Tactics or not, Max as regressed.

He was never in the squad for his defensive qualities though they were never really a problem, he was in for his attacking prowess.

He was superb at getting to the line and into the box, he assisted goals and won penalities 

He still gets in them same positions but lacks that drive/will to want to get into the box, some say he's been told not to, I don't believe that, as a footballer you instinctively play what's infront of you.

Back in this division he's getting balls pumped at him and isn't playing well in offence.

Whatever the question it, Sam Byram isn't the answer.

Edited by CDMullins

20 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Disagree, if he was 6ft he would be playing for a top 5 right now as an attacking full back.

Cast your mind back to Wesi.

Too short and no right foot. 6ft with both feet and he would have been a world class play maker.

Taught a couple of lads turned down for the Norwich academy due to height, one of them was probably the most technically gifted player I've seen at that level. Now working in Tesco's. On the flip side I've taught a couple of lads that have made it.

Overall football is cruel at times.

The name that springs to mind is Messi, but his sort maybe already part of a bygone era - think of van djik and Haaland. As the years progress we are going to see more and more Haaland style genetic freeks appear in the game.

True - increasing emphasis on physical attributes and most modern players look like body-builders. Technical ability or speed not enough when you can get knocked off the ball easily by a player who's arms are bigger than my legs!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

If you actually read the comments people are blaming Smith's tactics rather than Aarons himself. 

I have ,and i suggest you go back and read them again 

22 minutes ago, Dame to Blame said:

I have ,and i suggest you go back and read them again 

Clearly you haven't, I for one posted putting the blame squarely at Smith's door, and I'm not the only one. 

I think Max has been utilised poorly over the last 2 seasons. For me it's no coincidence that his best form was when he had Buendia to link up down the right. Max is great at playing 1-2s to make his way in behind the defence and to the byline. He's not that good at taking a man on and dribbling past them, he doesn't really have the burst over the first yard or two. His struggles going forward right now are summed up when he goes on these long dribbles from the right back position into the middle of the pitch. His first instinct is to always go forward but there's never any passes on so he holds the ball inside hoping for an opening to play into.

12 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I still quite liked that brief spell when we were playing 3-5-2. The extra centre back would free him up massively.

I certainly agree both of our full backs are not that tall and what was obvious from yesterdays game was that every set piece it was high balls aimed for the far post.

I had to laugh yesterday when  Aarons had his shirt pulled and went down as though he hadbeen poleaxed. He just stayed down and Mark Rivers said it's no good lying there he should have jumped up and chased. Rivers says it as it is.

5 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Clearly you haven't, I for one posted putting the blame squarely at Smith's door, and I'm not the only one. 

And clearly there are some in this thread  who are criticizing Max