Sign in to follow this  
Lessingham Canary

AFC Wimbledon, what a story.....

Wimbledon make it to Div one in just 14 years (in that time our neighbours have never been out of the championship) , now they are in the same league as MK Dons, who you could say tried to steal their identity, winners over Plymouth at Wembley and that man Akinfenwa on the score sheet, a story they could make a hollywood movie on, bigger (or at least equal to) than the Vardy story ! Well done the Don''s.

[quote user="Daz Sparks"]It shows that fans make clubs what they are, not the other way around[/quote]

And yet, ironically enough, they don''t actually play their home games in Wimbledon. They should really be called AFC Kingston.

As they are pretty-much my most local side, I go to see AFC a few times each season (and Kingstonian, who they share with) and went today with my boys....it certainly brought back happy memories of a year ago!! Plymouth took c33k and AFC c22k, giving 57k for the L2 playoff final (quite a lot more than L1 final yesterday) and it was a great atmosphere.

To be fair, sg, they have been desperate to return to Merton since they ''formed'' and have had plans approved fairly recently, but they were then called for review by Boris when he was mayor; hopefully Mr Khan will let it go through and they can return to Plough Lane (albeit further down than before) in c2018. Oddly, though, that success does have a knock-on to Kingstonian who had financial problems so AFC took over the lease of the ground, and when they sell and move Ks are likely to be homeless.

Yep, well done the Wombles! And now The Beast, after scoring the winning goal, is unemployed! Footballs a cruel game.

That post match interview on the field with Akinfenwa was class! What a character, and just the personality a club needs. Even grabbed his manager, put his arm round him and was smiling when he said "and you''ve released me!"

Sign him up as super sub!

To ensure that the credit will always be there for him I think that ''Akinfenwa'' should be a official shirt size replacing 5XL.