cambridgeshire canary

England vs Belguin match thread

Thought second half we played fairly well. Not fluent attacking football perhaps, but a few decent moves and we were easily equal to them. First half we were second best, but ground out a win. 

It’s alright saying we played awful and got lucky with a pen and a deflection, but we were playing the world’s number 1 ranked team and they only managed to score from a pen as well. I can only really think of one really good chance they had second half where the striker went with his right foot when he should have gone with his left. But if we’re going with ifs and buts, 99 times out 100, Kane buries that free header and it’s a 3-1 win.

2 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Thought second half we played fairly well. Not fluent attacking football perhaps, but a few decent moves and we were easily equal to them. First half we were second best, but ground out a win. 

It’s alright saying we played awful and got lucky with a pen and a deflection, but we were playing the world’s number 1 ranked team and they only managed to score from a pen as well. I can only really think of one really good chance they had second half where the striker went with his right foot when he should have gone with his left. But if we’re going with ifs and buts, 99 times out 100, Kane buries that free header and it’s a 3-1 win.

Belguim fell apart when they took Kevin off

People were making out like Belgium were some side we had to aspire to be after 30 minutes. 

After 90, Belgium had had two shots on target.

Now since Norwich and Farke were in for so much criticism from our own fans after completely outplaying Derby but losing, I hope the same fans are out dancing in the streets that England won 2-1 despite not having the best of the game.

2 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

Some strange choices in there, and I'm in agreement that Grealish must be wondering WTF is going on after he played so well when given the chance, and gets dropped immediately in exchange for far more defensive and less technically gifted players.

Maguire being selected just shows that it's also seemingly ok to start fights with police (allegedly), then attempt to bribe them (allegedly), and yet has no real impact on your club or international career (apparently).

Good role model choice right there.

Pickford has been poor for the past year and is on the verge of being dropped by Ancelotti, yet gets played regardless despite the performance and ability of players like Pope and D.Henderson.

Will we EVER have an England manager that actually has a clue what they're doing???

You don’t think Maguire should have been playing but you think Jack Grealish, the nox inhaling, coronavirus lockdown breaking, drink driving and leaving the scene of an accident paragon of virtue should be? 🤣

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Belguim fell apart when they took Kevin off

They did, but hadn’t created much before that and we were already 2-1 up.

Bottom line - if we won a World Cup “scraping” wins like that, I’d take it!

On 11/10/2020 at 19:53, Mr Angry said:

You don’t think Maguire should have been playing but you think Jack Grealish, the nox inhaling, coronavirus lockdown breaking, drink driving and leaving the scene of an accident paragon of virtue should be? 🤣

Good point, well made.