Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Team announced

10 hours ago, hogesar said:

And generally being terrible throughout the game, with Reading quickly realising they can fall over during any of our counters and get a free kick.

Ive never seen so many 16 stone 6'4 chaps go down so easy outside of the WWE.

Shame on them, ref bought it every time as well.

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

He’d certainly prefer him to Sargent running down blind alleys and tripping over the ball. Looked like he’d won a competition to play last night. 

This is a bit harsh on Sargent, but IMO contains a lot of truth. Sargent is poor as a member of the three in a 4-2-3-1 because he lacks the technical ability to weight a pass and he often lacks the vision to even see the pass.

There were a couple of occasions last night - and several in many matches before - where we have a quick counter-attack, the ball goes up to Sargent, he looks around to see what is happening, and the moment has gone. When that kind of ball comes into Pukki, he already knows where the other players are, so he can make an instant pass and we don't lose momentum.

Or compare Sargent with Ramsey in this regard. When Ramsey arrived, I thought he was only here because he was Dean Smith's protegé, but I've really changed my opinion about him. For someone so young, he has a fantastic knack of being in the right place at the right time because he notes what is happening on the pitch. If we could sell Sargent and get Ramsey with the money we get, I would personally be delighted.

The only way I see Sargent being a long-term asset is if he plays alone upfront. But I think this would require a complete change of style into something very direct, with fast wingers and lots of crosses, and the rejection of 'Farkeball'. Do we want that?

With Pukki looking very likely to leave at the end of the season, I think this is a decision the club will have to make soon.

Edited by canarybubbles

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Dowell played three or four defence splitting passes during his 15 minutes on the pitch that none of our other players are capable of. There is a place for him in that team if we play him in the right position. 

He didn’t even make a challenge for the penalty so for it to be given as a foul is ridiculous and harsh to blame him for that. Bloke trailed his back leg and went down as soon as he made contact with Dowell, 

+1 for this. 

I think Dowell is one of the best passers in the squad; he has an ability to find the angles that Pukki in particular thrives on. 

Arguably though, he’s a ‘luxury’ player in a similar way to someone like Vrancic was and in certain situations/positions he can become a passenger to some degree. It’s no surprise he didn’t really fit in with Smithball but if we return to a more dynamic style, he’s undeniably an asset. 

17 minutes ago, mrdi said:

+1 for this. 

I think Dowell is one of the best passers in the squad; he has an ability to find the angles that Pukki in particular thrives on. 

Arguably though, he’s a ‘luxury’ player in a similar way to someone like Vrancic was and in certain situations/positions he can become a passenger to some degree. It’s no surprise he didn’t really fit in with Smithball but if we return to a more dynamic style, he’s undeniably an asset. 

I agree and for that reason I don’t think he was the right sub last night. Just as bringing him into the side at Watford away to play right wing was a weird decision. He needs to play centrally in the 3 of a 4-2-3-1

I didn't see a lot in the performance last night that was an improvement. For some periods under Smith of 20 minutes or so, we played much better and quicker football. Reading were worth a point.

I have also never bought into this "we have one of the best squads in the league" argument. We don't. It is horrendously unbalanced.

Pukki, for me, is due a spell on the bench. I would start Sargent as striker, with Idah as his deputy. 

The only 10 we have in the squad is Dowell, assuming Cantwell is a continued no show.

Maclean is still good enough in this league to be the midfield pivot, especially with Gibbs behind.

Omo is our best centre back and has to start. If we must have one right and one left footer at the back then Hanley on the bench and Gibson alongside Omo. 

Gunn is now rightly our first choice in goal. Aarons a shoe in at right back but he must have cover. I'd persevere with McCallum at left back if only because Dimi isn't good enough to replace him.

Doesn't matter who the new coach is, we are going nowhere this season. Clear out in the summer. Get rid of Krul, Pukki, Cantwell, Hernandez, Dimi, Rashica, Hayden, Dowell, Ramsey and a few other has beens and no hopers. Recall Mumba and Tzolis and start again.