Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

How Low do they go?

Let's be honest, Ipswich really did not look great today despite the effort they put in (mainly to wild challenges and hoofs). I thought they would be in trouble the moment they got rid of McCarthy, who while he was not perfect, he was perfect at polishing a turd.

I hadn't suspected it would be this bad though, they are clear and away bottom of the league, no fluke either and no hope. None of their players look like they would have much resale value and I actually think they look worse than a lot of league 1 clubs.

Add to this they struggle to get 10k through the gates most weeks, Marcus Evans dwindling interest and its difficult to see where they will generate the future income to sustain a competitive squad. At least when we went down, we had 27k dedicated fans and a core of players that were ready to step up and make it right. We also didn't go down to league 1 quite as spectacular as they are currently doing. As Lambert himself said, we had a championship quality team that just needed their heads bashing together. I fear Ipswich don't have this though.

My question is, how far do you all think they will fall? Their only saving grace I can think of is that any remotely big English football team seems like Teflon in terms of staying in business. Some poor sap will see an opportunity and buy them you'd think.

Perhaps they have used this lifeline in the first place with Evans though and their race could genuinely be run. 2 or 3 years in league 1 and its hard to see how they would ever return to even regular 2nd tier levels without a miracle.

Don't get me wrong, this is in no way a sympathy post, I am thoroughly enjoying their downfall, especially with how salty and deluded their fans have been recently but it would be sad for the innocent everyday staff they have (receptionists, tea ladies etc) that would be the first to suffer when they go down.

I wonder if they'd get buried with that trophy they won 100 years or so ago that they keep reminding us about.

Was genuinely shocked at how bad they were, after all they haven't been getting smashed out of sight week in, week out and a handful of goals at the right time in theory could have seen them mid-table. But that just demonstrates how flawed stats can be. Plenty of people saying how hard they tried. Ok, a lot of huff and puff, but I’m struggling to recall much beyond cynical fouls and a couple of feeble shots and useless failure in promising positions. I've rarely felt more comfortable watching City who did much to make them look that poor but I think they might even drop straight through League 1.

Pretty sure that there is an unknown rule where by if you’ve won a trophy in the past and a season ticket holder is old enough to factually remember it, then that club is exempt from falling lower than league 1. I believe under those circumstances that, that clubs fans can also use it as a free hit in defence of any current criticism coming there way.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Unless there is a dramatic change in direction, which given Marcus Evan's stewardship of the club up to know would be akin to Dracula donating to a blood transfusion service, I can only see them wallowing mid to lower L1.

Currently (inc loanees) they have around 20 players out of contract in the summer. Their budget (TV money) will be cut by £7m (out of £16m) if they go down. That will be compounded by lower advertising rates, never mind lower gate/ST money.

I don't see any player there who would attract any decent fee so next years squad will have to be cobbled together a la Paul Jewell. A ragbag of aged cast offs and lower league hopefuls.

This is not a sudden drop like Sunderland, but merely another slip in nearly two decades of decline. A decline that is ongoing.

8 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

My question is, how far do you all think they will fall? Their only saving grace I can think of is that any remotely big English football team seems like Teflon in terms of staying in business. Some poor sap will see an opportunity and buy them you'd think.

Perhaps they have used this lifeline in the first place with Evans though and their race could genuinely be run. 2 or 3 years in league 1 and its hard to see how they would ever return to even regular 2nd tier levels without a miracle.

Looks like a Charlton problem to me. Too big a ground to support the fans who do come. Although you don't think that there are alternatives, strip away any remaining fans north of Newmarket, Bury or Stowmarket, and with very cheap tickets on sale at West Ham, a L1 scrap every week and looking up wishing you could be Luton doesn't sound too wonderful.

Edited by Surfer

Trouble with this thinking is that once they're in League 1 they could be an attractive option for an investor.  Let's face it,  there's no value in the Club as it stands. Pick it up on the cheap and put some money in,  a promotion wouldn't cost much but the support would shoot up. We all knows what can happen with a bit of momentum. I'm not saying it's going to happen, I hope it isn't but football is a funny old game. 

26 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Aren't they still hugely in debt though?

True, and Evans has always used the term "buy" when referring to any new owner and has even said that there is no line of rich Russians  or Arabs queuing up to take over the club suggesting that he will expect some sort of wedge, with add-ons should any future "investor" achieve success. 

A debt is always a debt, despite the way that the binners think that Mr.Tax-free haven is some sort of benefactor who has their club at heart (apparently he wasn't even there on Sunday.)

When we went down we maintained spectacular support, they won't and this is an added factor which decreases the club's attractiveness.

The future of ITFC is entirely in the hands of one man,who says little, invests little and doesn't really want that troublesome little club as a continuing burden on his business enterprise. 

Tax relief on a loss only mitigates against that at loss....there is still a loss.

Edited by BroadstairsR

There was a glimmer of hope for them on Sunday though. One positive from the match that they can take away.

At least this year their manager didn't come out onto the pitch again and shout at them to Fu(& off !

Mind you he was absent for the majority of the game.