kick it off

NFL Thread

On 19/08/2023 at 10:03, KiwiScot said:

Just picking up discussion with mates regards where to watch this seasons Superbowl and learned a streaming site called DAZN has bought global rights(exc USA/China) for the NFL from this season for 10 years. Including like gamepass and redzone. I'm unsure if it's the same American commentary etc, but I do know that Sky and Itv still have active deals until 2025(end of 24/25 I'd guess) so everything is the same until then.

Yeah, Dazn is the new home of gamepass basically. 

So, the Trey Lance era in San Francisco comes to an end. Its unfortunate and not really his fault but he's firmly in discussion for the biggest bust of all time. The Niners gave up a huge haul to go up and get him and only got a 4th km return from Dallas.

If Purdy turns out to be as good as he briefly looked then the blow is largely softened.

On 26/08/2023 at 10:55, king canary said:

So, the Trey Lance era in San Francisco comes to an end. Its unfortunate and not really his fault but he's firmly in discussion for the biggest bust of all time. The Niners gave up a huge haul to go up and get him and only got a 4th km return from Dallas.

If Purdy turns out to be as good as he briefly looked then the blow is largely softened.

But Bosa is still a holdout at the moment. They still remain hopeful of a deal but his name doesn't appear on the 53 man roster.

Apart from that, its largely a side that has been together for two seasons now. Still hopeful of at least a post season.

Great start for the Niners. The news that Bosa had signed a contract extension must have lifted spirits and watching the recording today I must say all looks good so far.

Aiyuk looks on top form and his blocking is underrated compared to his receptions. Purdy is far more mobile than any recent QBs and with McCaffrey in his second season lets hope the 53 can justify their tag as the most expensice roster in the NFL.

Rodgers off injured with a suspected torn achilles very early in the buffalo v jets game. Jets win in overtime with a punt return.

Interesting week one in the books.

The NFC looks quite stacked all of a sudden- Eagles struggled but got the win and should improve as the new coordinators get time, The 9ers looked fantastic all round and Purdy is just spectacularly efficient. Won't wow you with crazy throws but doesn't turn the ball over and finds the endzone. Cowboys pitch a shutout and put up 40.

AFC much more murky. All 3 of the big favourites lose week one (Chiefs, Bill, Bengals) and the Jets lose Rodgers. A chance for the explosive Dolphins or the defensively sound Browns to step up?

Haven't seen the highlights yet but another good win for the Niners. McCaffrey and Samuel with 100 yard games and a quarterback sneak shows the mix seems to be about right.

22 minutes ago, Indy said:

Go Fins! 726 yards total with 70 points on the board! Wow!

Clearly whoever you support you want to be playing the Broncos

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KiwiScot said:

Clearly whoever you support you want to be playing the Broncos

Could be someone made a lot of money on a 50 point spread! 

4 TDs for McCaffrey as he has 190 yards rushing and receiving. Niners looking strong on offense with Aiyuk having anothr 100 yard receiving game.

18 hours ago, kick it off said:

Hell of a game last night @king canary !

Such a strange game. Exciting but not in the way Eagles fans would have wanted.

Big positive to see Hurts finding his rhythm and the passing game improving, especially to AJ and Devonta. Concerned that injuries and talent gaps are showing in the back 7- it was crazy how easy that last drive for the Commanders was. 

As a Washington fan I'd be pleasantly surprised to see how Howell bounced back from his 4 interception game but fuming at Riverboat Ron's refusal to go for 2 at the end against a gassed philly defence.

Yeah it was a strange decision. He said our offence was gassed, but as you say, surely so was Philly's D.

Oh well, hopefully get wins in the next 3 before we get another shot at the Eagles.

Well that the unbeaten run out of the way and they can stop talking about Miami.

Normally a 41 yard field goal is a walk in the park for Moody but he pushed it right. Samuel injured again doesn't help.

Weird weekend.

Both unbeaten teams fall in remarkably similar circumstances- against teams with backup QB's where they were heavily favoured.

Wasn't delighted to be up past midnight watching us fail to beat the Jets while seeing player after player limp off injured. Hope Lane Johnson isn't out for long as that could be a killer blow.

Also pretty frustrating as we now hit a tough part of the schedule- games against Washington, Dalls (x2), KC, Bills and Dolphins. Come out of that 3-3 and we'll be feeling pretty good.

Fantastic weekend for the Eagles.

Beat the Dolphins while keeping the best offence in the league to 10 points.

Watch the 9ers lose to the Vikings to give us sole control of the NFC.

Trade for Kevin Byard to improve our injury plagued secondary.

Dolphins looking good except for when a decent defense turns up. I'd like to think we can maybe win some play off games, but need to toast some big fish.

13 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Dolphins looking good except for when a decent defense turns up. I'd like to think we can maybe win some play off games, but need to toast some big fish.

Yes this was a big game for both teams as at 5-1 the question was 'have you beaten any good teams yet.' Eagles had wins over Commanders, Bucs, Vikings, Rams and Pats. Miami had beaten a similarly not that great slate of teams but lost to Buffalo.

Miami though has a remarkably weak schedule this year until their final 3 games. The next 7 weeks is Pats, Chiefs, Raiders, Jets, Commanders, Titans, Jets. Only KC have a record over .500 from that list. You'd expect Miami to be maybe 10-4 or 11-3 after that with playoffs pretty much certain- then it'll be interesting to see if they can finish strong against Cowboys, Ravens and Bills.

Cannot believe how poor the Niner's defence was against the Benglas. Its OK for the commentators to rave on about a fit Burrow but their offence had the Niners in their pocket. And the offence just couln't get enough first downs to make progress and keep Burrow off the field. Three in a row is worrying because they haven't played the best teams in that period.

19 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Cannot believe how poor the Niner's defence was against the Benglas. Its OK for the commentators to rave on about a fit Burrow but their offence had the Niners in their pocket. And the offence just couln't get enough first downs to make progress and keep Burrow off the field. Three in a row is worrying because they haven't played the best teams in that period.

Biggest surprise for me watching that game was how the 9ers were getting gashed by Joe Mixon, who is hardly an elite runner- him averaging 5.4 YPC having averaged 3.2 in the last two games was a big surprise to me. 

Well @kick it off it seems like the Commanders are going full tank mode on the trade deadline after that loss.

Young and Sweat both traded, I'm assuming that won't have been Riverboat Ron's choice so he's surely out at the end of the year. I do wonder if the next 10 games are Bienemys HC audition.

22 hours ago, king canary said:

Well @kick it off it seems like the Commanders are going full tank mode on the trade deadline after that loss.

Young and Sweat both traded, I'm assuming that won't have been Riverboat Ron's choice so he's surely out at the end of the year. I do wonder if the next 10 games are Bienemys HC audition.

Yeah, needed to happen to be fair, we need a total rebuild. I think Howell can be the guy at QB but our OL is horrific. We've played both of our best games against the Eagles, aside from that we have stunk this season. Time for Ron to go and for a new Front Office to be put in place. Not sure Bienemy is the answer to be honest though, he's had a really up and down season.

Edited by kick it off

Watched the Niners last night and pleased with the return to form of the defence. Bosa really on top form. Shame they couldn't get McCaffrey to the record. I think even the Jags were trying to help him by not kicking on 4th down.

Big one soon against the Eagles. AFC North a good division this year as well.