Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Lawro - now if proof were needed

about just how intentional his predictions are for us his 1-1 against Posh is surely just Canary Baiting in another form?  [;)]

That was the score prediction elsewhere (Telegraph?), and I must admit that I think that this is a probable result.With no Holt or Morison, I can''t see us scoring many, and we may do well to keep it down to 1-1, if we put out a side containing some non-regulars.

I am sorry I just dont get the pessimism - just a couple of matches ago we were expecting wins against wests brom and hamd and possibly points against the champions of europe and the premier league.    Is it a fallacy that this is the strongest squad we have had in years - if we cant be confident of a good result against Peterborough it must be.

Our "back up" team has similar capabilities to the team that won promotion 2 years ago, is experienced in playing champsionship football and we are playing a low in confidence Posh side - who admittedly will lift their game to a prem team.    Even so while I accept a draw is possible we should have enough to earn the win irrespective of which side we pick.   

I dont think it will be an easy or large win - but 1-0 or 2-1 win for me.

I''m not so sure we all believed the profile of potential Christmas results would be as you suggest. Only if none of the first teamers are risked would I hope for a win against Posh. Another injury would put our PL survival in further jeopardy.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]I''m not so sure we all believed the profile of potential Christmas results would be as you suggest. Only if none of the first teamers are risked would I hope for a win against Posh. Another injury would put our PL survival in further jeopardy.[/quote]

Spot on.

A cup run is the last thing we want, imagine the distractions, the fatigue, the injuries, the extra income. In fact, we should probably play fringe academy players or triallists - a good opportunity to look for some fresh blood - or just throw the game. Remember the MK Dons game where we didn''t put a tackle in until Ayala got injured? I''d love to see another performance like that. There is nothing makes me prouder than watching us surrender toothlessly to lower league opposition in the cups as it shows we really mean business in the Premier League.

We should have played weakened sides against Man City and Chelsea too as we won''t get anything from these games so why bother trying? 0 points is still no points whether we lose 1-0, 4-3 or 10-0. Concentrate on the games we CAN win.

Trying too hard against Chelsea and Man City probably cost us 6 points at West Brom and West Ham. I can''t see us getting out of the mire now. QPR and Reading will come roaring past us as we fall through the trapdoor with Wigan and Saints.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

I am sorry I just dont get the pessimism - just a couple of matches ago we were expecting wins against wests brom and hamd and possibly points against the champions of europe and the premier league.    Is it a fallacy that this is the strongest squad we have had in years - if we cant be confident of a good result against Peterborough it must be.

Our "back up" team has similar capabilities to the team that won promotion 2 years ago, is experienced in playing champsionship football and we are playing a low in confidence Posh side - who admittedly will lift their game to a prem team.    Even so while I accept a draw is possible we should have enough to earn the win irrespective of which side we pick.   

I dont think it will be an easy or large win - but 1-0 or 2-1 win for me.

[/quote]

Zipper, I think you''re overstating what "our" expectations may have been in recent games and, further, not taking into account the recent form of Peterborough as they have taken 12 out of their last 15 points, including an away win at Cardiff....which had not dropped a single point at home previously. Peterborough also gave Middlesbrough a good battle before losing by the odd goal. Given their long history of providing upsets in the FA Cup I think we should not assume an easy match here, particularly if we do not field our strongest side.

[quote user="Salopian"]That was the score prediction elsewhere (Telegraph?), and I must admit that I think that this is a probable result.With no Holt or Morison, I can''t see us scoring many, and we may do well to keep it down to 1-1, if we put out a side containing some non-regulars.[/quote]Why the pessimism ? It''s true that while we''re not exactly bristling with firepower Posh have some huge omissions to deal with tomorrow :Their best defender, Zakuani, is away on African Nations Cup duty.Their best midfielder, on-loan Thorne, has been recalled by West Brom.Their in-form striker, Gayle, is Cup-tied.Their leading scorer, Tomlin, got himself sent off last week and is suspended.Their Cup record against top division teams is appalling. They''ve won just once, 2-1 against Arsenal in 1965, and have suffered 20 eventual losses.Their crowd tomorrow will be roughly half and half. As of yesterday Posh had sold a total of just over 11,500 tickets of which at least 5050 will be City fans. That must make a difference.Provided we turn up tomorrow I can''t see us not winning by at least a couple of goals.( fingers crossed that doesn''t come back and bite me in the bum )

I''m not really bothered either way on what Lawro predicts. I guess a Champs side at home to a PL side is always a potential banana skin, so a draw is not unreasonable.

What I don''t quite get, though, is that on MOTD the other day he was saying that we''d be safe, yet has only predicted two wins for us all season, and we are pretty much (if not at the) bottom of ''his'' league table....slightly odd.

Most on here thought we would take at least 6 points from the last 4 games. Even I thought we might get 2, how wrong.

I think Lawro is being generous, I think we will lose 3 - 1