Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Are players real people -

BTW: I still have a NCFC pin striped subbetteo team kicking about (and some other teams)

The Pink un Role Model wrote:

Is that through experience? Because that sounds complete b0ll0cks to me.

Of course it does. Why wouldn''t it be complete bo11ocks to you?

Well... the second you came out with the first sentence.

"Working with the frame of reference generated by the space-time frame we have been conditioned to"

I have got the subbuteo 92/94 Norwich City "Puke" kit...

Gary Megson is out injured.. needs gluing, no ETA on return. Ruel Fox is carrying a knock, but the blu-tack before the game should see him through it.

I''m 21 years of age and I also played subbuteo. My dad brought me the Norwich players but it was a ''treat'' to play with them at the time, as I was young and the figures were fragile. However, I did enjoy playing it.

To say Subbuteo is more real than Fifa 13 is ridiculous though. Fifa has far more player information, different forms of tactics and every player in every league In the world is in it. (obviously the main ones). Pace isn''t just everything, it''s down to the individuals style of play, some like passing, some like ''long balls''. You get a far better range of opposition and teams and players and even the refs can be controversial at times.

Both great games though. Fifa 13 gets my vote any day.

[quote user="Green and Yellow fellow"]

To say Subbuteo is more real than Fifa 13 is ridiculous though. Fifa has far more player information, different forms of tactics and every player in every league In the world is in it. (obviously the main ones). [/quote]

My thinking has more to do with the physical aspects of moving around, using a real ball rather than manipulating a mouse.  Fifa 13 is still images on a screen, nothing tangible.  All we are doing on computers is manipulating a mouse and pressing buttons.   Mental activity and learning is taking place - but it is all in the mind.   The hand/eye co-ordination involved is just increasing hand/eye co-ordination for pressing keys in relation to a screen, nothing else.    It might be useful on a very limited mental spectrum of the brain,  but other than that, it is a sedentary pastime.     Playing a game with actual objects is to do with moving around, developing different physical skills.        

Moving around is good for you, physically and mentally.  The more time spent on a computer is less time moving

around.  Its ok for those who can do nothing else but press keys and move a mouse, but for most people it would be healthier to get out and play real games. Playing around with hundreds of players from around the world who only exist in terms of images and information is neither real or particularly useful.   The accuracy of information about players, tactics, formations, skills, is limited by the people who put that information  into the computer programme itself.  Anyway, that knowledge is only useful if you can then go and put it into real practice.    But who does?  Those that spend  a lot of their time on computers find that it is ever more time consuming, giving them even less time for physical exercise and thus never putting what they have learned into practice.

Our world is diminishing ever more into a world of computers.  Offering us instant buying, selling, banking, filming, tv, photo editing, accounting, playing games...etc etc.    We are supposed to have evolved from apes.   At some stage we lost our tails - presumably because we didn''t need them any more, having come out of the trees and using our hind legs more.    Evolutionary changes like that are supposed to happen relatively quickly.  I wonder how long it will take for us to evolve into just  being an extension of  a computer keyboard.      From some of the people I see around me, its already happened.........

was it nissan who have taken computer car simulator racers and have employed the best of them to race real cars in a series? or was that a figment of my imagination?

computer simulated footballers next?

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Green and Yellow fellow"]

To say Subbuteo is more real than Fifa 13 is ridiculous though. Fifa has far more player information, different forms of tactics and every player in every league In the world is in it. (obviously the main ones). [/quote]

My thinking has more to do with the physical aspects of moving around, using a real ball rather than manipulating a mouse.  Fifa 13 is still images on a screen, nothing tangible.  All we are doing on computers is manipulating a mouse and pressing buttons.   Mental activity and learning is taking place - but it is all in the mind.   The hand/eye co-ordination involved is just increasing hand/eye co-ordination for pressing keys in relation to a screen, nothing else.    It might be useful on a very limited mental spectrum of the brain,  but other than that, it is a sedentary pastime.     Playing a game with actual objects is to do with moving around, developing different physical skills.        

Moving around is good for you, physically and mentally.  The more time spent on a computer is less time moving

around.  Its ok for those who can do nothing else but press keys and move a mouse, but for most people it would be healthier to get out and play real games. Playing around with hundreds of players from around the world who only exist in terms of images and information is neither real or particularly useful.   The accuracy of information about players, tactics, formations, skills, is limited by the people who put that information  into the computer programme itself.  Anyway, that knowledge is only useful if you can then go and put it into real practice.    But who does?  Those that spend  a lot of their time on computers find that it is ever more time consuming, giving them even less time for physical exercise and thus never putting what they have learned into practice.

Our world is diminishing ever more into a world of computers.  Offering us instant buying, selling, banking, filming, tv, photo editing, accounting, playing games...etc etc.    We are supposed to have evolved from apes.   At some stage we lost our tails - presumably because we didn''t need them any more, having come out of the trees and using our hind legs more.    Evolutionary changes like that are supposed to happen relatively quickly.  I wonder how long it will take for us to evolve into just  being an extension of  a computer keyboard.      From some of the people I see around me, its already happened.........

[/quote]A lot of modern consoles/entertainment systems have kinetic hand-held devices.  Try going three rounds on Wii Fit Boxing and see how sedentary you feel afterwards!

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]A lot of modern consoles/entertainment systems have kinetic hand-held devices.  Try going three rounds on Wii Fit Boxing and see how sedentary you feel afterwards![/quote]

Yeah, I suppose I''m thinking of  more old fashioned playing on a computer with a mouse and keyboard.   I''ve not tried the Wii Fit - maybe I should - I think I got put off by watching   this lot  -   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mftku6Eta-I[:(]