Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

There for the taking....

Even playing Howson and Vadis out of position, we could have held Stoke.

And then..

But even with only ten men we clawed our way back, only for slightly strange substitutions to upset ourselves - Jarvis first game for how many weeks, and the lacklustre Redmond.

Finally Bennett, but I have not seen the match, so I don''t know how it happened.

I had hoped that we had put the self-destruct goals conceded behind us, but they are here again.

I felt Jarvis and Redmond did well and we could easily have got another goal after they came on, both Wes and Vadis were looking understandably knackered.

The OG is just one of those things - trying to get a defensive header under pressure from a long lofted free kick, sometimes you can''t control where it goes.  Nothing like the stupid mistakes we were making a month or two back.

Jarvis was ok but Redmond?He did nothing apart from a snatched shot that went well wide. For the rest of the time he was on he was nondescript at best

Stoke were poor 1st half, and the scoreline flatters them. Before O''Neil went mad and bad I thought we were edging a very tight game but it''s one of those things. The performance was there though and on another night we could have come away with at least a point. These things happen though and O''Neil has 3 weeks on the naughty step which means hopefully we''ll either get to see more of what Vadis and Mulumbu can offer us

It''s a shame that O''Neil''s previously calm demeanour won''t be available for the home games against Liverpool & Spurs - I think that would have been helpful for what look like difficult games.
In passing, I was surprised how many fans applauded O''Neil as he left the field last night - why?

Wooster

I think it was because most felt it was a stupid rash challenge, that was not needed, but warranted a yellow, and the reaction of Shawcross and Walters helped the referee make his decision.

Personally think it would have been worse if our support had boo''d him off, I haven''t see a replay of it yet, and agrtee he should never have done it, we had one of the photographers came and sat in the stand at half time, and had some great pictures on his laptop, showing O''Neil getting something on the ball (not enough) but also Shawcross who started 25 yards away, react in a way that is typical of him.

I''m sure Alex Neil will give him a clear indication of his disappointment (he probably had the best view in the whole stadium) and it will take some going for O''Neil to get his place back, bit would have sent the wrong vibes to the team had the fans reacted in any other way, IMO.

Funnily enough my first reaction was a yellow rather than a red but the Stoke bench & fans influenced the referee obviously.
I didn''t mean to suggest O''Neil should have been pilloried, merely he didn''t warrant applause. 

[quote user="woostercanary"]Funnily enough my first reaction was a yellow rather than a red but the Stoke bench & fans influenced the referee obviously.
I didn''t mean to suggest O''Neil should have been pilloried, merely he didn''t warrant applause. 
[/quote]

Must say hard one to call but the thing that makes these things harder is the inconsistency of refereeing. Yes a stupid challenge yes a red card by the letter of the law ( if you appealed, appeal would be thrown out ) but cast your mind back to the Villa game. Plenty of yellow cards for the same offence but no straight reds.

Likewise our other red this year ( Whittaker 2 yellows ) would the likes of Rooney have been given 2 yellows ?

Refs just need to be more consistent then these things would be far more black and white.

The rookey ref in the Swansea v Sunderland should never have been given another PL game after he reffed us the other week. Assume Naughton will appeal but it does not bring the points back

That was only the second red card in O''Neil''s entire career (439 first team appearances), which makes it even more incomprehensible. His only other red card was in the QPR/Derby Championship play-off final when he deliberately took down Derby''s Russell with a "last defender" tackle. People hurling brickbats of various kinds should pay more attention to that record. O''Neil is an open and honest guy and in due course may shed some light himself on what was in his mind.