TIL 1010

RIP Ken Hill.

125850001_1664136930432274_7618219464470655303_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=-tK6AILjZFUAX_zLxaj&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=a7ea53a51b4fe7e7f932353017ebc089&oe=5FD9CA7E

Played 44 games for City between 1963-1966 having been signed from Walsall for £17,000. He passed away on Monday.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

125850001_1664136930432274_7618219464470655303_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=-tK6AILjZFUAX_zLxaj&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=a7ea53a51b4fe7e7f932353017ebc089&oe=5FD9CA7E

Played 44 games for City between 1963-1966 having been signed from Walsall for £17,000. He passed away on Monday.

My memories of Ken Hill are very vague tbh.............is that him in the back row between Thurlow and Butler ? 

Edit......Ooops,only just noticed the names under the picture 😳

Edited by C.I.D

Early for me too. I believe I saw 3 of that team to be definite (Brycleland, Keelan and Mannion), maybe others too? Recall Payne playing so I'm guessing that was later and he hadn't been signed by '66/67.

RIP Ken.

Thanks for the photo.

I was a great fan of Gerry Mannion. I think we bought him from Wolves.

He was a bit of a Gump. Run to the corner flag and cross it but he always ran forward rather todays, run, stop, pass it back.

i remember Hill playing but can't remember much about him.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

He was a bit of a Gump. Run to the corner flag and cross it but he always ran forward rather todays, run, stop, pass it back.

Two good old fullbacks there KG. Phil Kelly and Joe Mullett

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Two good old fullbacks there KG. Phil Kelly and Joe Mullett

Kelly was an international of course and always looked calm. And who can ever forget Joe's long distance winner against Allan Clarke's Walsall?

I remember Conway described as "bullet headed".

And Freddie Sharpe was better than many gave him credit for.

But during those days Ricardo, did you ever believe we would spend more than half the next half century in the top division?

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

A clever footballer but prone to the odd red mist.........

Remember a cup-tie at Maine Road ('63 was it?) where he was sent for running half the length of the pitch to chase the Mancs' winger Wagstaff for a tackle for which our Gerry apparently didn't approve - thankfully,goals from Terry Allcock won us the match 2-1.

.....and does anybody with a long memory recall that he nearly caused a riot in an away 2nd Div match at Grimsby by lobbing a bottle back into the crowd and accidentally hitting a young spectator.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Kelly was an international of course and always looked calm. And who can ever forget Joe's long distance winner against Allan Clarke's Walsall?

I remember Conway described as "bullet headed".

And Freddie Sharpe was better than many gave him credit for.

But during those days Ricardo, did you ever believe we would spend more than half the next half century in the top division?

Only in my dreams.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, C.I.D said:

A clever footballer but prone to the odd red mist.........

Remember a cup-tie at Maine Road ('63 was it?) where he was sent for running half the length of the pitch to chase the Mancs' winger Wagstaff for a tackle for which our Gerry apparently didn't approve - thankfully,goals from Terry Allcock won us the match 2-1.

.....and does anybody with a long memory recall that he nearly caused a riot in an away 2nd Div match at Grimsby by lobbing a bottle back into the crowd and accidentally hitting a young spectator.

I remember him being sent off against ManC. That was when we could beat anyone in any cup. The big freeze. Winning away twice and the record attendance against Leicester. Playing on sand.