birchfest

Transfers that dragged on but came to nothing hall of fame

42 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

Benik Adobe comes to mind as a recent one. I remember we spent almost an entire summer lodging bids well below the asking price. 

You're mixing him up Benik Afobe. Adobe was the famous acrobat. 

• Haha 1

Carl Cort... but then it actually happened!! 

David Healy was another one, we ended up with Notman instead. But then Healy happened a few years later too, albeit on loan. 

I'm not very good at this am I..

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

53 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

My nominations! 

I was desperate for Hulse!

I can't remember how close we actually got to signing Hulse, not sure if he had talks or what, but I know it dragged on for ages. That was a weird summer where I seem to remember West Brom signing most of our targets! Obviously they then tried to sign Hucks too.

11 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

Who was this guy then, I don't remember anything about him but his wiki suggests he was very close to joining in 96 or something?

He was pretty much a done deal, theres even a picture of holding the shirt, with Haworth 9 or something like that on it, and it all fell through last minute.

Didn’t we have Steven Fletcher do a ‘reverse Pritchard’ where by he was about to sign but then had an offer from Sheffield Wednesday who were literally closer to where he was so went there and signed instead. Fairly sure he even did an interview and said as much something like ‘he didn’t fancy the drive’

edit* are yes here it is:

“I was looking at the sat-nav and there was still six hours to go because it’s a long way down from Glasgow.

“I was half way thinking Sheffield is just there, so I text Barry and said ‘what’s Wednesday like?’ and he said ‘brilliant’. He said you need to come so I went in and signed for them that night.

Edited by birchfest

20 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

Who was this guy then, I don't remember anything about him but his wiki suggests he was very close to joining in 96 or something?

yep - he failed a medical - on deadline day...

we really needed a striker.. it seemed an exciting prospect - young, tall and talented... and then bam! we didn't trust his knees (which turned out to be fine).. and of course we didn't sign a striker... gutting