Sign in to follow this  
Captain Holt

Hooliganism at Norwich

I remember in about 1972 singing "If you want us, come and get us" to the Arsenal fans. Unfortunately, they did.....

To many stories to re-count, the past is a foreign country, they do things differently there. 
in 78 I went to visit a friend in south bank poly, and his pal said he could introduce us to F Troop Millwall. The next day we attended the Lions v Ipswich FA cup quarter final at the Den, Cold Blow lane; the most violent game I’ve ever been to (and we did stand next to the infamous F Troop). Before the game we went to some local grim boozer, mainly older men (although much younger than I am now). 
One guy stand nearby casually remarked “ I heard they’ve bricked the Ipswich coaches already “ ! No one seemed interested, as if he was stating the obvious, the only surprise being the timing. 

When we played Chelsea in 84, I remember we got kicked out of the pen in the  Barclay that was behind the goal.  Only time I ever remember that happening.

Chelsea had 2/3rds of the Barclay and most of the South Stand. Crowd was 18000, of which I would guess 8000 were Chelsea. It might have been the  year they had been promoted to the first division.

I don't recall too much trouble in the ground, but a mate of mine got punched on Rouen Road.

I guess the reason we gave Chelsea so many tickets was firstly to cash in (ground not usually full in those days) and secondly, police didn't want thousands of Chelsea roaming the city 

13 hours ago, BigFish said:

Pretty much. Back in the day the away section was in the Barclay, all standing, and before they put the fencing in seperated by a line of police. When we scored it turned out there were United fans on both side of the "segregation" and it all kicked off, the police line was pushed back and the City fans retreated onto the area surrounding the pitch where they watched the rest of the game. Would probably have been abandoned these days but there was an all round higher toleration of violence those days.

There is another clip somewhere with one the two guys who climbed on the roof falling through the hole they made ripping off panels to throw, getting up and running off with two coppers in not so hot pursuit. Genius.

I know, I was there . We got moved over the fence across the pitch from the Barclay to the river end. I was 14 and cacking it.  .... excited too,and we beat em .

On 07/11/2022 at 21:15, Foxy2600 said:

Luckily not Hoolihaniganism

What a great word ,bet that's not in the Oxford dictionary love Wes happy retirement ,absolut ledge,

Us Norwich fans have always been a meek and mild breed even back in the 80's despite a few thinking they were "ard", the tiny hooligan element we did have were often seen being chased along the river and up Prince of Wales rd as they ran for their little lives.

Seen most of it, from Crockers / Tudour Hall being full of Spurs fans on a Friday evening for the game next day, 

Was a 15 year old at the Man U & got taken out of the Barclay ti sit in front of the main stand (City Stand now) 

To being kicked in the head as Derby fans got off a bus in the city centre bus station, ( mind you I got him back) 

And off course the trouble with that shower down the A140. 

Millwall fans coming for a afternoon game during the week as the electricity strike was on going. 

Some very scary times indeed, but I'm still going & here to tell the tale. 💛💚