Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Anyone else prefer the older badges to todays modern ones?

Now here's a throwback for the older posters on here 😉 Much as I do prefer these and think most of them look good and some even better than todays (Such as Bristols.. So much better than what they have today) some are a bit amusing. You gotta love Barnsley.

sky-bet.jpg

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Now here's a throwback for the older posters on here 😉 Much as I do prefer these and think most of them look good and some even better than todays (Such as Bristols.. So much better than what they have today) some are a bit amusing. You gotta love Barnsley.

sky-bet.jpg

Blackburn’s is the same and hulls looks like the rugby clubs one 

6 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Blackburn’s is the same and hulls looks like the rugby clubs one 

The fact it says "Rugby League" on it is a slight give away...

Yes, the medievalesque fussier styles of yester year are superior in my humble opinion.

But simpler designs for global marketing have knocked a lot of character out of them in recent years.

Some pretty mediocre ones in there, IMO. I like how a lot of modern ones are quite crisp and clean and enable ready identification, but the issue I have is they are a bit "identikit" which does essentially rob them of character a little.

That Luton one is crap (current badge is pretty good, and I like the hat they lobbed in there) and the Reading one is just incredibly uninspired. Blackpool and Blackburn make my eyes go Japanese trying to read who they are. The Bournemouth one makes me think the former neighbour's slightly disturbed kid put the letters on, and probably decided to do the Millwall one as a side project. And the font on Bristol City's old badge looks like it needs 4.8% ABV next to it.

Barnsley's was a cult classic though. I did like that one. Still not worked out what the green one in the top right-hand corner is.

7 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Plymouth

Was my first thought, but couldn't find it Googling. Must be a very early one indeed and not used for a long time.

Even if it is, that current badge is a good one.

A Brief History of the Plymouth Argyle Badge.pdf (greensonscreen.co.uk)

Plymouth Argyle | Logopedia | Fandom

Edited by TheGunnShow