Sign in to follow this  
nik wyer

Well done hughes!!

Anyone else thought Hughes had a good game, especially the first half, he wasnt quite so effective in the second half, lets hope he continues to play as good as first half today.

Also a mention to Shacks, who was superb in second half,

I agree about Hughes, and Shacks. Hughes was our only effective central midfielder, because Robinson cruised through the first 60 minutes, and Safri was way off the pace.

Yeah, he has shown himself to be effective in breaking up possession in midfield, works like a m/f and use the ball okay on many occasions. And after all the stress, scrutiny and discouragement he has had to take (from me included) he has shown a strength of character I know I haven''t got! 

Hoozy, Leon and Shacks were all terrific, showing real passion.  Showed how good Hoozy was, that when Saf came on we looked a little bit more nervous in midfield as Hoozy moved over.

Also, Greeno looks back to his best as does Hucks at times.

Let''s be honest, it was a Hughes type midfield where he was required only to be destructive and scrap. In another game he would not have been so effective.

This harks back to a point I was making a couple of months ago.With people getting on Hughes'' back, I suggested we needed his passion & commitment - also that Flem and Leon provided similar motivation for their departments.Whenever we are forced to rely on what some would call the ''class'' footballers, we lack effort and get over-run by more committed teams (like at Selhurst Park).Having said that, I was at the N&N on Saturday, after slicing my thumb (dimwit!), so didn''t hear much of the game. From Sunday''s highlights it looked like Hughes played it nice and simple in the middle, didn''t lose possession, and broke up their attacks too! Great performance.

[quote user="nik wyer"]

Anyone else thought Hughes had a good game, especially the first half, he wasnt quite so effective in the second half, lets hope he continues to play as good as first half today.

Also a mention to Shacks, who was superb in second half,

[/quote]

As one of the few to publicly back Hughes on these boards, I''m dead chuffed that others are now waking up about him.

Fat Barman revealed:
Having said that, I was at the N&N on Saturday, after slicing my thumb (dimwit!), so didn''t hear much of the game.

You didn''t catch it in the till again, did you?

I thought Hoozy played well in the first half, less effective in the second half, I cannot fault his charcater, commitment or work rate and credit to him for the way he has improved over the last few games, despite all the criticism he has been getting, that said he is still no better than Holty in his prime.

I just hope Hughes keeps improving, i hope he plays against Burnley as I''ll be there! First match i''ve been to this season!

Quote from Rude Old... "Fat Barman revealed:Having said that, I was at the N&N on Saturday, after slicing my thumb (dimwit!), so didn''t hear much of the game.

You didn''t catch it in the till again, did you?"

Damn you! You promised to destroy those negatives!

Actually, it was caused when one lemon attempted to slice another - shortly after hearing City go 0-1 down. My condition was improved by hearing the first City goal as I wrapped a napkin and sellotape around my injured appendage, whilst the second went in as I drove (one-handed, I confess m''lud) to the hospital.

I missed most of the second half, being attended to by a lovely red-haired nurse of the female persuasion, returning to the car in time to listen to the closing 5 minutes - complete with what looked like the knockwurst concealing the picture of "The Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies" by Van Clomp strapped to my left hand.

I return to work tomorrow, with a new-found aversion to citrus fruit, wondering how I''m ever going to skive off the 90 minutes on Friday to watch the Burnley game!