I would suggest that Krul was recalled purely because the defence in particular badly needed some "vociferous leadership" and organisation. Hanley is worth his place and gives his all but shows little signs of what is needed from a captain. As regards goalkeeping skills I would say Gunn shades it and it was very worrying to see the number of short passes Krul gave to defenders who already had opposing attackers in close proximity. We got away with it and overall he is still good enough at the higher levels. I have no wish to see Gunn go but it is a fact that there are Premiership sides looking to replace their ageing keepers and must be eying the situation. We could do with a few million at the moment !!

1 hour ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

Krul, for me , more vocal, makes up for Hanley’s relative quietness (additional captain) still tried to gift a goal or two today, but I’m totally blaming that on the Sun. 

That makes a change 

Most on here blame The Mail

• Haha 1

Just looking at the stats, taken from before today

Krul/Gunn

Games played: 14/13
Goals conceded: 13/16
Shots on target against: 45/56
Save percentage: 71%/75%

There's very little between the two in terms of shot stopping and I think us having a worse record with Gunn in goal was down to issues larger than who the keeper was. Krul's passing in these 2 games has been bad and eventually that will come back to bite us. Wagner might be hoping that Tim is simply shaking off the rust.

Gunn is the future and the leadership and confidence to organise the defence will come with time and games played. Krul may be the more vocal and the more experienced but his distribution gives me heart attacks every game and he’s far more “gaffe-prone” than Gunn. 

I think we are quite lucky here, instead of arguing who can take a position because the incumbent is poor we're arguing over which keeper is better for the position we are in as both have areas they are better than the other in.

For me for the position we are in at the moment I would choose Krul because of his leadership qualities, if I was the manager I would emphasis this to Angus as the difference so he can work on it to be our #1 next year.