Sign in to follow this  
Sing Up The South Stand

The problem today? No Johnson, Holt or Morison.

If we were at full strength we wouldn''t have lost in my opinion. West Ham had some injuries yes, but were able to field a vastly stronger team than us.

Whilst I rate Howson as a player, he just does not suit the role that is usually Johnson''s - and neither would David Fox. Likewise Kane (or even Jackson if he started) simply do not suit being the lone striker, particularly away from home.

People might argue that he should have changed formation, where you could then play Fox/Howson with Tettey and partner Kane with Jackson. Then you have to drop Hoolahan which I think would be a poor decision.

Therefore, all things considered, it was always going to be difficult today even without the contribution of Mark Clattenburg and we need to just accept it (not saying people aren''t) and move on. If anything, that we were a couple of poor decisions away from getting something despite being weakened is almost positive in a weird kind of way.

Let''s just hope Holt, Morrison and Johnson''s (along with Garrido not playing) enforced breaks do them good.

Johnson was the biggest loss for us, we were very poor at breaking up their play today and I can not remember us winning a second ball or a 50/50 ball all afternoon.   

Yes, I agree, but due to suspensions and injuries his hands were pretty tied. As we''ve only been in the Premiership one season before this we''ve yet to get the strength in depth others have - even West Ham due to not losing many players from their previous long stint in the league.

no we could have played Elliott Bennett, Jackson and Garrido but Hughton doesnt seem to like to play Bennett or Jackson does he?

[quote user="canarygirl"]Johnson was the biggest loss for us, we were very poor at breaking up their play today and I can not remember us winning a second ball or a 50/50 ball all afternoon.    [/quote]This.... (but not your avatar picture!)

I agree about Bennett, but personally feel it probably wouldn''t have made much difference, as it was the centre which was the key. Unless you''re suggesting Bennett should have been put in defensive midfield, which I expect you aren''t.

Same with Jackson. Look at West Ham''s defence, three of them were over 6 foot and one was only an inch under. By playing Hoolahan you can only have the one striker (I don''t think the diamond would have worked today - and is in my opinion less attacking than the 451) and when you haven''t got Holt or Morison I''d rather have the 6 foot Kane than the 5 foot 8 Jackson.

Garrido was an odd one, but maybe he thought he needed a break or Bennett''s increased height would be useful against West Ham.

May as well have given Korey some minutes to use his energy and break-up play in the slot next to Tettey or Howson. Bold, but we needed to be at 2-0 down.

Apart from some strange selections and tactics yesterday, my deeper concern is Hughton''s apparent unwillingness to rotate players in the PL. This must make injuries to key players more likely and may lead to burn out in the latter part of the season.