Sign in to follow this  
Mullet

23 shots only 1 goal

Well Birmingham are a decent outfit at this level and 75% possession, a clean sheet and a win  is more than fine by me, the squad seems to be settling all over the pitch and i still think there is more to come, give me another 30 games of 20 odd shots, 1 goal and a win and i will not complain

17 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

To be fair largely down to Cantwell show boating through out the game as picked up by the Brum fans as well 

I bet you'd love to have the skill to showboat a bit....but you haven't even the literal skills to showboat on here.

On 20/10/2020 at 22:11, Kenny Foggo said:

18th in the league for shot conversion shows that our forwards need to find their shooting boots

Might that have something to do with the fact that we are playing against parked buses and consequently there are more bodies in front of the goal when we shoot even from 6 yds!    We have been unlucky at times....  Stats are strange sometimes - take Cantwells shot the defender blocked brilliantly... that doesn’t count as one on target when clearly it was.   

18 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

To be fair largely down to Cantwell show boating through out the game as picked up by the Brum fans as well 

Explain.... to be fair?    If there’s one thing you are not, it’s fair.    There has never been balance to your points!   

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Explain.... to be fair?    If there’s one thing you are not, it’s fair.    There has never been balance to your points!   

He can't, he's  a Dolt, a Cretin and a Buboe  on the backside of this forum.  ....and thats being benevolent  towards the Stinkwaffler.

On 20/10/2020 at 22:02, Mullet said:

Birmingham were hardly in this game which is great but we struggle to break teams down. Defensively better with Gibson and Skipp but we don't have Pukki anymore I think we've seen the best of him do we have true goal threat anymore?

1 goal.......that's all it took. Stop moaning and enjoy the 3 points!

2 hours ago, BigManInTheBarclay said:

1 goal.......that's all it took. Stop moaning and enjoy the 3 points!

How is asking the question do we have a true goal threat anymore, moaning?

40 minutes ago, Mullet said:

How is asking the question do we have a true goal threat anymore, moaning?

I'll answer your question Yes we do have a goal threat, that's why we have had the most shots so far this season - that is a goal threat.

Conversion is a different thing entirely - shots on target are a better statistic and we only had 4 on Tuesday So the question you're really asking is do we have players who have the skillset to be able to convert the chances we create? 

I think everyone is writing Pukki off a bit easily - he is a class player and he will get  at least 15 goals for us this season. Hugill is still finding his feet; Idah is still learning and adapting. I do think we might need the likes of Cantwell, Buendia, Placheta etc to contribute more goals this year if we are going to trouble the top 2. 

Against Rotherham we had lots more on target but found a goalkeeper in fine form - which happened to us a lot last season too. 

Scoring goals is the hardest thing to do. I think it's a bit early to look for problems - if you watched the Watford/Blackburn game last night the stats don't always get reflected in the result when a goalie has a blinder, but I don't think Blackburn did a lot wrong.

6 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I'll answer your question Yes we do have a goal threat, that's why we have had the most shots so far this season - that is a goal threat.

Conversion is a different thing entirely - shots on target are a better statistic and we only had 4 on Tuesday So the question you're really asking is do we have players who have the skillset to be able to convert the chances we create? 

I think everyone is writing Pukki off a bit easily - he is a class player and he will get  at least 15 goals for us this season. Hugill is still finding his feet; Idah is still learning and adapting. I do think we might need the likes of Cantwell, Buendia, Placheta etc to contribute more goals this year if we are going to trouble the top 2. 

Against Rotherham we had lots more on target but found a goalkeeper in fine form - which happened to us a lot last season too. 

Scoring goals is the hardest thing to do. I think it's a bit early to look for problems - if you watched the Watford/Blackburn game last night the stats don't always get reflected in the result when a goalie has a blinder, but I don't think Blackburn did a lot wrong.

Yes by goal threat I mean shots on target after all a shot off target isn't ever going to be a goal and goals win games.

I hope you're right that Pukki chips in with 15 goals. You sound less optimistic about Hugill and Idah so we will need a good contribution from the mid field. This was the point of my original question  and you answered it

Did we win?

Yes we did. 

Several teams have now set up in a 541 against us.

It takes out the space where Pukki likes to make his runs out and restricts us from attacking in the middle -however we have enough clever players who can make space or who can draw and win fouls in the penalty area even when opponents are being so negative. We are getting better at handling this massed defense, but yes it is difficult. 

Significantly in the Derby, Rotherham and Birmingham games the deciding goal came very late. 

If we score against the 541 earlier in the game then teams will have to come out and play us.

When they do, we are going to give someone a spanking.

Ideally we'd score first and score early in every game but until we do I'm happy with 1-0.