Well b back

Come on Sarah

23 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Yes, it seems similar to Pfizer. I wonder if this might be a Xmas present for many people if (and a big IF) it might be ready for distribution towards the end of December as the reporter hinted?

As usual I will be happy for TJ to correct me, but as I understand it the safety reports are already in with Oxford and being analysed as this vaccine is their original sars vaccine. Moderna have to put their safety papers together as do Pfizer. The fact the beginning of December is even being mentioned, hints the results really are imminent.

• Like 1

Thanks WBB, my work is really busy at the moment so it's really helpful to be able to drop into this thread to get my update on vaccine news !  Fingers crossed, when the Oxford vaccine reports with safety data then assuming it's good as expected, we can really feel optimistic.

4 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Thanks WBB, my work is really busy at the moment so it's really helpful to be able to drop into this thread to get my update on vaccine news !  Fingers crossed, when the Oxford vaccine reports with safety data then assuming it's good as expected, we can really feel optimistic.

Again subject to confirmation from TJ I would say these results are a help even if Oxford is not as effective. As Pfizer is good in the older age groups, our 10 million doses can be used for those over 65, whilst Oxford if not so effective in older groups can be given to below 65s.

And in that CNA video was he saying Sputnik is Oxford ? Or was he guessing.

The world is going mad with Pfizer reports, for once it is easy to find reports on the subject.

Many reports have confirmed that Pfizer have now requested emergency approval in the US, UK and Europe.

37 minutes ago, Well b back said:

70 + as well

So this must be what's called an official countdown! A teasing snippet...no, much more than that, it's virtually there isn't it?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sonyc said:

So this must be what's called an official countdown! A teasing snippet...no, much more than that, it's virtually there isn't it?

To many chickens have we counted lol.

When Sarah or TJ say it’s good then that will be good enough for me lol.

• Haha 1

I have a new addiction Sonyc updating my browser every 10 - 15 minutes with the words ‘ when will there be results for the Oxford vaccine ‘.

On 17/11/2020 at 22:13, Van wink said:

101%

Yes, cures you plus any bat you've ever been in contact with................

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

Or mink hopefully

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

From what I have read though there would be no reason for the Chinese to falsely declare a vaccine works, as if it does not they will rapidly need to work with others to get one in that does work. But who knows ( excuse the pun )

Now manufacturing Oxford

2 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

When do you reckon a vaccine will be rolled out to the general public starting with the oldies like me ?

2 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

When do you reckon a vaccine will be rolled out to the general public starting with the oldies like me ?

AstraZeneca in Australia. Be a big waste if it doesn’t work !

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Hi CK

Sorry didn’t mean to quote you on that last one.

In answer to your question It does seem to depend on the efficacy of Oxford. I can’t see us getting much Pfizer rapidly and Merdona will be spring. It seems the initial Pfizer lot will start with care home residents, nhs and carers ( possibly other key workers ) then the extremely vulnerable. Oxford if approved should cover all us oldies fairly quickly. It will be the U.K. game changer. 
There seems to be a lot of confidence that vaccinations will commence before Christmas but that as we speak seems to be just Pfizer unless the likes of Hancock know something we don’t.

Don’t know if anyone is watching the news. City of London College says they have manufactured millions of doses, they must be very confident.

More news on the mink. TJ ( or anyone ) can you confirm what they are saying as I have read this as the mutation no longer exists and was extinct before the cull ? But not sure.

A mutated form of coronavirus that led to orders to mass cull mink in Denmark is "most likely" extinct, according to the country's health ministry. The identification of the new strain had caused panic that it could compromise new vaccines.

Earlier this month, the Danish government drafted in the army to assist with the culling of 17 million farmed mink. But the order was found to be illegal, as it should have only applied in areas where the virus had been detected. 

On Wednesday the agriculture minister resigned over his role in the decision. Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen, who has apologised publicly, is also facing calls from the opposition to resign over the cull.

The country is now lifting restrictions in northern Denmark where the infected mink were found. Restaurants and cafes will re-open from Friday and people will be able to travel to other regions.

Good news and bad news in one. Pollard confirms phase 3 results will be out by Christmas. More of a wait than we thought maybe.

University of Oxford scientists expect to report results from the late-stage trials of their Covid-19 vaccine by Christmas, a key researcher said today as he discussed the team's latest findings.

Dr. Andrew Pollard, an expert in pediatric infection and immunity at Oxford, said research was slowed by low infection rates over the summer, but the Phase III trials are now accumulating the data needed to report results as a renewed surge of the pandemic hits countries around the world.

"I think we're getting close, and it's definitely going to be before Christmas based on the progress," Pollard said in an interview with the BBC.

Pollard discussed progress in the late-stage trials as Oxford released a study based on earlier research that found the vaccine was well tolerated and produced a strong immune response in people over 70. This is important because vaccines often don't work as well in older people, Pollard said.

"The reason that we're so delighted is the we're seeing the immune responses look exactly the same, even in those who are over 70 years of age," Pollard said.

The findings were based on a so-called phase II trial of 560 people, including 240 over the age of 70. The results of the peer-reviewed study were published today in the Lancet, an international medical journal.

Two other drugmakers, Pfizer and Moderna, this week reported preliminary results from late-stage trials showing that their vaccines were almost 95 per cent effective.

Pollard said there is no competition between the various research teams, because several vaccines will be needed to bring the global pandemic under control and allow life to return to normal.

I heard the interview on radio 4 this morning and even though Christmas was mentioned my impression from hearing it live was that it could well be before that.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I heard the interview on radio 4 this morning and even though Christmas was mentioned my impression from hearing it live was that it could well be before that.

Sorry VW I’ve run out of hearts, to much good news, but thanks for that. I assume they maybe close enough for the full number they were aiming for rather than opening the results when they are almost there. 

Scientists at the University of Oxford have said they hope to have vaccine results by Christmas and confirmed regulators are conducting a so-called ‘rolling review’ to speed up the process.

Prof Sarah Gilbert, lead researcher of Oxford’s vaccine development programme, said the team had already been in contact with several regulators to give them information to assess before Oxford produce a final clinical data set.