Six Pack

Michael Theoklitos mk 2

24 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Is a keeper punching a ball ridiculous ? They can sense that they may not reach the ball & secure it so make a decision to clear the danger. This is the same thing - Cantwell example not what I'm taking about.

That's the kind of stuff where I can tell you've never played in goal much. What you're suggesting is typical "caught in two minds" territory.

Fact is, he reached the ball which was not swinging towards goal, it was bouncing along the goal line after hitting the underside of the bar (from a very good save), got both hands on it AND secured it. Even when he got shoved the ball stayed in his hands.

I very much doubt you'd find a goalkeeping pundit who agrees remotely with your stance.

7 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

That's the kind of stuff where I can tell you've never played in goal much. What you're suggesting is typical "caught in two minds" territory.

Fact is, he reached the ball which was not swinging towards goal, it was bouncing along the goal line after hitting the underside of the bar (from a very good save), got both hands on it AND secured it. Even when he got shoved the ball stayed in his hands.

I very much doubt you'd find a goalkeeping pundit who agrees remotely with your stance.

You know a lot about goalkeeping TGC & you're right I've only played goalkeeper in a couple of games.

What I'm suggesting is not the norm but we need that little extra from our goalkeepers cos we'll going to be up against it !

As a club, our USP, is either to bring on young talent,  or find players who are a little bit broken. They need fixing. Farke’s man management skills and our style of play and training would indicate that  this will suit Gunn at this stage of his carer and with the right input will become a very good keeper for us. Accentuate the positive, learn from your mistakes.

Slightly OT but I see Theoklitos now likes to be known as Michael Theo (I thought this was what the topic may have been about!). An attempt to shake off his past maybe?

11 hours ago, Six Pack said:

Is a keeper punching a ball ridiculous ? They can sense that they may not reach the ball & secure it so make a decision to clear the danger. This is the same thing - Cantwell example not what I'm taking about.

It certainly would have been in that situation and I'm happy to bet there isn't a goalkeeping coach in the country who would have said Gunn did anything wrong. Indeed, he would have been lambasted by all if he had punched the ball away in a situation like this. No player could or should act according to speculation that a ref might be about to make one of the worst refereeing errors in living memory.

Edited by horsefly