Sign in to follow this  
markdmhoward

Does anyone here play veterans football?

Might possibly be joining a veterans team in a couple of weeks. Been out of football for awhile but after turning 35 in January, I thought why not? 

Anyone else play? 

Edited by markdmhoward

Just now, markdmhoward said:

Might possibly be joining a veterans team in a couple of weeks. Been out of football for awhile but after turning 35 in January, I thought why not? 

Anyone else play? 

I'm considering it from next season as well. My brother-in-law started a couple of years back, it sounds decent, 1 game every 2-3 weeks so not a huge commitment and it's rolling subs so you can have regular sit downs! Apparently the bottom divisions aren't the greatest either.

You got a club in mind?

7 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I'm considering it from next season as well. My brother-in-law started a couple of years back, it sounds decent, 1 game every 2-3 weeks so not a huge commitment and it's rolling subs so you can have regular sit downs! Apparently the bottom divisions aren't the greatest either.

You got a club in mind?

Ah didn't realise it was rolling subs. Good idea.

Newton Flotman, pretty local to me. League 2 I think. Hopefully not toooo good haha

3 minutes ago, markdmhoward said:

Ah didn't realise it was rolling subs. Good idea.

Newton Flotman, pretty local to me. League 2 I think. Hopefully not toooo good haha

I run Newsman Valhalla in the bottom division. Good laugh, and the lower divisions are a very gentle standard. @canarydan23, if you're more insterested in having a laugh than winning every week, you're more than welcome to try out for us.

If you're of a better standard I can definitely put you in touch with a suitable club, I'm on the league committee.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I run Newsman Valhalla in the bottom division. Good laugh, and the lower divisions are a very gentle standard. @canarydan23, if you're more insterested in having a laugh than winning every week, you're more than welcome to try out for us.

If you're of a better standard I can definitely put you in touch with a suitable club, I'm on the league committee.

Couple of the coaches at the club I coach at are considering creating a Vets team, I'd go for that, but if nothing comes of it I'll definitely consider elsewhere. I'm definitely mediocre but quite quick which covers a multitude of sins!

As a committee member, maybe you'd know how soon would a new team need to apply for 2021/22 season?

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Couple of the coaches at the club I coach at are considering creating a Vets team, I'd go for that, but if nothing comes of it I'll definitely consider elsewhere. I'm definitely mediocre but quite quick which covers a multitude of sins!

As a committee member, maybe you'd know how soon would a new team need to apply for 2021/22 season?

The AGM is usually around mid-late June, and the committee usually presents the divisional structure to the clubs then. I'd say that ideally you should register your interest by the end of May, although the committee is generally pretty flexible. EDIT: just drop me a DM if you want any other info 🙂

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Any opinion on Newton Flotman dude? Not sure what standard they are. I'm by no means elite shall we say

11 minutes ago, markdmhoward said:

Any opinion on Newton Flotman dude? Not sure what standard they are. I'm by no means elite shall we say

Three steps below Huckerby!

I'm joining one next season.

The prospect of being one of the youngest players on the pitch again, and therefore potentially at least mediocre, is attractive.

Haven't been in that position since I was perhaps 24/25, my legs went early (I tell myself that, my belly expanded really).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markdmhoward said:

Haven't played against them personally, but they're pretty well run. The fella who runs them is also on the committee.

I play vets football, but I'm up in Bolton. Not a bad standard - former Blackpool and Southampton striker Brett Ormerod plays for a team in my division. He's still bloody fast.