the premier league because of a lack of financial backing and possibly also not having as big an international market as we possibly could have - after all, growth is as much importance as a quick flip. And on evidence, Attanasio isn't about a quick flip.

Not only that, if it was purely about money, Delia and Michael could have loaned the club money to spend on players knowing that promotion would make great return on that investment if they were to sell.

And again, the way the new shares have been created and sold as part of this, smacks of people who are not seeking top dollar but who want demonstration of investment in the club before they are happy and confident that the new owner is true to their word.

In addition to all of that, it is a matter of when, not if. Attanasio will be taking over, it's also arguably a bit of how. I don't think where we are, will or has, made any great impact in the grand scheme of things. Again, if it were, then why create more shares then rather than this summer when they could be worth more.

Also, people probably need to realise that Webber is likely to at least be staying initially. The club will have a period of transition. Just as our squad is going through a period of transition. 

@PurpleCanary has already offered a similar view on this. I don't doubt that Attanasio has an emotional connection to what he sees here; I've listened intently to what he's said, and I follow baseball so can see a lot of parallels between what we stand for and what he's built with the Brewers. I guess I'm just mindful that someone who has reached his position works in the billions rather than the millions, and he's a businessman rather than a philanthropist first and foremost.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

@PurpleCanary has already offered a similar view on this. I don't doubt that Attanasio has an emotional connection to what he sees here; I've listened intently to what he's said, and I follow baseball so can see a lot of parallels between what we stand for and what he's built with the Brewers. I guess I'm just mindful that someone who has reached his position works in the billions rather than the millions, and he's a businessman rather than a philanthropist first and foremost.

Sure, but I suspect he has an idea of what he wants to pay already. They have essentially diluted the value of shares as it stands, so it wouldn't cost as much as a result. It was a clever move by both Smith and Jones and Attanasio - they all get something out of it, so does the club. Delia and Michael get reassurances, at the cost of devaluing their own shares whilst also getting perhaps the reassurance they wanted from Attanasio that he doesn't just talk the talk. The club also gets whatever he has spent on those shares.

Announcing that now... well, could throw off other plans perhaps? I see it as benefitting for everyone. Attanasio now has a stake, doesn't really matter how big at this point. I can't help but keep referring back to Kroenke at Arsenal. Started off with a small slice, then moved to an eventual takeover when the board were happy about his intentions. 

My view is that Attanasio has already paid full dollar to Foulger. To reduce his outlay he now has to wait until Autumn this year before the 12 month takeover rule on share price hits. So its another "meh" summer window approaching.

18 hours ago, Sooty57 said:

The longer I support this club, the harder it becomes to discern between optimism and sarcasm 😉

It's both matey