Would you consider the following stances gallows thinking (the last words of the doomed man: "life's a **** in any case,") delusion or just blind jealousy?

On a (rather pointless) thread,  about who TWTDers  would wish the top three places to be taken up this season, one venerable binner, who seems to think one will be us, states the following:-

"I think they will struggle. I'm confident that our season will be a lot more enjoyable than theirs....for once."

For sure? It is of course more enjoyable entertaining the likes of Fleetwood Town, Burton A., Gilligham, Southend etc. on match day than watching the Manchester Uniteds, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelseas etc. (Pogba or Freddie Sears equivalents anybody?)

Than playing to full-houses every home game and on massive stages on away days.

Than full exposure in the press and on tv., including MotD (Quest anybody?) Constant and total access to live games and streaming etc. All regularly transferred to a world stage. 

Than boosting the coffers with all that lovely Sky money (and we will manage that better this time around I, for one, am sure.) Along with increased sponsorship revenue and corporate business.

I could go on, and on, including getting those horrible and "unfair" parachute payments if we fail

I wasn't going to post about this ridiculous statement but that they are now in a position whereby there is nothing left than churlishness is  emphasised by today's gem entitled, "The cost of promotion."

Apparently we lost £8.5m in our promotion season, and all the others have lost more in recent seasons. I wouldn't know the exact truth of this headline assessment or what it refers exactly to (ie. getting there, or attempting to stay there?) but I'll bet we made much more, or recouped, than that with ongoing sales when relegated, (Brady?)

Nevertheless: Who wants promotion? Why can't we be more like Ipswich Town FC? The Ipswich model?

(In truth, Mad McNally did make some massive and costly blunders with the likes of Naismith, Jarvis, Windshutt ...a lesson well heeded?) and I've forgotten who we initially shelled out for .... Klose? Mbokani?

Edited by BroadstairsR

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

Was McNally here when all those platers were signed ?

Think so.It's difficult to keep track with all our yo-yoing and with one season blending into another.

Didn't those signings follow his, "Fate worse than death" speech? and didn't he resign when we got relegated and after AN was sacked?

On 11/03/2019 at 03:24, BroadstairsR said:

"I think they will struggle. I'm confident that our season will be a lot more enjoyable than theirs....for once."

They might be right. But then, who cares? Both sets of supporters will make the best of it whatever happens. Maybe they should focus on the next few games and see if they can close the current gap - to escape now would certainly be worth and extra star.

I'm sure that they will enjoy seeing the loans leave, followed by all the experienced players on high wages, then  all the players who are out of contract, any youngsters who have any value will be sold to try to make up the shortfall that come from being a 3rd Division side. The idea that they're going to walk it doesn't stack up, as they'll struggle to attract more than 12,000 also means that we won't hear much about it. 

You forget that Evans is an 'hinvestor'.

Those transfer fees are merely resting in one of his offshore accounts, as are the deeds to their training ground at Playford Road.

And by 'hinvesting' in the playing squad he has avoided wasting money on the pitch, the ground and a Cat 1 youth system.

What was it Clegg said ................'Operation Premier League,' whereas Milne said the aim was half of the squad from the youth set up by 2017.

Even their predecessor Bowden talked of 'Champions League football within five years'

I shall spare Sheepshanks blushes (red faced as he would be) by not repeating the ludicrous guff he regularly spouted to the dim witted farm hands.

I have to say I enjoyed our ONE league 1 season (once the Colchester game was out of the way at least). However, we won most of our games with a half-decent squad.

Nuff said.

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I have to say I enjoyed our ONE league 1 season (once the Colchester game was out of the way at least). However, we won most of our games with a half-decent squad.

Nuff said.

Just now, Alfie54 said:

I suspect that Lambert was happier to be in that division then, than he’ll be next season!

6 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Wrong thread

Too much free beer RtB?

You could have edited it out to save re-posting, and perhaps replaced it by stating just how much you agree with the OP.😁

Edited by BroadstairsR