Sign in to follow this  
chicken

Pilkington and Snodgrass

This is not a slagging off thread like many of the others. Two players looking very neat and tidy and every bit classy.

However, the question I want to pose is this - are they on the wrong flanks?

I say that because yesterday, to my eyes at least, a lot of our attacks lost momentum or threat because they rely so heavily on cutting in to put the ball on their favoured foot.

Now I can understand how that can be advantageous such as Pilkington''s goal, but I do wonder if the two should switch over every now and then.

Every time the ball went into their box we looked more likely to score, especially when put in early. E. Bennett appeared to prove that with the crosses he was putting in at the end almost proving more goals.

Strangely I noted that he and Pilkington did switch flanks a couple of times . . . . .

God knows where the little cloud icon appeared from, I definitely did not click that. But then it is raining so I guess it is suitable.

I have been thinking about this as well, I think it is down to Hughton not wanting Pilkington and Snodgrass to play out too wide. Keeping them narrower makes Norwich more compact and harder to counter attack against - also with only one striker you don''t want the wingers out too wide as even good crosses will be relatively easy to clear. Playing narrower allows Pilkington to score the goals he has done. The width is suppose to come from Whittaker and Garrido who have been getting forward well in the last couple of games (Garrido''s crossing is especially dangerous).

Personally I don''t see any harm in them swapping flanks occasionally to give opposing full backs something different to think about, but with neither Pilks or Snodgrass blessed for pace I don''t think they would get around the outside of too many defenders (another reason to prefer players who can cut inside).

I''m surprised they don''t switch flanks more often during the game, but I guess this has something to do with building defensive relationships with Whittaker and Garrido respectively??

I think there is a lot to be said for wingers who switch flanks, especially if they are struggling with the full backs they are up against that day. It also keeps people guessing as they are never sure to expect a cut back or a dash for the by-line.

Snodders does seem to be a right winger, thats where he had the majority of his glory for Leeds and perhaps thats why they don''t switch. Dunno.

You raise a good point!

Whilst I agree with your point and think it should happen in periods of games I am not sure either really has the pace to beat fullbacks on the outside which would mean they would have to check back anyway.

Davo

He might not be lightening quick but Pilkington is no slouch. A couple of times he ran back to help out the defence and caught up with play very quickly.

The problem you have with it being on the wrong foot is that you really need to have a good five yards on a player ton then cut in in front of him rather than cutting in behind him.

A lot of full backs these days are pretty nippy so not likely to surrender that sort of space. Where as to beat your man for a cross on your natural foot you only need to beat him by a yard to make space to get the ball in.

Pilks didn''t have too much problem cutting in on Cuellar, whether it was in front or behind. And Cuellar was basically up with him from the moment he collected the ball.

Just about the only time Holty had a cross to attack was when Bennett came on and beat his marker on the outside before putting in a great cross - I was a little surprised that he wasn''t on earlier although CH isn''t one for early substitutions too often!

Not sure about Snodgrass - flatters to decieve too often & goes down too easily when it would have been just as advantageous to stay on his feet - at least 2 examples of this yesterday. He may have got lucky once ot twice with "unjustified" free kicks but in the long run that won''t continue. Can put in good free kicks if they are in the right position, around the right hand corner of penalty area, but generally his crosses & corners are poor.

Bennett, on the other hand, is quicker, sharper, more direct and can get in more effective crosses from a better angle.I think he can defend better too - as shown last season when he played right back when Martin got injured.Did well when he came on yesterday & worth a chance