Sign in to follow this  
 Badger

Sheffield Utd to be sold for £115 million?

On 23/04/2022 at 17:17, Canary Wundaboy said:

I think if you’re going to slag off American owners you could use a better example than the recent Premier League Champions, European Champions and World Champions. Not to mention 2nd in the league, into the finals of the FA Cup etc etc. The sort of success we can’t dream of.

Did you actually read what I posted.  I said "I've just remember Liverpool is owned by Americans, but I've no idea how much money if any they've put into the club".

Do you have any idea how much money their owners have put in since they bought the club ?  Or did you just want to recite all the trophies they've won ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

Did you actually read what I posted.  I said "I've just remember Liverpool is owned by Americans, but I've no idea how much money if any they've put into the club".

Do you have any idea how much money their owners have put in since they bought the club ?  Or did you just want to recite all the trophies they've won ?

I have been looking into this as I was interested. Swiss Ramble points out that they are very dependant upon player sales "In short, Liverpool are very reliant on player trading."

I think that this table is quite interesting - it gives the 10 year picture for the Big 6 - obviously some of this will be before the current owners. It suggests that Liverpool's owners have loaned the club £136 million and that there is £153 million of external loans. 

Man Utd is very interesting (US owners) - no owner loans but £297 million in new share capital (some of which I believe they have subsequently sold but doesn't appear here). External loans of £249 million + interest payments of £448 million over the last 10 years! During the same time period they have taken £122 million in dividend payments. In other words, 570 million pounds has left the club in the last 10 years at an average of £57 million pa. You can understand why the fans are irritated! 

Arsenal's owner is also American, He has loaned the club £15 million but other than that put nothing in and taken nothing out. They have paid £123 million in interest.

Spurs owners have put nothing in and taken nothing out (except wages). They have external debt of £746 million.

Chelsea and Man City - well I think we know! 😃

IF we are worth 150 /175 million Delia has made a very healthy profit on her investment in the club 

if she was to sell of course 

25 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

IF we are worth 150 /175 million Delia has made a very healthy profit on her investment in the club 

if she was to sell of course 

She'll do even better if Wynnie doesn't get his share.

The issue is surely when has it ever worked at Norwich spending money? 

If we somehow managed to get rich it would be a disaster given are big money signings in the past.

Name any player we have paid over 5 million for who was any good?

On 22/04/2022 at 10:11, king canary said:

Is it just a consequence of the current financial climate or are we now in an era where clubs are going to be changing hands with increasing regularity? Villa, Southampton and now Sheffield United are all clubs who seem to be being bought and sold every 4 or 5 years right now.

It has been confirmed that the government will propose a regulatory system that takes all of the proposals from the fan led review. They have flatly told the Premier league, no watering down, you had your chance and blew it.

It could be that people are moving quickly before the ownership measures are introduced? It might calm down once it is in.

6 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

It has been confirmed that the government will propose a regulatory system that takes all of the proposals from the fan led review. They have flatly told the Premier league, no watering down, you had your chance and blew it.

It could be that people are moving quickly before the ownership measures are introduced? It might calm down once it is in.

Valid thought actually, hadn't considered that.

• Like 1

There is potentially a new twist to this as it seems that the new owner is likely to be borrowing the money to buy them!

It is not like a leveraged purchase because his company will buy the club, but as I understand it, he will then buy it from them by means of a bond. There is no suggestion that he will make Sheffield Utd pay for this, although I believe he could.

Any views from your way? @shefcanary

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/football-finance-expert-details-what-24175452

39 minutes ago, Badger said:

There is potentially a new twist to this as it seems that the new owner is likely to be borrowing the money to buy them!

It is not like a leveraged purchase because his company will buy the club, but as I understand it, he will then buy it from them by means of a bond. There is no suggestion that he will make Sheffield Utd pay for this, although I believe he could.

Any views from your way? @shefcanary

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/football-finance-expert-details-what-24175452

Most of my Blades mates have lost interest once they found out about Mauriss' adviser being a convicted criminal (see below from The Athletic)!  Given the length of the EFL's fit & proper person's enquiry, it points to things being very complicated. 

Let's say the excitement we Norwich fans have for even a small investment from Attanasio, is now a lot more than the excitement or interest being shown by Blades fans in Sheffield for Mauriss' bid.  They have, TBF, seen it all before over the years.

Screenshot_20220608-211956_Twitter.jpg

Edited by shefcanary

11 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Most of my Blades mates have lost interest once they found out about Mauriss' adviser being a convicted criminal (see below from The Athletic)!  Given the length of the EFL's fit & proper person's enquiry, it points to things being very complicated. 

Let's say the excitement we Norwich fans have for even a small investment from Attanasio, is now a lot more than the excitement or interest being shown by Blades fans in Sheffield for Mauriss' bid.  They have, TBF, seen it all before over the years.

They might have lost interest, but if this is true, surely this deal could see them potentially worse off than they are now?

36 minutes ago, Badger said:

They might have lost interest, but if this is true, surely this deal could see them potentially worse off than they are now?

As I've said they have seen that happen before and the fans have never had a real say in the running of the club despite the impressive community links they have developed. 

For instance a former owner Paul Woolhouse did a runner to South America when the authorities came calling after a "few" of his businesses collapsed due to fraud in the 80's. I think he escaped using cash he had pilfered from the club. Some Norwich fans think Delia is on a par FFS!

You'd have thought once bitten twice shy, but it highlights the problems of private ownership and the desperation of people when they decide to give up owning a football club. 

The Blades are one club where the golden share rule would be really beneficial, but as long as their shares continue to be held by one person, the football club becomes the football, as it were.

• Thanks 1