Badger

ITV's view Norwich City: 'Yo-yo club' stuck in purgatory

29 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

Brighton have a wage bill reportedly over 100% of their turnover. They also have quite a bit of debt (owed mostly to the owner).

Palace have quietly made it into the top twenty spenders in Europe over the last ten years.

Their success comes with caveats.

Adds to my depression that. Millions upon millions spent to become an average to poor Prem team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

More Pogo than Limbo?!

Limbo in the (now-abandoned) Catholic dogmatic sense rather than bending backwards under a pole! I wonder are the two meanings linked 🤔

3 hours ago, Badger said:

I think that there is something in this - almost like the cumulative effect of repeated head injuries for boxers - it's as if we are "punch drunk." Some of the comments from Farke early on seemed to imply that we did not stand much chance in particular games and it seemed shared throughout the club. We know from this board that many had "given up" as early as Sept/ October and posters who tried to be positive, like Lakey, were ridiculed. Obviously they can point to the fact that they were correct but to give up so early and accept the inevitability of relegation says something about their fighting spirit and resilience. I think that Smith has a point about the need for cultural change, but of course many are already writing him off next year. 

Part of the problem imo is the emphasis on playing attractive football - the evidence suggests that for a club our size to stay up it has to be physical, pragmatic and more direct. Brighton, Palace, Burnley etc did not stay up in their early years by playing attractive football.

In short, to maximise our chances of staying we have to be prepared to be ugly and nasty but the Catch 22 behind this is that I am not sure that it is the best way to get promoted! 

From what I can see there’s two major differences between us and the above mentioned teams. 

1) they could defend. We don’t seem to have that in us. 

2) they all have players who can nick a goal or create one and then as mentioned above could defend it. Zaha, Maupay & McNeil to name one from each who offer a spark we simply do not have anymore 

1 hour ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

From what I can see there’s two major differences between us and the above mentioned teams. 

1) they could defend. We don’t seem to have that in us. 

2) they all have players who can nick a goal or create one and then as mentioned above could defend it. Zaha, Maupay & McNeil to name one from each who offer a spark we simply do not have anymore 

I agree. If we get promoted again we will have to be more pragmatic and develop a style that gives us a chance. The foundation of this will have to be a solid defence.

You only have to look at the managers the teams above had to understand the philosophy behind them staying up, but when Hughton tried that at Norwich there was a lot of opposition. I think that we are making it doubly hard for ourselves if we say we want to stay up + we want to play good football. For years, Palace, Burnley, Brighton etc settled for just staying up, although they have started to become more expansive since.

In the video of that link, they’re still doing interviews in their own homes using a Zoom/Teams app.

I really thought that pandemic bollockx was over a long time ago, yet there are people who actually miss it, so carry on.

As for this club, new ownership is the only answer, as the Smithies will just take us up and down time and time again.

3 hours ago, Badger said:

I agree. If we get promoted again we will have to be more pragmatic and develop a style that gives us a chance. The foundation of this will have to be a solid defence.

You only have to look at the managers the teams above had to understand the philosophy behind them staying up, but when Hughton tried that at Norwich there was a lot of opposition. I think that we are making it doubly hard for ourselves if we say we want to stay up + we want to play good football. For years, Palace, Burnley, Brighton etc settled for just staying up, although they have started to become more expansive since.

In a weird kind of way I think if Hanley and Aaron’s do go in the summer as mentioned we might end up better defensively. Byram for my money is a better defender than Aarons he’s just not as expansive in attack and most teams today want your full back to over lap and be almost a second winger. 

i hope Andy O is fit for the start of the season as he’s a huge talent. I hope we invest in some mobility and muscle for the midfield. And maybe poach that guy up top from Luton who’s scoring for fun.  

12 hours ago, komakino said:

Good Point.

We generally have no competition and could easily sell thousands of more tickets even when we're not doing well. And that is before you take away fans into the equation. 

The club would often fob fans off in corporate events, usually an ex player, with the line of 'next time we get promoted, we will rebuild the City Stand'. I remember Phil Lythgoe telling me that in twenty years ago! When McNally was around, he was not in favour of ground expansion as his view was the real money isn't generated by attendances. While true, that is still short sited. Norwich could take a long term loan out and the stand would pay that back, as the club for years has never fulfilled its potential in attendances and that is a shame. 

Agreed. The reason some people still consider Norwich small is because the size of the ground doesn't allow the club to be as big as it ought to be. And Delia is principal amongst those people, so you must assume she is stopping the club becoming big on purpose in the same way that she gets relegated on purpose.

• Haha 1

On 01/05/2022 at 21:28, Herman said:

Put it this way, we have one brilliant season out of two, whereas nearly every other club has one brilliant season in 10 or worse. Sounds good to me.😉

When was the last time Spurs opened the trophy cabinet 😁

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Sooty57 said:

When was the last time Spurs opened the trophy cabinet 😁

When were Norwich last EPL runners-up?

On 01/05/2022 at 21:28, Herman said:

Put it this way, we have one brilliant season out of two, whereas nearly every other club has one brilliant season in 10 or worse. Sounds good to me.😉

or do we have two brilliant season out of three?