Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Norwich City Transfer Fees?

Can someone explain this for me?

How can we sell Damien Francis for 1.5 million plus extra fees depending upon appearances etc etc and then Sheff Utd demand 5 million for their player Phil Jagielka? Wigan offered 4 million for him and it was rejected.

To my knowledge, Phil Jagielka has never played in the Premiership whereas Damo did and scored a hat-full of goals for a midfielder.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this and why transfer fees vary in this way?

ITS CALLED PLAYER POWER! JAGIELKA ISN''T BOTHERED ABOUT MOVING SO SHEFF UTD CAN DEMAND WHATEVER THEY WANT FOR HIM. WHEREAS FRANCIS (AND MORE SPECIFICALLY HIS AGENT)MADE IT CLEAR HE WANTED TO LEAVE SO WE HAD TO EXCEPT LESS. SIMPLE.

So are you saying bailojnr that if Damien didn''t want to leave Norwich, we could have set a transfer fee of say...7 million?

If a big Premiership club came in for Phil Jagielka, like Tottenham or Everton, are you saying he wouldn''t go because he wants to stay? I don''t think so.

I just think clubs seriously over-value players and get greedy. Money obviously talks with Sheff Utd.

I just thought 1.5 plus extras was a pretty good deal for a Premiership midfielder who scored 7 goals last season.

Tottenham bought Tom Huddlestone from Derby for 2.5 million and Charlton paid 3 million for Darren Bent...both Championship players!

… that would be half-a-season Premiership player with a attitute problem. Hence, in the end, only Wigan were willing to pay the money. Charlton, Fulham, Portsmouth in the end realised what they would be getting. Tom Huddlestone and all are younger, have more potential as u-21 internationals and a better attitude. I think the deal we got for Francis was as good as we could have got especially as he''d backed himself into a corner and Worthington was, quite rightly, unwilling to have a disruptive element in his club. Alex Ferguson and Lee Sharpe spring to mind.

I have made the same point myself canary boy - yuo can see how much Francis has been missed in the midfield performances we have seen so far.

I too think that we sold him too cheaply and could have adopted a Palarse/baldes approach until we struck a decent price - his worth to us was more than £1.5m now as we cant get an equivalent replacement.

But its water under the bridge and what is more important is how worthy spends the cash to get Safri a top notch partner.

OTBC     

Ah ZLF, I''m disappointed in you, you normally speak such sense.......in an ideal world, yes, we would have demanded a much higher fee for Damo (£2.5m seems about right), but as I''ve said before on these boards, a player is actually only worth what another club is prepared to pay for him.  In this case, that was 1.5m rising to a potential 2.25m.  this was the highest (possibly only) offer we received for a player who didn''t want to be at the club.

If Wigan want to spend £4m on Jagielka, that''s their look out - although I would say he is worth slightly more than Damo anyway.

[quote]Ah ZLF, I''m disappointed in you, you normally speak such sense.......in an ideal world, yes, we would have demanded a much higher fee for Damo (£2.5m seems about right), but as I''ve said before on the...[/quote]

John the Revelator, I realise that it is your opinion, but how can you say Sheff Utd''s Phil Jagielka is worth more than Damien Francis?

Jagielka has never been tested at Premiership level. For Sheff Utd to put a 5 million price tag on him is just pure greed.

[quote]John the Revelator, I realise that it is your opinion, but how can you say Sheff Utd''s Phil Jagielka is worth more than Damien Francis? Jagielka has never been tested at Premiership level. For Shef...[/quote]

No, it means they want to hang onto him and Jagielka has no desire to go anywhere for now.  They know that £5m is over-pricing him, that''s why they do it! It''s the same as Lyon saying they want £31m plus a player for Essien, a player not tested at Prem level, who would spend a lot of time on the bench - they don''t want him to go, so they do the best to price him out of the market. Same applies to Palace rejecting a £7m offer for AJ.  Hell, we probably wouldn''t even let Deano go for less than that, because we want him here, he''s happy here, and we don''t need the money.

Francis is a whole different kettle of fish... fish that swim around like their life depends on it for half a year, then spy a more attractive fish pond just down to road and spend the next six months sulking...

Francis made it clear he wanted to leave.  We would have loved him to come out and say he''d stay with us, etc, but he didn''t, because he didn''t want to.  Once he started sulking, his price started to drop, its as simple as that! Teams lost interest because they didn''t want an obviously disruptive element amongst the team, and Wigan only really came in because no one else would sign for them and they sensed someone desperate for a move.

Also, have you ever worked with someone who didn''t want to be there? I have - they become disruptive, they bring down morale for the whole team, and they put in so little effort they may as well not be there.  It is at that point that it becomes best for all concerned for that person to leave.  And on their final day, we do the speech, and the presentation, and the card and the "we''ll miss you," etc, but once they''re out of that door, there''s a huge sigh of relief and we can all get on with our jobs once more.

How many at Colney will miss Francis, I wonder?

Under the circumstances, £1.5m plus all the add-ons was a bloody good deal by Worthy and the Board, and should be applauded as such.

Think of it this way - we paid just over £250k for Francis two years ago.  We sold him for a possible £2 million, to a club who will probably come straight back down again next year, almost guaranteeing the sell-on fee to bring it up to £2.25m plus. That''s a potential profit of £2m on a player everyone wanted to see the back of.

Bad business?

Think again...

[quote]Ah ZLF, I''m disappointed in you, you normally speak such sense.......in an ideal world, yes, we would have demanded a much higher fee for Damo (£2.5m seems about right), but as I''ve said before on the...[/quote]

I agree that market forces dictate that Damo was only worth £1.5m + extras coz no one else was attracted enough to him, so it was a fair price.

However like the baldes or eagles we could have dug our heels in and kept him by placing an unrealistically high price on his head purely on the basis that he is better than most midfielders in this league even with his will he or wont he be bothered approach to the game - the fact that he HAS been keenly missed in midfield only re-emphasises how difficult it will be to replace him - even if all his fee is put into another midfielder.

Whether the players or players wifes were influential in the decision to sell is another question altogether.

OTBC

Green - my own personal Jesus.

Yes, absolutely ZLF, we COULD have dug our heels in.  I also agree that a player with the quality that Damo possesses will be keenly missed in our midfirled.  HOWEVER, he didn''t want to be here.  How much use to us would he have been this season?  Judging by Worthy''s no-nonsense way of dealing with players in a strop, not much.  We pride ourselves on our team spirit - how long would that have lasted with Damo sulking around the place?  Not long, I would imagine.

Anyway, none of it is important now, what''s done is done and I think we got a pretty good deal, personally.  It''s how we move on from here that''s important.

[quote]So are you saying bailojnr that if Damien didn''t want to leave Norwich, we could have set a transfer fee of say...7 million? If a big Premiership club came in for Phil Jagielka, like Tottenham or Eve...[/quote]

"So are you saying bailojnr that if Damien didn''t want to leave Norwich, we could have set a transfer fee of say...7 million?"

£7MILLION ARE U MAD! NO YOU QUOTED THE SILLY FIGURE NOT ME. I SIMPLY ANSWERED THE QUESTION. IF A PLAYER WANTS TO LEAVE YOU CAN''T ASK OVER THE ODDS FOR HIM CAN YOU. COS THE PLAYER AND HIS AGENT WILL BE BITTER AND MAY SIT OUT A CONTRACT AND LEAVE ON A FREE AND THAT WOULDN''T HELP ANYONE. SHEFF UTD CAN DEMAND TOP DOLLAR COS NEITHER THEY NOR THEIR PLAYER WANT TO PART COMPANY.

"If a big Premiership club came in for Phil Jagielka, like Tottenham or Everton, are you saying he wouldn''t go because he wants to stay? I don''t think so."

WELL OF COURSE THEY WOULD LEAVE BUT THATS NOT REALLY THE POINT. THE POINT IS NORWICH COULD DEMAND TOP DOLLAR IF HE WASN''T PUSHING FOR A MOVE. hAVE U HEARD jAGIELKA SAYING HIS HEAD ISN''T RIGHT TO PLAY? NO, SO SHEFF UTD CAN ASK WHAT THEY WANT.

How can Sheff Utd sign Paul Iffill for under £1million when we needed a top quality championship performer?

How can Reading sell us a reserve for £500,000 and then buy the key Watford midfielder who played really well against Prem opposition in the Carling cup last year for the same money?

[quote]Yes, absolutely ZLF, we COULD have dug our heels in. I also agree that a player with the quality that Damo possesses will be keenly missed in our midfirled. HOWEVER, he didn''t want to be here. How ...[/quote]

I agree - as I sadi initially it is all water under the bridge now, worthy has made the decision, and the key thing is how the money is used to get some momentum going for a promotion push to pass damo on the way down next summer.

OTBC 

I didn''t want to upset anyone...just asked a question of why we have such a range of fees.

Evil Monkey...that was bery well explained, I''m impressed.

Well it seemed to me that Damien  did not want to play for Norwich.

As is said "U can lead a horse to the water but no one can make him drink". It was known in club circles that a "mid-fielder" wanted to move on well before the end of last season if the club was relegated. Who can blame Damien either faced with a pay cut and a lowering of playing standards.

In those circumstances I think Norwich was lucky to get anything for him.

I remain convinced that the reason we were relegated was Worthington''s decision not to extend Robert''s contract for a further year. The man would have come on late some game or other, lifted the crowd, lifted the players, scored a goal and turned a draw into a win. One point was all that was needed.

Given that win Francis would still be playing for Norwich and the club would be in the top flight. Its all very well saying Worthington was a a learning curve but that curve cost the club a lot of money and the fans a lot of enjoyment.

[quote]I didn''t want to upset anyone...just asked a question of why we have such a range of fees. Evil Monkey...that was bery well explained, I''m impressed.[/quote]

Although prone to the odd "aside", I do try to make my arguments well structured and thought out... had the benefit of time at work yesterday in that it was my last day before a two week break (not going anywhere, sleeping and watching cricket) so was doing p**s-all else...

I''m also going to be putting my well-structured-and-thought-out-argument skill to good use by writing some articles for the fan website www.mrcarrow.co.uk.

Go there, and await my instructions......

[quote]Well it seemed to me that Damien did not want to play for Norwich. As is said "U can lead a horse to the water but no one can make him drink". It was known in club circles that a "mid-fielder" ...[/quote]

I thought the saying was "you can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead..."?

Seriously though, I don''t think our relegation had anything to do with big Iwan going. It was because our players just weren''t quite up to the job. Iwan would have looked desperately out of his depth in the Prem, as much as we love him.

i think it was good business by the club....over £1million profit on a player that drove us to the prem and earnt us £17mill or watever it was?! because thats a certainty - without him we wouldnt have got there and the club wouldnt have that money sat in the bank....