Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Not sure what to think!

The embarrassing thing is it''s not the fact that we''ve gone for a "relative unknown" manager it''s that we haven''t gone for YOUR "relative unknown manager. The one you saw once on late night Eurosport or ITV 4 on a Sunday night when you got home on your fixie bike from the farmers market to buy some organic hemp underwear.

Some just wanted a fancy foreign name trying to make a name for himself in England. You aren''t interested if he''ll do a good job or not your just in full anorak mode it''s so embarrassing! Like I said on my other thread McNally has totally "out-hipstered" you and you are furious about it.

I think you''ve got some strange fetish for trying to use the word ''hipster'' in the majority of your responses.Just because you clearly know f**k all about football if it''s not in the UK, doesn''t mean that the rest of us don''t actually pay attention to other leagues and the players who look good in them, along with the managers who perform at those clubs etc.If you actually think that names like Guidolin, Bento and Rijkaard are ''unknowns'' then you''ve already shown up your embarrasing lack of knowledge on the subject and you should clearly stick to something less complicated, like counting to ten on your fingers...

[quote user="Indy"]..

But that said I have major doubts but can''t bash the club if this appointment is made.[/quote]In fairness, Indy there will be those who bash the club whatever. Even if Mc N appointed Pep Guardiola there''d be those who disagree......too expensive, never managed in England, plays to much tiki taka stuff...etc etc. The nature of this is that we have, currently a deeply divided fan base.I too will have some reservations at appointing a 33 year old with minimal experience, and none in the championship, but as with Adams, if this comes to pass, I''m prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, if for no other reason, that we have very little choice but to do so.The one surefire way of the new manager, whoever he is, reunting the divided fanbase I spoke of earlier is quite simple. To start winning football matches consistently and get into the playoffs as a minimum requirement.

Shove it up your ar5e mate not my fault you are a sadact. But you are a classic football hipster and it''s hilarious to see. Your suggestions are all s4ite my friend none are any more guaranteed to supply us with what we need that Neil. Bet you were touting ole Gunnar solskjaer as well.

You can lecture me on football when you explain to me why you wanted Michael Owen on a pay as you play deal.

Those apples, how''d you like em.

I see Buh finally gets the bite he was looking for.[|-)]

I assume that Alex Neil had been scouted and tapped up way before last weekend. This has all the markings of a well planned coup with Phelan being the first move to provide the gravitas and Neil the fresh start.

True, Shaun on Canary Call had a point but it whithers next to the fact that Phelan is in the dugout.

It matters not who is appointed.If he fails people have an easy excuse to bash McNally and the Board. The last line of all these posts will read "I told you so".If he succeeeds then McNally will be hailed a genius.The only certainty is that somewhere down the line, be that 3 months or 3 years, he will either be moving on up to greater things or be cast into the dustbin of history.It was ever so.

What a great thread this is, its had me swinging between crazy appointment and inspired appointment several times.

Regardless of who is appointed I will support them and only start to get critical when it is obvious they are messing up.

With Neil Adams, from the start I didnt want him at the helm, even for those few games in the EPL, but I still did my best to support him or, not criticise him until I just couldnt hold it any longer.

It''s different with the new Neil, in that I find it impossible to really judge what he has done to date as I havnt a clue about him or really the game in Scotland.

That said, its such a curved ball appointment, that I am convinced some serious home work has been done and probably also some serious opinion taken before they approached him......this was not some quick decision.

I kind of see what you are saying Mark. In a way, Adams was the lazy, easy option. The ''know what you are going to get'' appointment that could just have been a success, but most likely a failure.On the other hand, we can only assume that a lot of work has gone into identifying Neil, so this is much more of a difficult option. ''Not sure exactly what you are going to get'', despite all the research,which indeed could be a dud, but far more likely to be a success than Adams ever was.The fact that the board has been forced into such a leftfield appointment as this speaks volumes about just how little thought went into the Adams appointment . That they need to go out on a limb like this is a damning indictment of their performance over the last 2 years, but credit has to be given for finally seeing that just sitting on their hands and taking the easy option is no way to run a football club. Lets all hope it works out for them ?

[quote user="Buh"]Shove it up your ar5e mate not my fault you are a sadact. But you are a classic football hipster and it''s hilarious to see.[/quote]There''s that hipster word again, boy are you getting some mileage out of that one![quote]Your suggestions are all s4ite my friend none are any more guaranteed to supply us with what we need that Neil. Bet you were touting ole Gunnar solskjaer as well.[/quote]There are no guarantees in football, but I''d rather take my chances with a guy who took a bang average Udinese side to consecutive 3rd and 4th places in Serie A, than I would some complete nobody whose main claim to fame is that they beat Celtic a couple of times...And at no point have I mentioned Soljskaer, nor would I either...[quote]You can lecture me on football when you explain to me why you wanted Michael Owen on a pay as you play deal.[/quote]Already been explained previously on at least 2-3 threads (go look them up if you''re that interested), but as a quick summary, what wasn''t to like about the idea of one of England''s best strikers of the past 20 years coming to the club on a deal which meant we''d only really pay out when he played/performed, and in the meantime he''d be helping our strikers develop their game (particularly our younger players) as well as being a good influence and respected player overall in the dressing room?It was a complete no-lose situation, and if it had been that bad an idea, Stoke wouldn''t have made him an offer either - but they did.What''s more, he could hardly have scored much less than the woeful "I really am better than the MLS, honest" Kei Kamara, the "Needs 7-10 chances to score 1" Simeon Jackson, or "How the f**k do I get off this bench" Becchio could he![quote]Those apples, how''d you like em.[/quote]Not really an apple fan, more of a pineapple/melon eater myself.How''s that counting to 10 coming on by the way? Managed to get past 2 yet???

What makes you think any of your no mark euro managers will be able to translate what they''ve done to British football? I may not be the football anorak hipster like yourself watching VHS tapes of football italia from 1995 but I do know serie A is basically how many times can you fall over.

Your breathtakingly stupid theory about Michael Owen has great parallels with these managers you tout. You can call me under-ambitious if you want but we aren''t going to get the managers you pull out of the championship manager 2012 for windows hat you always have handy.

You sound like the England fan that''s like "we need to play like Spain!!! No no wait don''t play like Spain play like Germany!!! No wait..."

Reactive.

Hope Neil shows you up and personally teabags you for slagging him off because he''s not Spanish.

The appointment of Neil is nothing more than a panic move. The idea that all managerial appointments are a gamble is ridiculous, a fallacy based on the idea that they''re all equally able, equally experienced and with near identical track records. It''s the sort of little old Norwich excuse fans cling to after the latest disaster to keep them from accepting a nightmare reality.We''re not in League One (yet) and don''t need to make such a reckless gamble. Good gamblers hedge their bets and are especially less inclined to take unnecessary risks after a loss. Poor gamblers making increasingly risky bets in an attempt to quickly recoup their losses. Good gamblers try to limit losses, poor ones leave themselves open to getting wiped out.What we''ve seen are a series of risky bets made by the board. Betting on Hughton from the start of the second season to almost the end. The appointment of Adams with five games remaining. His permanent appointment in the summer. And now, despite not totally having our backs against the wall, we are staking half our money on black by appointing another inexperienced rookie.If this desperate, manic gamble doesn''t come off then we''ll ruin our chances of promotion for years to come and risk yet another relegation. A sensible, measured and far less risky bet on someone like Rosler would have given us a fighting chance of going up within the next 2-3 years, and not risked being a total disaster if it didn''t work out.McNally is using our club to gamble on saving his reputation and career. A board of directors containing football-savvy individuals would block this daft appointment and get rid of the man trying to push it through. Sadly we have a board staffed with people who are clueless about the game.

I''ve just had a read of the Accies Forum and it seems, without exception, they are very sad to see him go. Reading between the lines it also appears that he likes an aggressive attacking game which most NCFC fans are clamouring for. It''s a big step up for him but not a lot different from Lamberts progress up through the lower ranks and it sounds like he is the type of character that isn''t frightened to take on the responsibility.Every appointment is a gamble but I think it''s one worth taking and far better than one of the old, tired brigade of Warnock etc etc. Who knows?, McNally has pulled a rabbit out of the hat before, perhaps he can do it again.Come on down Alex and show us what you''ve got.

People were saying similar when Adams was appointed. I wouldn''t be in favour of Warnock, but I''d feel we had more of a chance with someone like him who has a good promotion record than with someone who''s only had a season or so with a tiny scottish club.As Adams found out, gung ho looks good on paper in the Championship but in the real world can go pear shaped very easily. People were saying it was reckless just weeks ago but have now seemingly changed their minds again. What works north of the border might not work against the better defences in England.

[quote user="estrada rumtotal"]People were saying similar when Adams was appointed. I wouldn''t be in favour of Warnock, but I''d feel we had more of a chance with someone like him who has a good promotion record than with someone who''s only had a season or so with a tiny scottish club.As Adams found out, gung ho looks good on paper in the Championship but in the real world can go pear shaped very easily. People were saying it was reckless just weeks ago but have now seemingly changed their minds again. What works north of the border might not work against the better defences in England.[/quote]Looks like the decision has been made. Right or wrong its what is going to happen.Suck it up or do something else on a Saturday.

A comparison with Lambert is being made. Another one occurs to me, which is with Billy Davies. He had an ordinary playing career in England and Scotland. He took over as player-coach and then manager at Motherwell and generally did well. Twice took Preston to the Championship play-offs and then got a pretty average Derby side up through the play-offs.His career since has been a bit of a disaster but even his detractors would admit some of his attributes - toughness, getting his players ultra-fit, and tactical nous. I remember the view of one ex-pro that when you looked at a Billy Davies side you could see that every player knew exactly what their job was and how to do it. That sounds not unlike what Hamilton fans are saying about Neil.

I''m keeping open minded about it/him.

I do think things need shaking up though. Too often over recent months we haven''t looked like a team and there''s been a lack of fight about us. I don''t really want to say complacent because I''m sure the players are model pros (mostly) but it''s sort of had that feel about it that it''s a bit safe and cosy for some.

Be interesting to see how AN approaches it. With NA it looked like he sought to get certain figures onside and avoided rocking the boat too much.