Sign in to follow this  
hepphep

Some recent comments from Pukki

I still think he could be useful to have around aged 35 

I wonder if he's interested in a coaching role when he retires and if so whether he'd sign a new contract here on less money but with a chance to move into that in a few years?

His kid must be starting school in September and I imagine it's tempting to stay settled rather than move to Turkey or Portugal or somewhere 

Of course he may stay here for 1 year then go back to Finland as a player coach

9 hours ago, chicken said:

Not at this stage in his career I feel. At least, not a contract with financial stability involved. At 32, he could become the next Ibrahimovic/Ronaldo and continue to deliver at the consistent levels he has done beyond 35 - the typical age people see players start to drop off in terms of performances, pace and ability to impact and influence games. However, that is an uncertainty.

It is an interesting question, one I am sure all will be mulling over. In a years time he'll almost certainly be worth less money both in terms of wages demanded and in transfer fee - in this case, very literally nothing for us.

I can imagine that some clubs will offer him a 2yr deal, but few will offer more than that unless they know the majority of the opposition in their league are of such a level that even a Pukki at 75% of his current output would still be good. Portugal, Scotland (he probably won't want to revisit that nightmare), Turkey, Netherlands would all seem like logical choices for leagues where he could go to a relatively top side, get paid reasonably well and even get some European action whilst negotiating a 2yr deal still.

Are any of them able to pay masses more? Who knows. I somewhat doubt he could demand more money in a year, that's for sure.

In a years time he'll be a free agent, the club he goes to won't have to pay a transfer fee, in these cases the player benefits as they get a much better contract/signing on fee.

We did the same when we signed Drimic, the reason his wages were so high was that his signing fee was apportioned over the length of his contract.

Being a free agent is advantageous to the player.

On 31/05/2022 at 09:02, cambridgeshire canary said:

Imagine Pukki in a top ten side with world class wingers either side of him. 20 plus goals a season easy.

Only 2 players scored 20+ goals in the EPL this season-Mo Salah and Son Heung-Min. Are you seriously putting Pukki in the same category as them?

8 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

In a years time he'll be a free agent, the club he goes to won't have to pay a transfer fee, in these cases the player benefits as they get a much better contract/signing on fee.

We did the same when we signed Drimic, the reason his wages were so high was that his signing fee was apportioned over the length of his contract.

Being a free agent is advantageous to the player.

Can be advantageous but not always the case, especially at this point in a players career. One thing is for sure, if the rumoured £60k pw is true, he will be hard pushed to match that, let alone beat it in a years time. At 33, as I said before, most clubs will know that a player can suddenly go downhill in form, most clubs won't offer more than a year at a time, it's doubtful they'll risk so much money on a single year.

I would argue right now he stands a much better chance of getting a good long term deal. Two years with an option of a third, for example. Not unrealistic at this point. He can also point to the wage he will receive at Norwich and ask teams to come closer to that valuation, or compromise with a longer contract.

As a freebie, at 33, he'll be in a weaker position to negotiate length of contract and amount. It becomes much riskier. I'm not doubting his quality, but this isn't a 25/26 yr old or even a 28yr old in their peak. This is a player that is already in the bracket of "veteran" in the purposes of professional football.

Almost everyone on here is focusing purely on the financial aspects of this. Maybe I'm naive, but I think maybe there are other factors which will come into play, especially how happy he thinks he will be playing for us in the Championship again. Would you be happy with the idea of more of the same after the season we've just had?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

Almost everyone on here is focusing purely on the financial aspects of this. Maybe I'm naive, but I think maybe there are other factors which will come into play, especially how happy he thinks he will be playing for us in the Championship again. Would you be happy with the idea of more of the same after the season we've just had?

I agree very much with this. He has shown twice in EPL that he can be a very good scorer on that level. Having likely his last couple of years left on top of his game, it would seem reasonable that he would want to compete in highest level possible.

He does not seem like a guy who plays for money, but for passion to play and win on top level. In a way, he is too good to spend his last good years in championship. I think that can have lots of weight for his happiness and possible desire to still get transfer (either this summer or when he becomes free agent)