Sign in to follow this  
Fiery Zac

VAR doesn’t work

Some farcical decisions in this game, for both sides. No consistency, same old debates.

What’s the point of it?

It’s a joke. How they have missed or not given the Kane one is beyond me. I think var in theory should work but they are making a balls up of it.

Which ones? 
The Kane penalty was a definite, but the one for Tunisia was clear as day too.
So aside from the not given Kane pen, what do you think they''ve got wrong?

The Tunisia one was not ‘clear as day’ which is why there was a debate about it. VAR encourages the player to fall over as technically Walker has caught him but it was never a foul and the fact it was given and your comment about it is a sad indictment of football these days.

I now watch football hoping for a small piece of actual footballing play yet inevitably end up watching grown men try and con the referee (and now VAR) and get as many stoppages as possible in 90mins.

king canary wrote the following post at 18/06/2018 8:00 PM:

Worked really well for the Sweden game.

That particular decision was ridiculous. The red shouldn’t have needed the var it was that clear but yes it sorted it in the end. I can’t see how they, having viewed the Kane incident haven’t given it. Unless they haven’t viewed from all angles. Either way it hasn’t worked in this game

Plus the fact you say the Kane one was ‘clear as day’ says it all.....They’re using VIDEO REPLAYS TO MAKE A DECISION, and still get it wrong!

VAR doesn’t work

If the Tunisia pen was indeed a pen then Costa shouldn’t have scored for Spain as he fouled Pepe in the build up.

No consitency. VAR doesn’t work

[quote user="Fiery Zac"]The Tunisia one was not ‘clear as day’ which is why there was a debate about it. VAR encourages the player to fall over as technically Walker has caught him but it was never a foul and the fact it was given and your comment about it is a sad indictment of football these days.

I now watch football hoping for a small piece of actual footballing play yet inevitably end up watching grown men try and con the referee (and now VAR) and get as many stoppages as possible in 90mins.[/quote]
England tinted spectacles there.
It was only debated by the English biased pundits. It was a penalty and pretty much every football fan in the world would say so. If it was at the other end you''d be saying it was stonewall.
He swung his arm, in the direction of the player at head height, in order to block him off. The only debate about it comes with a lack of objectivity.
Kane should''ve had a second though too to be fair.

[quote user="Fiery Zac"]If the Tunisia pen was indeed a pen then Costa shouldn’t have scored for Spain as he fouled Pepe in the build up.

No consitency. VAR doesn’t work[/quote]
There was minimal contact in the Pepe one, and Pepe went down like he''d been shot.
Walker literally elbowed him in the head trying to block him off.
You sound ridiculous.

Therefore Costa’s shouldn’t have stood, proving VAR isn’t consistent and therefore doesn’t work?

And it wasn’t a pen.

The Tunisia player went down exactly the same as Pepe and then got back up equally as energetically. Both cheats, Tunisia got away with it, Pepe (quite rightly) didn’t.

[quote user="Fiery Zac"]The Tunisia player went down exactly the same as Pepe and then got back up equally as energetically. Both cheats, Tunisia got away with it, Pepe (quite rightly) didn’t.[/quote]
There was pretty much no contact on Pepe, there was an elbow to face of the Tunisian player. Again, you sound ridiculous. They''re not comparable incidents. Yes the Tunisian went down easily, but Walker swung his arm at his head and made very clear, decent contact. Costa and Pepe was 50-50 and Pepe went down trying to con the ref.
I don''t know why you''re still arguing the toss on this one. 
Your point stands, VAR isn''t working in this game re: the Kane incidents, but the Tunisia penalty absolutely was.

England same old same old.

You''ll get used to it after fifty years.

Always make it hard work

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Fiery Zac"]The Tunisia player went down exactly the same as Pepe and then got back up equally as energetically. Both cheats, Tunisia got away with it, Pepe (quite rightly) didn’t.[/quote]
There was pretty much no contact on Pepe, there was an elbow to face of the Tunisian player. Again, you sound ridiculous. They''re not comparable incidents. Yes the Tunisian went down easily, but Walker swung his arm at his head and made very clear, decent contact. Costa and Pepe was 50-50 and Pepe went down trying to con the ref.
I don''t know why you''re still arguing the toss on this one. 
Your point stands, VAR isn''t working in this game re: the Kane incidents, but the Tunisia penalty absolutely was.
[/quote]

....In your opinion. I’ve got mine and it’s not ridiculous except, again, in your opinion.

[quote user="Fiery Zac"]....In your opinion. I’ve got mine and it’s not ridiculous except, again, in your opinion.[/quote] and everybody else with eyes that aren''t blocked by St George glasses.

The whole point of var was to get the big decisions right every time. To eliminate refereeing mistakes and aid the ref. It isn’t getting the big decisions right anywhere near every time and therefore isn’t working

Also you really need to watch the Pepe incident again. You almost got me, I had to check, but Costa most definitely elbows Pepe in the face (the chin is the face) therefore it’s as much a foul (or not) as the Tunisia one.

I was surprised that Costa goal was allowed to stand with the new technology but am glad it was. Great goal

[quote user="ricardo"]England same old same old.

Always make it hard work[/quote]
I''ve just turned 40 and haven''t watched an England match in a World Cup or European Championships since the final whistle blew against Portugal in 2006 (didn''t stay for the penalties). I must be smarter than most as it only took me 28 years to figure it out. [;)]

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]
[quote user="ricardo"]England same old same old.

Always make it hard work[/quote]
I''ve just turned 40 and haven''t watched an England match in a World Cup or European Championships since the final whistle blew against Portugal in 2006 (didn''t stay for the penalties). I must be smarter than most as it only took me 28 years to figure it out. [;)]
[/quote]
And just to prove my point, Kane scored as I wasn''t watching. [:)]

Justice for Kane after the ridiculous var penalty decisions against him

[quote user="Fiery Zac"]Also you really need to watch the Pepe incident again. You almost got me, I had to check, but Costa most definitely elbows Pepe in the face (the chin is the face) therefore it’s as much a foul (or not) as the Tunisia one.[/quote]
Pepe and Costa were both going for the ball. Walker was deliberately blocking him off. I see the similarity a bit more having watched it again, but it''s still a 50-50 with both contesting the ball in the air and colliding, whereas Walker is blocking off the run making no effort at all to play the ball. Still a pen, and still not comparable to costa/pepe.

[quote user="Fiery Zac"][quote user="kick it off"] but the Tunisia penalty absolutely was.[/quote]

....In your opinion. I’ve got mine and it’s not ridiculous except, again, in your opinion.[/quote]
In Rio Ferdinand''s opinion too.

VAR is only as good as the people using it. The whole officiating group had a shocker tonight and the referee had no control over the Tunisian gamesmanship, as shown clearly by the inability to get a Tunisian defender to back away 10 yards.

You would think some folk on here, seem slightly annoyed England won.......Maybe their ''political persuasion'' may have something to do with it?.....

Me, I''m so pleased that we won and penalty box WWF Kendo Nagasaki defending and myopic refereeing didn''t.......Just gonna kiss my Cross o'' St George England flag that''s blowing proudly outside in the warm breeze.....Oh and Emily ''Lady Nugee'' Thornberry can just go and kiss my goal......and wow, not a white van in sight.....C''mon England!

So in summery referees are human and make mistakes. and referees watching tv screens are also making mistakes. Therefore VAR doesn’t work and is creating a side show that is spoiling the enjoyment of the game. Goal line technology works superbly, this doesn’t