Sign in to follow this  
andyc24_uk

Who/what reinforcements do we still need?

Some solid performances on the pre-season tour so far, all of the new signings making good first impressions - but still clearly a lot to be worked on. What do we need to add to or change about the squad before the kickoff, do people reckon?

For me, we need to sort out the goalkeeper situation once and for all. Get rid of McGovern - he''s nowhere near good enough and adds nothing to the squad at this point - give him a free transfer. Oxborough is certainly no worse and would fill one of the ''home grown'' quota slots sitting on the bench. Matthews needs either 100% backing to boost his confidence or told right away that he''s the reserve this season and he needs to deal with it and someone else needs bringing in ASAP.

Also I''m still a little worried about the defensive situation - I know we have Hanley to come back which will make a huge difference but it looks like Raggett isn''t up to the job and will be sent out on loan; To my mind this is where we could do with getting some loan cover in - a young Premiership talent would fit the bill here ideally.

Ahead of that, I''m not too worried... we have the players and the backup now in most of the other positions; If we can get a winger or wide-ranging forward in from somewhere then that would be a great bonus but not essential IMHO.

Unfortunately I think the whole squad are all of a similar level....and that is one of a middling table championship team. From that point of view, I''m not sure much else needs/ can be done with the budget we have to maintain that level....goalkeeper aside.

If we had any designs on being a promotion candidate we''d need probably 6 genuine improvements on our 1st XI to put us in that position. Sadly that ships sailed now with the gradual dismantling and decline of our squad over the last 3 years or so and our financial state

I’m building up my pre season hope! I think if Rhodes, Hernandez and Pukki can hit form that could be an impressive front line.

Goalkeeper is my main concern as well. Would love Matthews to step up but pre season games aren’t installing confidence.

A domestic based 1st choice keeper and an exciting loanee from the prem to challenge one of the forward roles. Someone like Woodburn who can play through the middle or out wide.

Keepers seem expensive this window though. We have been linked with Gunn and Ward on loan at points and they have both moved for over £10m each.

Pretty much no point trying to pluck a promising keeper from league 1 or 2 as we have 2 of them already.

The problem with looking abroad in Germany (unless we got Ron Robert Zieler) is that it''s another foreign spot gone in the squad. Our best hope is that Matthews grows into the role. If not, maybe John Ruddy will be sick of playing 2nd fiddle for Wolves 😉

100 % spot on, agree with every word, mid table squad now at best, just hope we get the odd positive performance opposed to the majority of dire possession without impact performances of last season.

Yes also (unfortunately) agree with GJL as well.

Plenty of decent players in the squad who are mid table championship players (or who could provide decent back up/rotation at a top six club) but nobody who is better than that.

Our signings have added depth but no extra quality. If anything, with Maddison gone, we still have less quality than we had last year.

To improve we’ll need to spend big(ger). The one signing which could make an impact is a striker who will score 20 goals or an attacking midfielder who can put 20 on a plate for someone else and chip in with five or ten themselves. But can we/will we pay for that?

I presume you mean Daniel Bentley.

Good shout, though he will probs cost too much and is probably waiting for a prem team to take a punt.

Honestly think we are gonna have to wait for Idah or someone to sprout from the youth team and explode onto the scene before we can think about promotion. Until then, it''ll be a competitive but mid table side on a mid table budget before we can really go again