Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

Pre-season friendlies

Farke not too concerned by Thompson injury, but worried the Godfrey injury could be more serious. Damn.

8 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Farke not too concerned by Thompson injury, but worried the Godfrey injury could be more serious. Damn.

That's hugely concerning. Wonder if we'll now need to dip into the market for CB cover... only Hanley and Klose likely to be fit for our first couple of games. Big worry.

I’ve had a bit of a concern all along that we appear to be sticking with the defence from last season, as we were a far too porous...injuries are definitely not something we need, though maybe they’ll get us to dip into the transfer market.

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

That's hugely concerning. Wonder if we'll now need to dip into the market for CB cover... only Hanley and Klose likely to be fit for our first couple of games. Big worry.

Still think Norwich will only get another centreback if they sell Hanley. 

Bringing in someone for the first few games is a difficult task. Once everyone is fit you’ll have 5 centrebacks, which means probably two not even getting on the bench. 

I guess it will probably mean Rocky doesn’t go out on loan like originally planned - he might even come in to join the first team for the rest of the tour (seriousness of Godfrey’s injury dependent). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Bringing in someone for the first few games is a difficult task. Once everyone is fit you’ll have 5 centrebacks, which means probably two not even getting on the bench. 

I guess it will probably mean Rocky doesn’t go out on loan like originally planned - he might even come in to join the first team for the rest of the tour (seriousness of Godfrey’s injury dependent). 

Or maybe Odusina? Same age, but he's been around the club longer so might be more au fait with the way we play...

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

Or maybe Odusina? Same age, but he's been around the club longer so might be more au fait with the way we play...

Rocky has played 40 top flight games in Belgium and is a youth international. I think he’d be the one who would be expected to step up. 

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Rocky has played 40 top flight games in Belgium and is a youth international. I think he’d be the one who would be expected to step up. 

Obviously I trust whatever decision they make in that regard, but Timi has been around the club for a long time so that might count for something, perhaps? Seems a big ask to bring in a foreign youngster who's only been at the club five minutes ahead of someone who's spent the last few years in our Cat 1 academy...

It'd be Rocky for me too Wolfo. Playing as a CB is fairly straightforward. Give me a player with senior experience over an academy player anyday. If Timi was nearly ready, he's not ready enough.

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

It'd be Rocky for me too Wolfo. Playing as a CB is fairly straightforward. Give me a player with senior experience over an academy player anyday. If Timi was nearly ready, he's not ready enough.

Yeah, you make a good point Corky. What are the rules concerning loan players? Can we loan players for just a month or two? Or just until January? Or is it season-long loans only in the Prem?

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yeah, you make a good point Corky. What are the rules concerning loan players? Can we loan players for just a month or two? Or just until January? Or is it season-long loans only in the Prem?

Loans have to be from one window to another, so until January at least. 

Finding a player who is willing to come in and cover some injuries for the first few games of the season will be tough though. Especially one who is actually good enough to actually use.

Zimmerman should be back training roughly by the time the season starts, so as long as there are no more injuries, Norwich should be okay with Rocky to sit on the bench and come on if needed.  

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Loans have to be from one window to another, so until January at least. 

Finding a player who is willing to come in and cover some injuries for the first few games of the season will be tough though. Especially one who is actually good enough to actually use.

Zimmerman should be back training roughly by the time the season starts, so as long as there are no more injuries, Norwich should be okay with Rocky to sit on the bench and come on if needed.  

Here's hoping, Bethnal! Any idea of the nature of Godfrey's injury? I didn't see the impact. Did anyone see footage of him on crutches? Was he putting weight on it? I'm clearly getting a bit edgy here...

4 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Bang on Beth, l totally agree with this. I think we’ll see Rocky brought in to the fold, Godfrey’s reaction suggested he’ll be out for a few weeks.

Heise ?

Plays a LB so he should have a fair idea of what is needed and experience at senior level, although 6ft is no great height for a CB now.

As Rocky is below the qualifying age he can step up whenever needed without needing to be named as part of the 25 man squad.

14 hours ago, shefcanary said:

One thing is for sure from the stream.  I was right about the kit.  Far too much green on the shirt.  Makes them look as if they've been playing hours already.  Never have a good season when there's loads of green on our shirts.  Simpler the better.

Can't say i like the green. Never a fan of the Dropped In It colour blend, and certainly not this shade of green. Think i will buy a training shirt. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bill said:

although 6ft is no great height for a CB now.

Simon Charlton was 5 foot 8... (and probably still is).

Edited by Woodman

10 hours ago, Bill said:

Heise ?

Plays a LB so he should have a fair idea of what is needed and experience at senior level, although 6ft is no great height for a CB now.

As Rocky is below the qualifying age he can step up whenever needed without needing to be named as part of the 25 man squad.

As Heise went into the left back position and Lewis moved central I guess he isn’t seen as an option for centreback. I believe Heise is a very attacking left back, so defending isn’t his forte. 

It is an important point you make regarding Rocky’s age. Getting a new centreback that is over 21 would mean a squad place, which probably isn’t a huge issue if they are homegrown, but with Norwich pretty close to their non-homegrown player limit it could be a greater issue if they want to bring in someone from overseas.