Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Man Utd

It had be pleasantly dry all day but the rain threatened just as I went off to CR but I arrived in a reasonably dry condition. Covid and injuries meant a rather unexpected line up with Kabak and Gianoulis in the back line and Placheta given a run out on the wing. Under the circumstances I wasn't expecting much but it was a nice surprise when City began very brightly with Sargent breaking away down the left and a period of pressure that ended when Pukki couldn't quite get a shot in.. Then it was the City talisman again when he intercepted a loose ball out of defence and forced a corner on the right. Lukas Rupp was having one of his better games and popped up unmarked in the box but couldn't sort his feet out before a defender stepped in to clear.

United began to exert a bit of pressure but Krul wasn't troubled until United won a cheap free kick on the left of the City box. Fernandes shot appeared to clip the City wall before flicking off the top of the bar although Krul seemed to have it covered. I have seen many decent Man Utd sides down here over the years and although this one is packed with top internationals they never seemed to click into high gear, indeed City were fairly comfortable at the back for the most part. Unfortunately the home side had their usual stroke of ill luck when Hanley went down after a clash with Ronaldo and had to limp off a few minutes later. Sorensen came on as sub and in my opinion played with such a calm assurance that the City captain was hardly missed.

Near the half hour the home side nearly snatched the lead when Placheta's cute ball found Rupp in the clear but again neither he or Pukki could apply the finishing touch. The visitors pressed as half time approached and a great move put Ronaldo in the clear but krul was at his best when diving to his right and pushing Ronaldo's shot away for a corner. Then just before the break the City keeper had to arch backwards to tip over a header that appeared to be dropping just under the bar.

All in all a satisfactory half and it was pleasing to see that all the replacements had fitted nicely into place. Kabak and Sorensen looked comfortable while Placheta and Gianoulis both had their moments.

I was now more hopeful of getting something out of the game and as the rain pelted down with increased intensity so the home side increased the pace of their game. Coming up to the hour Pukki at last found space in the box and from my end his shot on the turn appeared destined for the top corner only for De Gea to fly across and turn it over the bar. This heralded a period of sustain City pressure as they won a series of corners and Sorensen again brough the United keeper into action with a goalbound header.

With so little coming back the game seemed to be heading our way and apart from a few quick breaks the visitors rarely threatened. Cantwell came on for Placheta with twenty minutes left as City continued in the ascendancy. Then with a quarter hour left fate took a hand when the ref pointed to the spot after a cross into the City box seemed to be harmlessly headed behind. In all honesty and although I sit right above it, I was following the flight of the ball and didn't see Aarons clash with Ronaldo so I couldn't fairly comment but the ref seemed sure despite Krul's protests. I couldn't see Ronaldo missing and he didn't and gave the visitors an undeserved lead.

A couple of minutes later City were nearly level but again De Gea pulled of a stunning save to deny Kabak's header from Gilmours cross. Why he has to pull out his world class stuff against us I can't say but he was clearly going to be man of the match. He did it again just before the end but after Fred got in the way of a goal bound Gilmour strike I had already given up hope. Nothing seems to go for us this season, there were some exellent performances from a whole range of City players but somehow we cannot turn it into points on the board.

Today I'm giving my MOM to Lukas Rupp. I thought he had a really fine game but in truth it was hard to fault anyone today.

PS  I was like a drowned rat when I got home.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 9

Bearing in mind their standing in world football Man Utd were pretty dreadful. Like Ricardo I have seen them a few times but this performance was nowhere near their normal standards. They lacked any pace or drive and apart from Ronaldo's odd touch of class they showed little quality on the ball. Radford is a shadow of his former self. The Canaries put up a determined fighting effort and despite a lack of confidence and ability in certain areas they certainly deserved at least a point. Our big fundamental problem is that apart from Pukki nobody else in the team looks like scoring. That is something you cannot get away with in the Premiership.

40 minutes ago, vos said:

Bearing in mind their standing in world football Man Utd were pretty dreadful. Like Ricardo I have seen them a few times but this performance was nowhere near their normal standards. They lacked any pace or drive and apart from Ronaldo's odd touch of class they showed little quality on the ball. Radford is a shadow of his former self. The Canaries put up a determined fighting effort and despite a lack of confidence and ability in certain areas they certainly deserved at least a point. Our big fundamental problem is that apart from Pukki nobody else in the team looks like scoring. That is something you cannot get away with in the Premiership.

And when we do get shots on target the keeper has a worldie. Somebody at CR must have walked under a ladder or run over a black cat.

Cheers for the report Ricardo.

Smith told the players to play without fear in am interview before this game. 

They did that. 

Villa on Tuesday will be a close contest.

One of the more frustrating games ive been to this year. When we make the opposition look so poor we have to be winning these games. 

I'm not going to criticise any of the players because they all worked and played well but it was just so typical Norwich, played well but didn't get the breaks, the unlucky losers, I'm so sick of it. When we conceded the penalty I didn't feel anything it was just a case of yeah big surprise, we unluckily conceded a soft penalty what else is new. 

I'm not one of those fans who would rather we were in the Championship, but I really do hate this league

1 hour ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

When we conceded the penalty I didn't feel anything it was just a case of yeah big surprise, we unluckily conceded a soft penalty what else is new. 

I felt exactly the same.

Thanks for the report Ricardo👍 

It was a disappointing result but once again much encouragement can be drawn from certain aspects of the performance. The pressing was so much more intense than we have seen earlier in the season and the performance of the 4th and 5th choice centre backs says something about our defensive depth this year.

Despite being old enough to know better, I am still optimistic that we can stay up if we continue to perform like this: we look much more solid defensively and we did create some chances today. Obviously we need to take them, but luck, unlike refereeing decisions, do tend to even out over a season.

Edited by Badger

Having just seen the replay of the penalty I have to say that Ronaldo deserves applause for a 100% con job. We need to be smarter in those situations

I really enjoyed the game. It was great that we competed across the pitch but unfortunately I don't think the Norwich supporters or the team genuinely believed they were going to win it.  Conversely, I know loads of United fans and I'm sure not one of them ever believed they would lose. The advantage that the teams like United have in the PL is a mental one. We had that advantage in the Championship last season.

Yes, the referees unconsciously show bias. We would never have got that penalty at Old Trafford, not in a million years. How McTominay didn't get two yellows is beyond me. Yet with all that, we still could have won it but for a couple of decent saves from a goalkeeper worth more than most of our squad.

Their wageroll is more than 7 times what ours is. They had an £83m centre back, a £73m winger, a £56m midfielder and Ronaldo earning over £300k a week and we matched them. A bit more belief and we'd have beaten them.

Of course we won't play like that against Villa because the mental side won't kick in, but we do now know that under Smith we can compete, so there is hope in every game. Whether or not results follow we will have to wait and see. 

• Like 1

I thought the game was exciting. And that is what I want out of a game. Win or lose.

Ronaldo's scream could be heard on the space station. It was fake and once again proved that VAR is a waste of time. All it does is make offside mathematically precise.

It just shows that you must score to have a chance. 

48 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I really enjoyed the game. It was great that we competed across the pitch but unfortunately I don't think the Norwich supporters or the team genuinely believed they were going to win it.  Conversely, I know loads of United fans and I'm sure not one of them ever believed they would lose. The advantage that the teams like United have in the PL is a mental one. We had that advantage in the Championship last season.

Yes, the referees unconsciously show bias. We would never have got that penalty at Old Trafford, not in a million years. How McTominay didn't get two yellows is beyond me. Yet with all that, we still could have won it but for a couple of decent saves from a goalkeeper worth more than most of our squad.

Their wageroll is more than 7 times what ours is. They had an £83m centre back, a £73m winger, a £56m midfielder and Ronaldo earning over £300k a week and we matched them. A bit more belief and we'd have beaten them.

Of course we won't play like that against Villa because the mental side won't kick in, but we do now know that under Smith we can compete, so there is hope in every game. Whether or not results follow we will have to wait and see. 

A lot of good in that post.

Parma