Sign in to follow this  
HertsCanary93

How does Farke turn it back around?

1. Buy 2 defenders who can defend & move Godfrey into midfield (if he's still here)

2. Identify and buy a proper leader on the pitch. There is not one in the Club at the moment.

3. Get the players to think only about moving the ball forwards rather than sideways or backwards

4. Don't try to play tippy tappy in our own penalty area.

5. Get rid of zonal marking at corners.

6. Encourage players to get crosses in quicker rather than getting to the byline and then turning round/passing back/losing the ball

7. Shoot at every opportunity rather than trying to tee somebody else up.

8. Offload the dross - Drmic, Rupp, Stiepermann, Trybul, Leitner should be first on the list.

9. Spend the money we get from selling Aarons, Lewis, Cantwell, Beundia but spend it wisely.

10. Build a team around Vrancic, Hernadez and Idah

Edited by Making Plans

He can't in terms of keeping us up, is the long and short of it, but can going forwards. His biggest challenge now is to keep as much of this squad together as he can. Thankfully the gulf between the championship and premier League means that we should still be competitive when we drop down if we can keep the core of the squad together.

Making Plans I agree with a lot of your points, bit harsh to call Steipi dross given how critical he was to our success last season, and Trybull has put in some decent shifts - although neither have reached the levels they provided last season, but in truth that statement applies to a large chunk of this squad!

I know Farke has his frustrations (zonal marking) but I sympathise with him.

As mentioned by another poster, we are basically playing with the same squad that were expected to finish mid-table last season. Webber's signings over the summer have been massively ineffective and he's said how disappointed he has been about that.

Stepping back and looking at the season, I think it's clear that our confidence has slowly drained as the season has progressed. Disappointing results, injuries and VAR decisions have contributed to this and it explains why the performances have deteriorated. I'm sure the players are trying their best, but our style of play relies on bold confident passing, which we seem to be scared of doing now.

We are as good as down and it's important that the club look to improve. Our squad are clearly lacking in quality and we don't seem to have a plan b. I expect SW to address this and improve to playing squad, so that we are more prepared if/when we get promoted again.

12 hours ago, HertsCanary93 said:

On track for less than 30 goals in 38 games. The widely lambasted Chris Hughton season, led by the Wolf himself managed a tally of 39.

Minor point but this isn't true- we scored 28 league goals that season. 

1. Buendia must play central. Reminds me of when previous managers tried playing houlihan on wing. ineffective against fast players. 
2. must have pace either side of Pukki up front. 
3. must improve the cm positions drastically. You could have the best cds in the world but if they keep getting exposed to midfielders running though unmarked you’re doomed. 
4. maybe realise godfrey might not turn into the cb he hoped but still could be the dmc we are crying out for. 
5. Add some muscle to the team. All to often we’re pushed off the ball and the amount of uncontested Ariel balls is unbelievable. 

This season has been poor due to farkes hands being tied with the poor recruitment. He’s still the correct man and will only get better. I’m actually looking forward to next season and suspect we’ll have a massively changed first eleven. 

Agree with many of the points Making Plans has made. We are showing green shoots of deadwood, a few he has listed, although Rupp will be ok as an all rounder. 

A mini rebuild over the close season, probably necessitated by players leaving which ultimately will impact on the way we play.

A viable replacement for Tettey. I don't care how good a CB he is, or thinks he is, Godfrey needs to be playing there. Glimpses against Man U, again last night with that thunderous 30 yarder. It needs to be tried not stubbornly rejected.

At least 2 more CBs required. Klose is past it (early deadwood), Hanley injury prone, Zimmermann injury prone. 

Much to ponder in a short period of time for Farke.

A couple of things I'd say...

Embrace physicality- not every player has to be Xavi level comfortable on the ball. A good, physical midfielder could make all the difference if given the chance.

Height- our style of play wins us lots of set pieces but we're barely a threat from them, especially when Godfrey is in central defence. They don't have to be Peter Crouch type beanpoles but a couple of 6 foot + types scattered in midfield and attack would help us be more of a threat from all the corners we seem to win. Oh and let Vrancic take them.

57 minutes ago, king canary said:

Minor point but this isn't true- we scored 28 league goals that season. 

Thanks for pointing out, I must have mistaken it for the relegation under AN. Will edit main post. 

Point still stands, we're still going to score less than we did that season - considering we're meant to be an attacking team. That is unacceptable.