Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Bolton match thread

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Certainly the last who could toe punt over the bar from his own half

Bill Lewis was a bit of a mule as well apparently.

Saw him playing on Earlham Park for Southrepps in the Norwich and District League in the late 50''s.[/quote]Proper football in them days KG.[:D]Bill could slide tackle you straight into the enclosure.[Y]

I''ve never heard anything negative about Bill Lewis.

A former player told me he loved coming up against Charlie Billington in first team v reserves games. He said he just had to push the ball through Charlie''s legs and run. This fitted with what Arrdee told me that by the time he heard Charlie''s boots clang together the forward was long gone....

[quote user="hogesar"]Not too much wrong with the performance. Missed some guilt edge chances. Thought Jerome struggled to hold the ball up let alone anything else.[/quote] Have to disagree there Hoggy; the performance was seriously flawed because the key to our recent good away run got forgotten in the heady period of almost complete domination terminated by Bolton''s first goal. As DF said afterwards, if you are finding goals hard to come by, it''s essential first and foremost to make sure you don''t concede any. I thought we''d finally learned the lesson that it''s no good intoxicating yourselves and the fans with slick and quick front-foot football and forgetting that keeping the door shut is the absolute priority.

The problem was Westcoast, the first half hour set the tone. Unlike our other away games Bolton were nervy, happy to sit back at home and uncomfortable on the ball. The players would have been stupid not to take advantage of that and obviously thats when our best chances came up.

Theres an argument to say when Bolton started to come back with something we should have adjusted as a team and reverted to sitting back but I can understand why we thought the game was there for the taking.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]In other news Montrose went on to win 3-1

To be fair, it was at Cowdenbeath, even a tricorn hat has more points.[/quote]Clyde drew to increase the gap above The Blue Brazil to 4 points. Knife edge tension at the bottom of the Scottish league

[quote user="hogesar"]The problem was Westcoast, the first half hour set the tone. Unlike our other away games Bolton were nervy, happy to sit back at home and uncomfortable on the ball. The players would have been stupid not to take advantage of that and obviously thats when our best chances came up.

Theres an argument to say when Bolton started to come back with something we should have adjusted as a team and reverted to sitting back but I can understand why we thought the game was there for the taking.[/quote] But that is exactly my point, how many games have we lost against inferior teams through believing "the game was there for the taking"? The only team that end up "taken" is us. No game is "there for the taking" if believing it leads to neglecting to maintain defensive integrity at all times. I am never comfortable when Maddison and Hoolahan play together, whatever intricate passing patterns they conjure; I would have played Vrancic [:P]