Sign in to follow this  
Mark Fotheringham City Legend

What position would you say Hoolahan is?

Centre attack, fitting in just behind the striker. As far as I''m aware I don''t think there is any more to discuss?

Now Howson... Let''s talk about his position instead?

Err, he plays in the hole behind an out and out striker. Links the play between midfield and attack and seeks out pockets in play to gain/expose space. Yeh?

On the Howson thing, I would say he is an Attacking midfielder, Hughton''s insistence that he isn''t led to that shocking attempt at 4-4-2 against Villa.

He could have just put Howson in for Wes, flicked Fox into the 2 DMs and kept the formation that''s seen us unbeaten.

However, on the Wes thing- while he is seen as playing ''in the hole'', the frequency with which he drops deep to start attacks surely deems him to be seen as more box to box or even a free role? To pigeon hole him as an AM is ridiculous, he doesn''t just stand behind Holt

Everything that Flatcap said. If I see Howson out of position one more time I''m gonna cry.

Flatcap, for a box to box player, see Alex Tettey. Wes is not a box to box midfielder, end of.

Free role? That''s closer to it but he still has a fixed role within the team and works back, so I still wouldnt say he has a ''free'' role.

Attacking midfielder. Or second striker, or ''free role'' or ''in the hole'' all pretty much the same. He''s an attacking layer, but not a striker, mainly central but goes all over the place.

Howson is a central midfielder, he thinks he''s an AM, he should know, but from what I''ve seen of him he''s much better as a box to box player, good passer, good shot, good at chasing players down. Not quite as creative as Hoolahan, not quite as good a passer as fox, not quite as defensively capable as Johnson, but does all of it well.

Right, that''s it GP! I''m gonna come over there and give you the old one two! Have at you! On guard I say!

Wouldn''t you rather pistols at dawn? Would be a much more efficient way to deal with this.

Although I''d prefer if we postponed until at leas midday, I am a student after all ;)

I think it''s time for you leave to GP. You came to the wrong neighbourhood.

*Next to the angry face should be this ;)"

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]Trequartista.[/quote]

OK, put your hand up if you had never even heard of this position until Footy Manager ?

After Saturday, I would say Hoolahan is a sort of Peter Crouch type player, a big 6 foot 5 target man that you send crosses over to, and he heads them in.Oh... hang on a minute....they did say TALLEST player  on the field, didn''t they?