Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Anthony McNamee

Now at Macclesfield Town in the Conference after failing at MK Dons and Wycombe Wanderers. A sad tale, similar to Simon Whaley''s career trajectory, and a sign of how quickly footballers can fall down the pyramid.  I wonder what his day job is these days?I don''t recall many posters here thinking he was much good, mind you.Except maybe Smudger.

To be fair to him, he did alright for us, scored and assisted some important goals for us. A victim of our rapid rise like askou

At a push he did ok but certainly wasn''t one of Lambert''s best ideas.

But Askou?? What did he ever do. My abiding memory is an almighty hoof clearing the Jarrold Stand. Months later I was on the pitch and looked up at that stand and realised what an impressive hoof that was. I haven''t seen it done since.

Solid defender at league one level (askou) but lacked pace to play any higher, much like mark Roberts or the ginger pele

He done far more for NCFC than certain people who are still in our squad.Without his contributions we could well still be in League 1 or the Championship Mr Chops, but that doesn''t really suit yours and others unwarranted abuse of a player whose contributions allowed us to get out of both of those Leagues does it?Good job I don''t go about bringing up all the individuals who you supported who got us relegated to League 1 in the first place isn''t it?Try and stick to your funnies if I were you.

Which people are they Smudger?

Who is ''still'' in our squad from them that has done less than McNamee?

Lappin and Martin would be the obvious targets, but if you think they''ve done less than super Ant then, well, I quit.

[quote user="Smudger"]He done far more for NCFC than certain people who are still in our squad.

Without his contributions we could well still be in League 1 or the Championship Mr Chops, but that doesn''t really suit yours and others unwarranted abuse of a player whose contributions allowed us to get out of both of those Leagues does it?

Good job I don''t go about bringing up all the individuals who you supported who got us relegated to League 1 in the first place isn''t it?

Try and stick to your funnies if I were you.

[/quote]

"Certain people"

Is that what certain people could have done or might have done? Another post you can revisit later and insert player''s name of your choice[;)]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Which people are they Smudger?

Who is ''still'' in our squad from them that has done less than McNamee?

Lappin and Martin would be the obvious targets, but if you think they''ve done less than super Ant then, well, I quit.[/quote]Well one of them has certainly done no more than McNamee.  I will leave it up to you to provide all the details of the goals, assists and goal saving tackles that prove otherwise though.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Lappin has 2 goals for Norwich.

McNamee 1.

(well according to Wiki)

Therefore Lappin wins.[/quote]How many appearances for each?I also believe those stats to be incorrect.Even if they are correct it is one more goal, in probably less appearances covering the same two year period.I will await details on assists and last ditch challenges that warrant a place in a Premier League squad for the second successive season.  I am also looking forwards to seeing where Lappin is used in a League game this season with all of those midfielders that Hughton purchased.  Perhaps Garrido and Tierney will be injured at the same time?

I never said he was worthy of a place in the PL squad. He''s not. But he is, Lambert thought he was, Hughton thinks he is.

I personally feel those two professional footballer managers judgement on the matter is probably more realistic than ours.

But seriously, Lappin, he''s done more than McNamee, stats aren''t needed. The fact he''s played like 100 more games show that.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I never said he was worthy of a place in the PL squad. He''s not. But he is, Lambert thought he was, Hughton thinks he is.

I personally feel those two professional footballer managers judgement on the matter is probably more realistic than ours.

But seriously, Lappin, he''s done more than McNamee, stats aren''t needed. The fact he''s played like 100 more games show that.[/quote]38 of Lappin''s 121 games were prior to us being relegated from the Championship.At least get the stats correct.Lappin 114 games, 3 goals at League 1, Championship and Cup Football between the Summer of 2006 (when he signed for NCFC) and May 2011 when we were promoted to the Prmier League.I think that McNamee got 5 or 6 goals for various clubs in the same period.  I also believe that McNamee scored 1 goal in 32 appearances (many of which were substitute appearances) for NCFC.Those are the stats which I found courtesy of your source Wiki anyhow.Hardly a massive difference in the two players I would say.I am sure that any stats on assists or any other part of these two players games over a similar period in time would have a big difference in the stats that they provide us with either. Some just choose to forget everything good that some players did for us.

What?

Get the stats correct? What exactly did I get wrong?

I said ''like 100 more games'' wasn''t an exact number because I couldn''t be bothered to go back and check because it really doesn''t matter.

I''m not saying McNamee wasn''t useful for us. But Lappin HAS done more. He has played a lot more games for us over the years, I don''t care if he only scored once, never made an assist and never tackled anyone, he''s still done more because he''s spent more time on the pitch.

Neither of them are superstars, neither of them have done anything very special. It doesn''t even matter. Lappin IS a premiership footballer, I know you don''t like him, but that is a fact (as our new friend Acolyte would like to say).

One''s a defensive player the other is an attacking player. How are these comparisons in anyway useful. How many of MacNamee''s games were at left back!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

One''s a defensive player the other is an attacking player. How are these comparisons in anyway useful. How many of MacNamee''s games were at left back!

[/quote]How many of Lappins were?

In the League 1 season Lappin was excellent and a virtual ever present (unlike Macca). He gave us tremendous balance on the left side of the diamond and also a lot of great quality to. More than he is given credit for. He got 10 assists that year. In terms of context. Elliott Bennett got 11 for Brighton and Robert Snodgrass got 8 for Leeds.

Obviously when Surman signed the number of games he played decreased. But he still played 27 games that year and was a vital member of the squad. He slotted in perfectly when Surman picked a long term injury. He then slotted in again when we lost both Stephen Smith and Adam Drury at left back around Christmas.

If he had kicked up a stink and asked to leave after losing his place initially then we would have really struggled to handle the loss of those players to injury. Players like Lappin are essential for that reason. It wasn''t just the goals of Holt or the creativity of Hoolahan that won promotion. It was a real team effort.

Granted he didn''t play a lot in the last season but having played a significant part in the clubs rise can you blame him for wanting to soak up the atmosphere of being a Premiership club and enjoying the inevitable financial rewards (all the players got bonuses and a wage increase I am sure) which have come from our Premiership status.

He has also been there when required again. He played his part in one of my favourite Norwich matches ever, the 3-3 at the Emirates. What an experience and a memory for any player to have. Good man to have around the place and I am gutted I missed his goal in the league cup.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]To be fair to him, he did alright for us, scored and assisted some important goals for us. A victim of our rapid rise like askou[/quote]I''ll leave you with Jimmy Smith''s post - no relation honest.I will then just ask, why you saw the need to ridicule my posts stiking up for McNamee and not his?End of my input to this subject.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]To be fair to him, he did alright for us, scored and assisted some important goals for us. A victim of our rapid rise like askou[/quote]

I''ll leave you with Jimmy Smith''s post - no relation honest.

I will then just ask, why you saw the need to ridicule my posts stiking up for McNamee and not his?

End of my input to this subject.

[/quote]

Does that mean the thread is now closed almighty one[:^)]

Before you go, having lost this argument hands down, who were the other certain players so we know for later?

Smudge, I can''t believe how mean you''re being about the King of Spain! Is this not the player who only a few seasons ago (League 1?) kindly let you wrap your arms around him outside Carrow Rd or Colney, in a fashion very much reminiscent of a small girl meeting One Direction, or, Jimmy Savile before he went bad? Shame on you!

I think it was an ironic photo Alex.

Afterwards he told Lappin he''s useless, fetched a ball, skinned Lappin three times, chipped the ball up to McNamee who volleyed it back into his path and Smudger scored with a beautiful diving header into the top corner, past super Fraser Forster.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I think it was an ironic photo Alex. Afterwards he told Lappin he''s useless, fetched a ball, skinned Lappin three times, chipped the ball up to McNamee who volleyed it back into his path and Smudger scored with a beautiful diving header into the top corner, past super Fraser Forster.[/quote]

Where was the infamous bag of cement while this was happening young Pele?

[quote user="Alex "]Smudge, I can''t believe how mean you''re being about the King of Spain! Is this not the player who only a few seasons ago (League 1?) kindly let you wrap your arms around him outside Carrow Rd or Colney, in a fashion very much reminiscent of a small girl meeting One Direction, or, Jimmy Savile before he went bad? Shame on you![/quote]It was Charlton (a) and I was very drunk and coaxed in to it by a fellow poster on here.It was as much a piss take as it was an appraisal of his finer footballing skills as you would have known if you were with us.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]So you didn''t score a diving header?

I''m disappointed. Have you ever scored a diving header? It''d make my day if you have.[/quote]Why would it make your day?  Probably a long time ago, before I had a shiny bonce!

Why wouldn''t it make my day is the question.

Knowing the legendary Smudger has scored a diving header is just a dream. And no, none of this post is sarcastic, it is 100% serious (I even used a real percentage, not this 110% bollocks people always go on about)

This is such a strange one and its mind boggling to see him drop so low. He had some excellent moments for us in League 1 and truly looked a great player at times.

He had the tricks to get past his man, pace and always seemed to deliver dangerous crosses. How can someone drop so much?

Haha GP, and Smudge - only pulling your chain me old mucker. I for one didn''t mind McNamee, he had a blinder against M''boro if I remember rightly, it is amazing to see how far he''s fallen in league football sadly but best of luck to him working his way back up. KOS - don''t think anyone can give him grief whatsover, he''s always a solid player and gives 110%, tellingly he''s survived many a managers summer/winter sales so he must be doing something right - and I can''t recall him getting much stick from the supporters on here who get to many more games than myself either. If he played against Arsenal on Saturday I certainly wouldn''t be disappointed...