Van wink

WBA v Birmingham

Lee Camp is a terrible keeper..... was equally as bad for Sunderland last year. 

2 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Lee Camp is a terrible keeper..... was equally as bad for Sunderland last year. 

I find it astonishing that he is any championship club's no.1 keeper....presumably David Stockdale must be injured??

There are a lot of 'Lee Camp's' around, 'keeper's that move on every season or so, never win anything, or keep the bench warm for a while, filling a shirt. They don't command huge wages and will retire without anyone noticing, there'll be no testimonial for them and they'll pop up somewhere as a goalkeeping coach. 

On 29/03/2019 at 21:10, westcoastcanary said:

Meanwhile the BBC's live coverage by Jay Freeman consolidates the Beeb's reputation for reliable, balanced and always truthful reporting: "This is a tremendous game for the neutral."  Eh?  🙄

It was a game of lumping the ball forward and hoping you might score. If WBA were to get promoted and if they continue to play this very loose football, they will get hammered every week. Our City play quality football which will survive in the premiership

14 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

It was a game of lumping the ball forward and hoping you might score. If WBA were to get promoted and if they continue to play this very loose football, they will get hammered every week. Our City play quality football which will survive in the premiership

Not sure what your point is exactly Harry. I was complaining about the ineptitude characteristic of the BBC's live reporting of the match (and indeed every match). The reporters appear incapable of intelligent assessment of what they're watching, and the whole "coverage" consists in a series of superficial comments and mindless attempts to say something controversial.

There was a good example of the latter in the coverage of our game last night when, referring to Stiepermann's tackle and yellow card, the reporter couldn't wait to start questioning the referee's decision. I don't think there was one insightful comment on the game throughout the entire coverage. 

7 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

There was a good example of the latter in the coverage of our game last night when, referring to Stiepermann's tackle and yellow card, the reporter couldn't wait to start questioning the referee's decision. I don't think there was one insightful comment on the game throughout the entire coverage. 

Agree with this, sometimes you wonder if you're watching the same game. 

12 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Agree with this, sometimes you wonder if you're watching the same game. 

It's not so much whether they are watching the same game, but whether they know anything at all about football, since they seem to do anything they can to avoid actually having to say anything meaningful or insightful about the play. Furthermore, they clearly have no sense of responsibility as regards encouraging e.g. respect for referees or a proper understanding of the rules of the game. Like the tabloids, they seem concerned only with what they can invest with controversy.

Edited by westcoastcanary

6 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

It's not so much whether they are watching the same game, but whether they know anything at all about football, since they seem to do anything they can to avoid actually having to say anything meaningful or insightful about the play. Furthermore, they clearly have no sense of responsibility as regards encouraging e.g. respect for referees or a proper understanding of the rules of the game. Like the tabloids, they seem concerned only with what they can invest with controversy.

Might be on an island here but...I could have understood the ref giving a red for that tackle.

45 minutes ago, king canary said:

Might be on an island here but...I could have understood the ref giving a red for that tackle.

Yes, in the cliche beloved of match commentators and "expert" summarisers, "I've seen them given". But my question is: why the constant focus on that sort of thing at all? Is a game of football nothing more than a series of incidents from which commentators can generate some artificial controversy? There was a time when, listening to a commentary, you could pretty accurately reconstruct how the game was going from moment to moment; nowadays you can end up without any insight at all into the actual game that's taking place. 

3 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

Yes, in the cliche beloved of match commentators and "expert" summarisers, "I've seen them given". But my question is: why the constant focus on that sort of thing at all? Is a game of football nothing more than a series of incidents from which commentators can generate some artificial controversy? There was a time when, listening to a commentary, you could pretty accurately reconstruct how the game was going from moment to moment; nowadays you can end up without any insight at all into the actual game that's taking place. 

Many people watch the game with the sound turned down and listen to the radio commentary instead, much more informative. 

8 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Many people watch the game with the sound turned down and listen to the radio commentary instead, much more informative. 

Why would anyone watching want to listen either way? I certainly don't. But some unfortunates some of the time have no option but the radio. There are plenty of chat shows available without turning football commentaries into another example of that genre!

12 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

But some unfortunates some of the time have no option but the radio. 

When I worked in London and was driving for a living, the radio was a great way to keep up with the scores and listen to a game.  I didn't consider myself to be unfortunate.