Sign in to follow this  
Lessingham Canary

Video Defence of Ruddy

[quote user="Google Bot"]Wow! Parma and Yankee, you''ve actually ''played'' the beautiful game then? Far too rough for me, so I can only go by what i saw on tv and you''re both infact right - if he just pulled his arm out he would''ve saved it, don''t know how i missed that! Also, looking through other games there is in fact a lot of pulling about going on - what an eye opener!! How long has this been going on?!!!!

Makes you wonder what''s going on if a professional, near-international, keeper doesn''t know this yet you two sat on the pinkun do - Either of you considered a place within the backroom staff?

Big question is, why do people cheat the game at all if it''s that simple to avoid? This really is a quandary, a right can of worms has been opened. But most importantly it''s good of you both to raise the issue that it''s the person who has been cheated who is the criminal, as they should''ve known better.

Right, enough of this - i''m off to go up the city and tug on people''s arms as they cross the road and then laugh at their stupidity if they get caught by a stray wing mirror, you''re welcome to yell ''Dur'' at them as they get to their feet. :-/[/quote]

You''re looking at this in completely the wrong way. It''s not a question of morality - who''s the ''criminal'' & who isn''t - it''s a fact of life that some players will cheat & foul & you have to be able to overcome it (as far as humanly possible) or you won''t get far in the professional game. It''s one of the many ways in which football reflects life.

So the issue is whether John Ruddy should have been able to cope with the foul committed. I think he should. That is all.

Perhaps of more concern is the build up to the foul. Ruddy looks indecisive, distracted, almost stationary, instead of bouncing around on his toes, unsettling defenders, dominating his area & looking for a chance to come & claim the ball. I would suspect this is why the Derby player chanced his arm (literally).

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

[quote user="ron obvious"]

You''re looking at this in completely the wrong way. It''s not a question of morality - who''s the ''criminal'' & who isn''t - it''s a fact of life that some players will cheat & foul & you have to be able to overcome it (as far as humanly possible) or you won''t get far in the professional game.

[/quote]

The fact that Ruddy IS far in to the professional game yet is being labelled as someone who can''t manage these tasks suggests somewhat differently, does it not?

I''ve trained at clubs that taught how to grab another mans nuts during set pieces, so it''s not really a new concept to me, i was being incredibly sarcastic - I just want to make sure you got the jist of my post.

But to further quantify my personal stance - anyone who has played the game knows that you do well to pull a keeper like that and get away with it at this level, especially with very little crowding around the keeper. This was just an unfortunate event (Opposition got very lucky) that Ruddy will learn from, he made no ''mistake'' per se, he was unfairly impeded.

What he could or couldn''t have done isn''t even up for discussion for me, however, he most certainly did not make a howler as it first appeared, and i acknowledge that, so that''s how i''m ''looking'' at it, incorrectly or not.

And for the record i don''t actually rate Ruddy that highly as a keeper, especially in commanding his area, however that is not the debate here, this thread was purely relating to the video clearly showing he was unfairly impeded. Which he was, for me, case closed.

There is also the risk of Ruddy conceding a penalty himself by taking evasive action. I hope the refs take a look at the video footage, ain''t going to help us directly but may affect the cheating Derby scum in future decisions.

Would a 4th official have had access to the behind the goal view which shows the extent of the foul? If he only had the FLS cameras he would be as much in the dark as the BBC match commentator who was shouting the innocence of the Derby player.

[quote user="danielsroundabout"]Would a 4th official have had access to the behind the goal view which shows the extent of the foul? If he only had the FLS cameras he would be as much in the dark as the BBC match commentator who was shouting the innocence of the Derby player.[/quote]

Perhaps you''re right, it was a very subtle faul.

I showed the FLS highlights and the goalcam footage to my footbal (team)mates here, who think it had been conscious act by Derby, i.e it was no coincidence that Hanson curled the ball towards the goal.

Listen to Alex Neil''s post-match analysis of the Huddersfield game on iplayer.

That is the kind of no-excuses required, play-the-ball-as-it-lies, professional attitude that all of our players need to have.

Everything else is irrelevant.

Parma

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]Listen to Alex Neil''s post-match analysis of the Huddersfield game on iplayer. That is the kind of no-excuses required, play-the-ball-as-it-lies, professional attitude that all of our players need to have. Everything else is irrelevant. Parma[/quote]

Amen, squared!!

From the point of our season it''s water under the bridge, yet it reamains a peculiar case of foul play - a bit like Maradona''s handball. If it was a conscious combination (as I think it was) it''s a new one as I can''t remember seeing such a goal before.