Sign in to follow this  
Surfer

Coronavirus and the Media

On 26/04/2020 at 01:52, Rock The Boat said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4669728/BBC-admits-spends-139-000-year-buying-Guardian.html

The BBC has opened itself up to accusations of left-wing bias after it was revealed that it buys more than 1,300 copies of the Guardian every week.

The Corporation ordered 69,212 copies of the left-leaning newspaper, which has a relatively small circulation and is free to view on the internet.

Although the Guardian has a small circulation among the public, the paper was the second most ordered by the Beeb and cost the Corporation a total of £139,260 last year.

Did you catch the BBC's Trot-dominated Panorama show, RtB? 😀

Nothing seems to embarrass the Left these days 💩🤪🤡🤥

The top 10 killers in England and Wales (and in the UK as a whole)

• Total deaths in 2018 in England and Wales were 541,589
  • The top three killers each year are cancer, dementia/alzheimers, and heart disease - totalling 271,830 deaths in 2018
  • 19,093 deaths have so far been linked to Coronavirus in 2020, although cause of death is not certain in all (see below)
  • That's currently 7% of the expected total of deaths from all causes, although of course this will end up being higher
  • First academic study on increased cancer deaths due to focus on Coronavirus suggests nearly 20,000 extra will die this year.

corona_top_10_killers_290420.jpg

No need to panic everyone. We’ve got numerous scientists pulling together to solve this 😀 They already came up with a ground-breaking idea: “Wash your hands” 🙃 I wonder what might come next, maybe even “Chew your food before swallowing it” 😜

Didn’t we invest wisely in these scientists’ education? They are trying to impress and belittle us with their chaotic graphs, but are yet to come up with anything really useful. Should we clap them, let's say every Monday, or is that already taken to clap someone else? 🤪

1 minute ago, Herman said:

Really??

Nothing's changed then, Hermintrude --- You're still failing to keep up with events on any given topic...

Good thing I'm back from a lengthy ban to get you up to scratch 😜 

7 hours ago, Jools said:

Did you catch the BBC's Trot-dominated Panorama show, RtB? 😀

Nothing seems to embarrass the Left these days 💩🤪🤡🤥

The BBC have given up all pretence of being unbiased and neutral. And they're being caught out with their dirty tricks

• Like 1

Considering you two are upset I presume the BBC have been doing their job properly and not just pumping out government propaganda?!

3 hours ago, Surfer said:

As you seem to be terminally dim, let me help you out here. 

The numbers quoted are PER YEAR, so even the worst normal cause of death is 146,000 / 52 = 2.8K deaths per week. 

CoronaVirus deaths are over approximately 7 weeks, so 19,000 / 7 = 2.7K deaths per week. 

So quibble if you want about the divisor to be used, but at minimum CoronaVirus is about a deadly as cancer. 

I know you constantly spout absolute drivel, but this line of argument is going to get people killed you pr@t. 

Because of the lockdowns, GDP is down by 3.8% in the euro area and by 3.5% in the EU – and this is just the beginning.

How many lives do you estimate will be lost due to falling economies?

Scott Atlas of Stanford University’s Hoover Institution offers five facts that show lockdown is a mistake:

1. The overwhelming majority of people do not have any significant risk of dying from Covid-19.

2. Protecting older, at-risk people eliminates hospital overcrowding.

3. Vital population immunity is prevented by total isolation policies, prolonging the problem.

4. People are dying because other medical care is not being carried out.

5. We have a clearly defined population at risk who can be protected with targets measures.

I believe history will prove We should've gone with the herd immunity the government initially proposed.

Ps -- How come it's okay for you and others to use swear words? I get a six-week ban for that 🤔

4 hours ago, Herman said:

Considering you two are upset I presume the BBC have been doing their job properly and not just pumping out government propaganda?!

If the BBC were doing their job properly there wouldn't be vast swathes of people complaining about them.

And no, Hermione, vast swathes of UK citizens are not RWNJ's --- The increasing numbers of ordinary people including apolitical and former lifelong Labour supporters are seeing through their detrimental agenda...

I prefer to believe you can actually see it, but you would never admit it because your Leftism is too ingrained.

Everyone grumbles about the BBC at some point but the majority are right wingers, who are always upset about something, and hardcore Corbynites.

As to the Panorama programme that people are complaining about none of the complainants are actually refuting the facts just focussing on the fact that the nurses are Labour supporters. Playing the man ratner than the ball.This is Classic Dom. Everyone ends up arguing about the unimportant part and forgets about the important part.

Edited by Herman
Less antagonism.

Do we really have to put up with rhetoric just based on hate and disrespect. It would be nice to have a conversation without the tripe that has started up again.

15 hours ago, Jools said:

If the BBC were doing their job properly there wouldn't be vast swathes of people complaining about them.

And no, Hermione, vast swathes of UK citizens are not RWNJ's --- The increasing numbers of ordinary people including apolitical and former lifelong Labour supporters are seeing through their detrimental agenda...

I prefer to believe you can actually see it, but you would never admit it because your Leftism is too ingrained.

Jools seems to have caught a double dose of the 'vast swathes'.

Comedy gold Jools, keep it up. 😀

Latest so-called "gold standard" excess mortality by Murdoch for the FT (he has also produced an interactive map for users on his Twitter page...this shows a useful comparison with other countries 

On 03/05/2020 at 15:53, A Load of Squit said:

Jools seems to have caught a double dose of the 'vast swathes'.

Comedy gold Jools, keep it up. 😀

He thinks Marjorie from Woking with the blue rinse and twin set, who misses that nice chap Robert Dougal, is the future of the UK.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/top-scientists-publish-stark-warnings-21976241

Not been sure where to post this because the main Coronavirus thread is now talking about excess mortality and before arguments started when looking at the political messaging. Given that this story seems to be only with the Mirror I've copied here. There are 9 learning points, some that look back and some forward. Found it interesting and shows the different inputs relating to  being 'guided by the science'.

• Thanks 1

Economics Editor of FT piece here. He believes the truth death figure (Covid and related)  up to and including today is estimated to be close to 53800. A marked increase on the reported 32300 today. His chart is attached below. 

48 minutes ago, sonyc said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/top-scientists-publish-stark-warnings-21976241

Not been sure where to post this because the main Coronavirus thread is now talking about excess mortality and before arguments started when looking at the political messaging. Given that this story seems to be only with the Mirror I've copied here. There are 9 learning points, some that look back and some forward. Found it interesting and shows the different inputs relating to  being 'guided by the science'.

Thanks for that. I think "following the science" is a soundbite that can be confined to the bin when it has been twice suggested today, and in this piece, that policy was pushing the science,

On 03/05/2020 at 15:21, keelansgrandad said:

Do we really have to put up with rhetoric just based on hate and disrespect. It would be nice to have a conversation without the tripe that has started up again.

When the BBC populates its Panorama program with political activists from just one party then it's a one-sided conversation. When the BBC fails to flag this fact then they become a propagandist machine. I don't have a problem with the BBC doing this if they were self-financing. But when we are forced to pay for this with the threat of jail if we don't pay then it's only right that we should be allowed to opt out.

When the BBC populates its Panorama program with political activists from just one party then it's a one-sided conversation. When the BBC fails to flag this fact then they become a propagandist machine. I don't have a problem with the BBC doing this if they were self-financing. But when we are forced to pay for this with the threat of jail if we don't pay then it's only right that we should be allowed to opt out.

That is just an opinion based on your own political leaning. There have been as many Panorama programs about Corbyn as Johnson. Its the same when they say comedy programs are all left wing comedians. You cannot be a right wing comedian can you. Heard the one about the poor person died of starvation? It just doesn't fit.

6 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

That is just an opinion based on your own political leaning. There have been as many Panorama programs about Corbyn as Johnson. Its the same when they say comedy programs are all left wing comedians. You cannot be a right wing comedian can you. Heard the one about the poor person died of starvation? It just doesn't fit.

But it's not an opinion that the Panorama programme was only the views of left wing activists. They were all identified by their roles. 

So l let's make the BBC a subscription service so that we have the choice of whether or not we wish to support it. 

• Like 1

But it's not an opinion that the Panorama programme was only the views of left wing activists. They were all identified by their roles. 

Which Panorama programme?

While the main story is (or should be) about US 85,000 deaths in three months, and no concrete plans from the White House other than essentially "not my problem, go back to work" Fox News posts this graphic. 

Now, I used to think that green meant "good to go" and yellow meant "caution" and red meant "stop" 

Here I am in California at the beginning of a very cautious, methodical release of restrictions, with no in-store shopping, take out only from restaurants, no bars open, no barbershops open, no gyms open, no sunbathing, playgrounds closed, no working allowed at the office except for essential workers..... and we are "green" ?

Just another element of un-subtle propaganda pushing "the virus is a hoax, reopen America!" 

Re-open.jpg

Edited by Surfer

And Reuters. 

A sixth straight weekly decline in unemployment benefit filings. 

A true statement and also designed to mislead? That does not mean that benefit claims have declined to 3 million. i.e there re 3 million people claiming unemployment. It means that this week only an ADDITIONAL 3 million claimed unemployment benefits.

Keep rate of claims up and eventually they will be able to say "for the first time in US history NO CLAIMS were made for UB this week.... "  Yes because everyone is unemployed there is nobody left to make a claim for unemployment 

just w.t.f. is wrong with the media that they can't communicate information clearly? 

Reuters.jpg

Not Virus related per se ... but just another indicator of the RWNJ "press" and the WH "press" officer. Feeding poison into the body politic... how staged do you think that question was.... no, not at all?  Seeding the idea "if President Obama could get a pardon, why can't Gen Flynn"

IT'S BECAUSE PRESIDENT OBAMA COMMITTED NO CRIME WHILE GEN FLYNN DID _ HE PLED GUILTY.

OANN only has credentials because the WH insists that they do. This is the "reporter" the President always tries to bail to if he's asked a difficult question, and why he stormed out the other day when he couldn't. 

Meanwhile, Sleep Joe shows we are in trouble if either he or the current Idiot are the leader of the world's most influential nation.

"If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black," Mr Biden responded.