Sign in to follow this  
Attleborough_Canary

Super Leagues?

[quote user="Attleborough_Canary"]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19924802

Interesting article on 2 or 3 counts really, first being the possibility that the formation of European leagues may seem closer than we realise. Secondly, I remember how this guy came across when we sign Whittaker and lastly his view of Aston villa [:)]

[/quote]

I was meant to say that he comes accross equally as arrogant now as he did when we made that signing!

Seems like a desperate attempt to keep the spirits up at his hapless club.

"Green added: "How can Manchester United''s revenues be £320m and Aston Villa, who are completely useless, get £250m?"

True about Villa being useless but fail to see how they made anywhere near that amount last season, as I presume he means that. They finished with less Sky money than us for their league position after all and have been cost cutting since well before Lambert arrived.

He''s deluding himself if he thinks the big or any English clubs are desperate to play Rangers year on year, Barcelona''s, Milans, Madrids maybe. Rangers i dont think so apart from a the England v Scotland novelty value. As for this European Super League idea I''m sure money wise it makes great sense but i cant see hardcore fans travelling to Moscow and the likes every year for away games in the same way they would the Champions league, the domestic leagues place that particular competition on a pedestal and the big clubs would be pretty stupid to discount that.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Seems like a desperate attempt to keep the spirits up at his hapless club.

"Green added: "How can Manchester United''s revenues be £320m and Aston Villa, who are completely useless, get £250m?"

True about Villa being useless but fail to see how they made anywhere near that amount last season, as I presume he means that. They finished with less Sky money than us for their league position after all and have been cost cutting since well before Lambert arrived.

[/quote]

Well he made that up and the Arsenal not selling out against West Ham is also untrue.So he''d better pull his socks up if he wants people to listen to him.

Quite apart from the rest of what he says (which is baffling, depressing, ill-informed and arrogant amongst other things) I''m not sure he should be calling other clubs "completely useless" bearing in mind his own team lost to the mighty Stirling Albion last weekend...

If a ''Super League'' ever happens, I can''t see it being just a European thing. It''ll be a world-wide league, cos given the interest and money such a league would generate, the middle eastern teams will want in, as will those in China/Korea/Japan and the US... I think it could happen eventually, but it will end up being in addition to regular domestic leagues and CL etc like we have now - something like it''ll run during the summer close season, on a Monday and Friday night... and I can''t see Rangers being anywhere near involved.

Wouldn''t be surprised to see a ''Celtic League Premiership'' similar to rugby emerge sooner or later though, with teams from Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and the ROI involved.

[quote user="andyc24_uk"]If a ''Super League'' ever happens, I can''t see it being just a European thing. It''ll be a world-wide league, cos given the interest and money such a league would generate, the middle eastern teams will want in, as will those in China/Korea/Japan and the US... I think it could happen eventually, but it will end up being in addition to regular domestic leagues and CL etc like we have now - something like it''ll run during the summer close season, on a Monday and Friday night... and I can''t see Rangers being anywhere near involved.

Wouldn''t be surprised to see a ''Celtic League Premiership'' similar to rugby emerge sooner or later though, with teams from Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and the ROI involved.Or may be stop the over use of celtic when its doesn''t really apply to many of them nations or better yet make an two tier British premier league, but if they do that then we would only play as one international team as there will be no point having 4 different fa when there is only one league to represent[/quote]