Sign in to follow this  
Your mother

The only disgrace is this messageboard

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"]Takes two people to make an argument Jim.You have obviously made your mind up here, but if you actually cared to look, the vast majority of situations you are talking about, are other people actually picking an argument with me, not the other way round.Which is fine, I set my stall out and wear my heart on my sleeve, and I''m man enough to take the flak that comes with it.

[/quote]

Well let''s not have another one then. Just think perhaps would help if you weren''t quite so dismissive of others posts at times.

That said looking back at more recent posts you seem to have mellowed a bit of late! It was a few weeks ago i really noticed all the spats.[/quote]I don''t suffer fools easily, and surely even you must admit to opening a lot of threads and rolling your eyes at the Olympic class idiocy of some of our fans?In my partial defence I am going through a house purchase just now lol.[/quote]

We do have some idiotic fans but then some of our fans probably think that I am an idiot. Trouble with the internet (and email) is that you don''t get the benefit of hearing how something is said so I think tongue in cheek or sarcastic comments can sound harsher than they are. Maybe you did just fancy a beer with that other poster after all! ;-)[/quote]

Sorry i will re-phrase that - we have some fans who make idiotic posts from time to time (including myself on occasion). i would not say they are "idiots" because i don;t actually know any of them and we all say/post stupid things in the heat of the moment from time to time.

The whole "beer" thing makes me laugh as people assume that I want to meet people to beat them up lol.The actual point is exactly what you allude to in your post, things mean so much more with the context of face to face debate, meanings, and as you rightly point out, wit and context are often lost. Which is why I advocate climbing out from behind the keyboard and chatting about the one thing we all have in common. Using the internet quite a lot (not just this forum) I also have a dislike of people who think they can get away with things just because its the internet, and it doesn''t matter what you say.I agree with your point about the heat of the moment, but I would think a lot more of someone who came back and admitted they were maybe a little hasty, and should have maybe thought before they bashed their keyboard.

Morty, your posts on this thread seem to suggest that it''s not the performance that matters only the result.  Therefore if that is the case then surely you too should be a Hughton Outer?[:^)]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Morty, your posts on this thread seem to suggest that it''s not the performance that matters only the result.  Therefore if that is the case then surely you too should be a Hughton Outer?[:^)][/quote]I have absolutely no idea how you came to that conclusion.Which reinforces my point about context a few posts above.But, taking up the point, it can be either / or, depending on circumstances.Do I want to see us park the bus away at Man City Saturday and maybe come away with an unlikely point? Yes I do.Would I want to watch that every week, no I wouldn''t.Not everything is black and white.

I''d certainly agree with you that it would be good if people just sat down and considered what they were going to write before they were let loose on a keyboard Morty. And, for the record, I''ve been as guilty as the next man re that . But, unfortunately, football is a subject that arouses passions, and is very tribal and polarised in its nature. So people do, whether we like it or not ,tend to tap away in the heat of the moment. But, doesn''t the same thing happen when folk start to trap off down the pub ??!! You are right however that many people do hide behind the anonymity of the internet. That''s how so many kiddy fiddlers and terrorists get away with it for so long, sadly.

I guess all I''m saying is making derogatory remarks , even as "throwaway" lines is likely to be a catalyst for some of the more unsavoury operators to swing into action. Is that not a fair generalisation ?

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]I''d certainly agree with you that it would be good if people just sat down and considered what they were going to write before they were let loose on a keyboard Morty. And, for the record, I''ve been as guilty as the next man re that . But, unfortunately, football is a subject that arouses passions, and is very tribal and polarised in its nature. So people do, whether we like it or not ,tend to tap away in the heat of the moment. But, doesn''t the same thing happen when folk start to trap off down the pub ??!! You are right however that many people do hide behind the anonymity of the internet. That''s how so many kiddy fiddlers and terrorists get away with it for so long, sadly.

I guess all I''m saying is making derogatory remarks , even as "throwaway" lines is likely to be a catalyst for some of the more unsavoury operators to swing into action. Is that not a fair generalisation ?[/quote]To be honest, with a few exceptions, I never see anything as extreme as you see here, in the pub.I see what you''re saying, but I am unlikely to change frankly. I am sarcastic and outspoken in real life too, so theres no keyboard hiding from me here (though I accept you weren''t accusing me of it)I have no problem with people being passionate at all, like you say, football is an emotive subject, but when I have to defend myself against people who have a grudge about something I said during the Worthington era, or wade through the tide of mysterious new posters who seem to arrive with ready made grudges, then I am afraid they have no longer made it about football debate really. And I deal with them accordingly.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Morty, your posts on this thread seem to suggest that it''s not the performance that matters only the result.  Therefore if that is the case then surely you too should be a Hughton Outer?[:^)][/quote]

I have absolutely no idea how you came to that conclusion.

Which reinforces my point about context a few posts above.

But, taking up the point, it can be either / or, depending on circumstances.

Do I want to see us park the bus away at Man City Saturday and maybe come away with an unlikely point? Yes I do.

Would I want to watch that every week, no I wouldn''t.

Not everything is black and white.
[/quote]

You said that the performance was of no consequence on page 3 of this thread.  Yet the performance is the only thing that the Hughton Inners cling to when saying why they are backing Hughton.

After getting soundly beaten by the ''big'' clubs this season, you want to see us go to the Etihad and try and park the bus?  We tried that strategy for most of last season and it didn''t work once.  Our only 2 away victories last season came when we actually attacked.

I agree, not everything is black and white.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]I''d certainly agree with you that it would be good if people just sat down and considered what they were going to write before they were let loose on a keyboard Morty. And, for the record, I''ve been as guilty as the next man re that . But, unfortunately, football is a subject that arouses passions, and is very tribal and polarised in its nature. So people do, whether we like it or not ,tend to tap away in the heat of the moment. But, doesn''t the same thing happen when folk start to trap off down the pub ??!! You are right however that many people do hide behind the anonymity of the internet. That''s how so many kiddy fiddlers and terrorists get away with it for so long, sadly. I guess all I''m saying is making derogatory remarks , even as "throwaway" lines is likely to be a catalyst for some of the more unsavoury operators to swing into action. Is that not a fair generalisation ?[/quote]

To be honest, with a few exceptions, I never see anything as extreme as you see here, in the pub.

I see what you''re saying, but I am unlikely to change frankly. I am sarcastic and outspoken in real life too, so theres no keyboard hiding from me here (though I accept you weren''t accusing me of it)

I have no problem with people being passionate at all, like you say, football is an emotive subject, but when I have to defend myself against people who have a grudge about something I said during the Worthington era, or wade through the tide of mysterious new posters who seem to arrive with ready made grudges, then I am afraid they have no longer made it about football debate really. And I deal with them accordingly.
[/quote]

Who has a grudge about something you said during the Worthington era?

I must say that , like NBS, I was wondering where this grudge dating back from thie mid-noughties came from, Morty. I''ll accept that I do not read through every thread every day, but I''''ve never been aware of anyone holding grudges against you. Disagreeing with one of your more colourful offerings....yes. But grudge...no.

Can you be more specific ?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Morty, your posts on this thread seem to suggest that it''s not the performance that matters only the result.  Therefore if that is the case then surely you too should be a Hughton Outer?[:^)][/quote]I have absolutely no idea how you came to that conclusion.Which reinforces my point about context a few posts above.But, taking up the point, it can be either / or, depending on circumstances.Do I want to see us park the bus away at Man City Saturday and maybe come away with an unlikely point? Yes I do.Would I want to watch that every week, no I wouldn''t.Not everything is black and white.[/quote]

You said that the performance was of no consequence on page 3 of this thread.  Yet the performance is the only thing that the Hughton Inners cling to when saying why they are backing Hughton.

After getting soundly beaten by the ''big'' clubs this season, you want to see us go to the Etihad and try and park the bus?  We tried that strategy for most of last season and it didn''t work once.  Our only 2 away victories last season came when we actually attacked.

[/quote]I have just read that page and can''t see where I said that?And yes, I think the winning of a point would be massively more important than a performance on Saturday, given the context of our league position and the pressure the manager and team are under. Its about context. What you failed to mention that I said after that that this would not always apply, so stop picking bits out of my posts to try and support points.None of your business re old grudges, not interested in discussing. Heres a tip, keep an eye out for people following me around pecking away, when I actually rarely post to them[Y]

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]I must say that , like NBS, I was wondering where this grudge dating back from thie mid-noughties came from, Morty. I''ll accept that I do not read through every thread every day, but I''''ve never been aware of anyone holding grudges against you. Disagreeing with one of your more colourful offerings....yes. But grudge...no.

Can you be more specific ?[/quote]Lol, there are loads of old grudges on here, spats between the same posters that stretch back years!

For once I have to say that Parking the bus, might be our only option, much as I hate saying it.

I agree we are better attcking, but with the loss of Redmond, Tettey and maybe Snoddy I don''t see us having enough stability or attacking power to make it work.

It would be a hell of a game to try out Murphy.  Maybe a no risk scenario, but I don''t know whether we can totally write off this game.  Had we beaten Cardiff then less pressure, but we need whatever we can get and...damn it hurts to say it... we may just have to try and grind this one out.

Such a sad state of affairs!

Snake[:(] 

[quote user="morty"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Morty, your posts on this thread seem to suggest that it''s not the performance that matters only the result.  Therefore if that is the case then surely you too should be a Hughton Outer?[:^)][/quote]

I have absolutely no idea how you came to that conclusion.

Which reinforces my point about context a few posts above.

But, taking up the point, it can be either / or, depending on circumstances.

Do I want to see us park the bus away at Man City Saturday and maybe come away with an unlikely point? Yes I do.

Would I want to watch that every week, no I wouldn''t.

Not everything is black and white.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I have just read that page and can''t see where I said that?

And yes, I think the winning of a point would be massively more important than a performance on Saturday, given the context of our league position and the pressure the manager and team are under. Its about context. What you failed to mention that I said after that that this would not always apply, so stop picking bits out of my posts to try and support points.

None of your business re old grudges, not interested in discussing. Heres a tip, keep an eye out for people following me around pecking away, when I actually rarely post to them[Y]
[/quote]

So it''s none of my business, yet you post it on an open forum, then despite it being none of my business, tell me to ''keep an eye out''![:^)] 

Is the level of performance as black and white as, if you support Hughton the level of performance matters, but if you are a ''Hughton Outer'' the level of performance doesn''t matter?  This is what it appears you are saying on this thread.......

Just to add that the only long running and nasty grudges that I can think of are ones that have started away from this forum out in the real world, but found there way on to here.  Butler et al, Smudger etc.

I try and stay away from all this, other than in the past I did have a bit of fun with City1st (no, not like that), but I gave up on that a long time ago.

The art on this forum is to try and stay away from all the kwrap.  A lot of the nonsense seems to follow the same people around and around, they claim it''s never their fault, but you do have to wonder whether the saying, ''there''s no smoke without fire''.  Some people just can''t help themselves.

It''s nigh on impossible to have a normal friendly-ish discussion/debate on here and on that note I am bowing out of this thread. 

Morty you have made mention of parking the bus at Man City,nicking a point and being happy to take that. You know what so would I but the big problem we have is that Hughton has no idea how to park the bus and it never works for us.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Morty you have made mention of parking the bus at Man City,nicking a point and being happy to take that. You know what so would I but the big problem we have is that Hughton has no idea how to park the bus and it never works for us.[/quote]Best he learns, and quick.We need damage limitation for the minute, and look to winning the next two home games to steady the ship.Then we look at what is best for the club, not make knee jerk reactions.

This bus, Tilly.......would Hughton be going for the double -decker, or would he stay safe and opt for the standard single decker ?

I suppose he could actually start out with a minibus, then , five minutes from time, when all is lost, replace it with a full size, Eastern Counties double decker .