Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Does the Hanley/Omobamidele combination work?

I like Grant Hanley. He’s an excellent defender who gives his all. But for some reason the combination between him and Omobamidele seems to lack understanding. Last night Hanley and Omo were jumping for the same ball at times and Hanley kept charging out of position chasing the ball.

I can’t recall how many games they played together in the champ last time but I do recall that Omobamidele has played very well alongside Gibson at times, who is also a natural left sided CB although as we’ve seen can give goals away. 

I’ve always thought that as a captain Hanley is very quiet on the pitch but perhaps with a young CB partner and a makeshift LB we need more talking in there. 

We're 3 games into the season, give them time to gel. Omo has only just come a long term injury as well

• Like 1

I've never particularly rated Hanley. Good in the air and in a "backs against the wall" situation, but does not have the required technical ability to play out from the back and prone to getting caught out when we are up the pitch. If the ball is thrown into our box, he's our best chance of winning the header, but other than that, not good enough for me.

Omo struggled against Hull, probably the first time I've seen him look second best as a CB for us.

I think they just need a bit of time, as all CB partnerships do. Hanley is actually pretty vocal at organising the back four but Omo is going to have to learn to be more vocal too - something Smith has talked about before so I'm sure they're working on it.

2 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I've never particularly rated Hanley. Good in the air and in a "backs against the wall" situation, but does not have the required technical ability to play out from the back and prone to getting caught out when we are up the pitch. If the ball is thrown into our box, he's our best chance of winning the header, but other than that, not good enough for me.

I have to say I don't think that's fair, he understands his limitation in playing out but at this level it never really costs us, and having the second highest pass % in our entire squad suggests he's not giving it away. Equally his 'backs against the wall' is a requirement that someone in that back four needs to have, as evidenced by his block late on.

4 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I'm of the opposite view in some ways as that's exactly what I rate Hanley for... being good in the air and being willing to get stuck in. Over last few years we've had fullbacks who are good at getting forward but cant defend that well and CBs who can pass but not tackle or head that well (Godfrey/Gibson). I think its important we have a Hanley type centre back to give us some strength, Hopefully Omobamidele can develop a partnership with him and play the more cultured CB role alongside Hanley's more agricultural style.

6 hours ago, All the Germans said:

Glad i'm not the only one who thinks this.Have always maintained that. Caught under the ball a couple of times last night and bailed out by A O on the first occasion.For a captain he's too quiet I feel and the only thing he has improved upon is the ability to buy a foul if struggling in a duel.If Andy O had a far more inspiring figure beside him,his progress would move on tenfold.