4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The problem is what you're desribing very rarely happens and its backed up by the stats.

It happens quite often, let me put it in context. 

Emi will run with the ball and run into three defenders, lose the ball and sit on the ground demanding a free kick. His team mates all wondering why they bothered making their runs because he didn't pass to them. 

But, Emi many, many times will make a quick, first time pass which puts the advanced players through in a goal scoring chance. 

The stats will show that Emi didn't achieve 100% with his passes, while Rupp  much like McLean, will have perfect stats for passing 5 yards to the player next to him or passing it back to the defence. 

Stats are there to be interpreted but don't tell the full story. 

I'm not saying that he, or you, are bad people, but I'm not having Rupp as the world's best player like it seems fashionable to say on here at the moment. 

I don't let Archant's agenda dictate my thinking, look at it with open eyes, think about it and formulate your own opinion. 

15 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

He’s 29 years old so he isn’t going to develop much more, if at all.

Players can always develop whatever their age, it is largely whether they have the mind to want to do it or not.  Just looking at Tettey, his comfort on the ball has improved markedly over the last three/four years.  That is down to him buying in to what the coach was wanting to see and developing his game and probably why he is still in the squad.  I always think of when John bond came to Norwich and how players like Dave Stringer and Duncan Forbes developed their skills under the new management. If a player has the desire to learn and improve they will, whatever their age.

1 minute ago, Number9 said:

It happens quite often, let me put it in context.

Emi will run with the ball and run into three defenders, lose the ball and sit on the ground demanding a free kick. His team mates all wondering why they bothered making their runs because he didn't pass to them. 

But, Emi many, many times will make a quick, first time pass which puts the advanced players through in a goal scoring chance. 

The stats will show that Emi didn't achieve 100% with his passes, while Rupp  much like McLean, will have perfect stats for passing 5 yards to the player next to him or passing it back to the defence. 

Stats are there to be interpreted but don't tell the full story. 

I'm not saying that he, or you, are bad people, but I'm not having Rupp as the world's best player like it seems fashionable to say on here at the moment. 

I don't let Archant's agenda dictate my thinking, look at it with open eyes, think about it and formulate your own opinion. 

I kind of agree with this. It's great that Rupp has improved to the point of being a regular starter and that he is making himself a key player, but there are improvements he can make to his game still and watching him play, I find myself thinking, wow, if you can improve that much, then you can improve some more. A goal or two would help him immensely. 

It's not a case of not being happy with a player, or that it is churlish to want more, but more that you can see there is more he could do to develop his game further. I think that with Todd too and Emi too. Placheta is an interesting one because he looks to have loads of potential and willingness to fit in with what the coach wants him to play like, so I am looking forwards to seeing his development. Why I get very frustrated with some players is usually that I don't see any attempt from them to want to learn or develop, or that they look as if they think they are the bees knees already when they plainly aren't.

Rupp is one of those players who clearly is up to the challenge and is developing and improving and starting to get the best from himself. As others have said, he had good moments last season and it was clear there was a good player in there - he is now proving that and it is exciting to see that and having the hope of seeing him get even better as the season progresses.

Assists is an interesting stat as you’re reliant on someone else to get the job done. I’m very confident that Rupp has played a number of excellent final balls only for the recipient to fluff their lines completely. If our conversion rate wasn’t so poor, I’m sure Rupp would have at least a couple of assists to his name already this season.

• Like 1

Must say he's playing very well and certainly in recent games out performing Skipp. Doesn;t deserve to be dropped and if giving us the sort of "all round" midfielder we've been missing. if I had to be picky i'd say he needs to add the longer, early pass to his locker. In particular there is often a ball on to Max in acres of space wide right and he just doesn't seem to see it or if he does its too late and the space has been closed down. Obviously he could improve his shooting as well because he;s had quite a lot of shots and probably should have had 2 or 3 goals by now with the positions he's got himself into.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I kind of agree with this. It's great that Rupp has improved to the point of being a regular starter and that he is making himself a key player, but there are improvements he can make to his game still and watching him play, I find myself thinking, wow, if you can improve that much, then you can improve some more. A goal or two would help him immensely. 

It's not a case of not being happy with a player, or that it is churlish to want more, but more that you can see there is more he could do to develop his game further. I think that with Todd too and Emi too. Placheta is an interesting one because he looks to have loads of potential and willingness to fit in with what the coach wants him to play like, so I am looking forwards to seeing his development. Why I get very frustrated with some players is usually that I don't see any attempt from them to want to learn or develop, or that they look as if they think they are the bees knees already when they plainly aren't.

Rupp is one of those players who clearly is up to the challenge and is developing and improving and starting to get the best from himself. As others have said, he had good moments last season and it was clear there was a good player in there - he is now proving that and it is exciting to see that and having the hope of seeing him get even better as the season progresses.

Now I'm worried lockdown has muddled my thinking if it's LDC agreeing with me!

😂

3 hours ago, Clint said:

Assists is an interesting stat as you’re reliant on someone else to get the job done. I’m very confident that Rupp has played a number of excellent final balls only for the recipient to fluff their lines completely. If our conversion rate wasn’t so poor, I’m sure Rupp would have at least a couple of assists to his name already this season.

I'd argue that considering how we play, the assist before the assist is just as important, but that's not a statistic that anyone really follows to the best of my knowledge. Often, the last ball in is a fairly simple one because someone came up with a piercing ball before it. Leitner would probably rack a fair few of these up, or indeed Vrancic. To a lesser extent so would Zimmermann or Godfrey with their diagonals.

I don't think anyone's calling Rupp a world-beater though, but they are seeing a player who's showing up extremely well in this side as it stands. Where I think that's come from is a sort of halo effect after a relatively poor start.

5 hours ago, Number9 said:

Now I'm worried lockdown has muddled my thinking if it's LDC agreeing with me!

😂

No, you're just learning that my way of thinking is the best way of looking at things 😁

Now this is where I see things very differently from the OP and his sycophantic ilk.

I actually think CM is where our problem lies. Both Rupp and Skipp are for me.... hmmmm nothing special. In fact they are a problem. Theit end product offensivly is zero. Now I know many will say Skipp is a DM but there is nothing in the rule book about you not being allowed to create in that position to. Ask Roy Keane. And Rupp. I understand why some think hes wonderful. Hes tidy and plays the simple pass well enough. Many in here seem fooled my the umteen shots the guy has had this season. Most of which never miss the first man. But that the problem with many, they count shots not goals. Rupp is never going to be a goal scoring CM as long as he has a hole you know where. Yes he might get one every 20 games but thats it. And whilst we need the defensive side of their games they are hardly, Keane and Vieira in that department either. 

No for me we lack thrust and cutting edge through the centre and thats a big problem. Neither player is going to dictate a game from the middle.  Its easy to confuse a busy players with a really effecting and productive one.

And over to you.

• Thanks 1

The presence of two proper disciplined and defensive minded central midfielders (along with the arrival of Gibson) is a large part of why we have been harder to score against this season, it’s the old balance between attack and defence issue which has existed since football has. In theory the four in front of Skipp and Rupp along with the full backs are the players who should create and make things happen. Box to box midfielders who can be effective at both ends of the pitch are hard to come by at this level and putting Vrancic or Buendia in there for example would compromise the way that the team defends. I think the two in there are doing a decent job and long may that continue. 

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 1

Rupp has been excellent. He's a better version of McLean, who is a decent CM at the Championship level. The partnership with Skipp works well and I feel confident that if we can lock the two of them in the middle for the majority of the season we will have an excellent chance at promotion.

CAM and WM is where the questions remain for me.